XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Windows will not go up

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2020, 04:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windows will not go up

2004 xj8

recently removed sagging head liner for replacement. Drivers window was down during work. Everything put back together and now window will not go up. My first step was putting key in door. All windows and sunroof lowered when key held to right (maybe left). When turning in other direction, only sunroof closed.

I replaced drivers door switch. Still open. Replaced battery. Nothing. Replaced front control module. Nothing. All windows will not go up. Please help!!

Old 11-24-2020, 06:48 AM
Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

It is possible that a wire has broken in the loom where it goes from the door into the A pillar. If you can get a power supply to the window motor, then you can test the actual motor, if it works, at least you get it closed, then can work on the problem.

Old 11-24-2020, 08:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brian5
It is possible that a wire has broken in the loom where it goes from the door into the A pillar. If you can get a power supply to the window motor, then you can test the actual motor, if it works, at least you get it closed, then can work on the problem.
it’s a possibility but highly unlikely. All of the windows went down using key function. Will not go up. Testing the window motor is a last case scenario. All 4 window motors will need tested

Old 11-24-2020, 09:04 PM
Received 100 Likes on 88 Posts

Perhaps the electrical wiring diagram may help.

Old 11-25-2020, 06:07 AM
Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Did you know that the Global opening and closing works from the remote too?
press the open button and hold it and everything opens, press the lock button and hold it and everything closes.

I suspect a broken wire, as I have, and have had, similar problems, now and in the past, With my car, Global opening and closing works fine, but both rear windows will not work properly off the drivers door pack, they work fine off their switches. My first attempt at a repair was to replace the drivers door switch pack, which made absolutely no difference, I remember, I had a broken wire in the boot lid of my old X308, that actually caused running problems. once repaired, the car was fine.

Over time the wires become stiff and brittle, much like myself , so when pressure is put on them they can break, especially where the harness passes through channels in doors, boot lids etc. as the door is opened and closed the wire is flexed until it just can't take any more, again, much like myself, and it breaks, all other doors get used a lot less than the drivers door, so the wires should last a lot longer before they flex to breaking point.

Checking the wiring is cheaper than chucking parts at it, or paying to have it "reprogrammed", but it is time consuming, I would start at the drivers door, take the door panel off, and check the motor, then get into the footwell , remove the trim panel there, and find either end of the loom, at the multi plugs, and check each wire in turn, a multi meter set to resistance, with a buzzer, is a great tool for finding breaks in wires.

Old 11-25-2020, 07:37 AM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts

FYI Global Closing was disabled on US cars. Can be re-enabled through SDD (I did with the help of a forum Member who has SDD on a laptop.) I'm not sure why they disabled just Global Closing in the US, but I am betting on DOT or some other sanctioning body having images in their heads of children's arms being amputated by angry Jaguar windows while the owner presses his remote inside the Bar & Grill, unable to see the carnage he has created.

The following users liked this post:
Jakes XJR (12-02-2020)
Old 11-25-2020, 08:47 AM
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Blairware
FYI Global Closing was disabled on US cars. Can be re-enabled through SDD (I did with the help of a forum Member who has SDD on a laptop.) I'm not sure why they disabled just Global Closing in the US, but I am betting on DOT or some other sanctioning body having images in their heads of children's arms being amputated by angry Jaguar windows while the owner presses his remote inside the Bar & Grill, unable to see the carnage he has created.
man, this sucks....we have a 2006 Audi A8 with both auto opening and closing of all windows /sunroof. I use this feature all the time during summer months and was frustrated when trying to close them on the XJ.

Old 11-26-2020, 09:08 AM
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Global close/open

I sent my key through the wash one day and put it in a bag of rice to dry, put the bag on the dining room table. When I light rain started, I went outside to put my bike away, and there sat the X350, in a misting rain, all windows down, sunroof open. I guess the weight of the rice was pressing buttons. Just a "how about that" kind of story.

Old 01-23-2022, 07:53 PM
Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Any solution?

Originally Posted by Douglas Frisbee
it’s a possibility but highly unlikely. All of the windows went down using key function. Will not go up. Testing the window motor is a last case scenario. All 4 window motors will need tested
Hi Douglas, did you ever solve this problem?
My scenario is exactly the same. Headliner was replaced and shortly afterwards all the windows were stuck in the down position.
A friend with a code reader gave me "Fault in window control circuit." or something very similar.
The fact that you had almost the identical problem leads me to think that there is a vulnerability in the wiring which is messed up when the headliner is removed.
I've only had the car 2 days so I know nothing about how the headlining was done or what is revealed once the headlining is removed.
Mark
2004 XJR 46K miles