XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Windscreen Replacement, Desperately need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 10:55 PM
Received 215 Likes on 149 Posts
Default Windscreen Replacement, Desperately need help

My 2006 Super V8 windscreen was cracked the other day and needs to be replaced. I have searched the archives, but haven’t found much on this topic. Has anyone had theirs replaced? I have some concerns about the replacement.
The glass shop has ordered a genuine screen, adhesive, and gel pack for rain sensor (no outer chrome trim on my VIN), from the dealer and the receptionist at the glass shop says that they have no problem replacing it.

But I have some concerns:
The factory manual states that the A pillar covers, door seal, visors, upper switch panel, front of headliner, grab handles, have to come off. The sensors have to be disconnected from the pillar covers. The safety straps on the pillar covers have to be cut off new ones riveted on.
The bottom cowl/wipers have to be removed, but that’s no big deal.
This windscreen is heated, and the connections appear to be on the side VS bottom, like most. This is probably the need for the A pillar covers to come off.
This has me a bit concerned that a glass shop has the experience/tools with removing and fitting all of these interior systems without damage or poor workmanship.
As we all know, the interior fittings of Jaguars are susceptible to inexperienced hands, and the idea of forever loose or ill fitted panels would really make me bent.

Has anyone seen the glass replaced, and do they do it with all the pieces in place on the X350?
Older cars it’s a piece of cake, and nothing has to be removed.

I could remove the pieces prior, if indeed they need to be removed for the glass replacement. The “receptionist” at the glass shop told me not to do any of the work, that way if anything was snapped, they would been responsible. We all know how that goes!!! Constant excuses and denial. I really don’t want anything snapped in the first place. I don’t think she knows how complex this car can be. When was the last time you saw a rivet gun in a glass shop?
I'm not thrilled about pulling the parts prior, but not pulling them could be worse.
I have used this shop in the past with my older cars, and not had any problems, but my XJ-40 and Range Rover were nothing like the X350 procedure.
I called the service manager at the dealer (which I trust) he told me they have the same company do their glass. He wasn’t sure about the removal of parts, as he just drops the cars at the glass shop.

I have to make some decisions, so in a nutshell here it is:
1) Has anyone seen/watched their X350 windscreen replaced?
2) Does all of this stuff really have to come off the car for the glass replacement?
3) Does anyone really replace the straps on the pillar covers, when removed? (Cut off strap, rivet new straps on, (ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!) doubtfull the glass shops do.
5) If all the parts have to be removed, and I remove them prior, can I still drive the car to the shop?
6) Am I just over concerned and over thinking this whole process for no reason? (OCD)

Sorry for the long post, but if this job is screwed up, it’s something I will have to look at every minute I drive the car. I would love to go thru this repair the right/painless way and share my experience with the rest of you, so you don’t have go thru the same mess. Any ex-glass guys out there?
Thanks
Mark

Old 03-07-2015, 12:09 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 2007 XJ8L and have had the windshield replaced twice. I did not watch them do the repair but waited in their lobby for the work to be done. I do not believe they went thru all those steps.

Old 03-07-2015, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Mark

I know it can seem awful letting a stranger loose on your car, but if the windscreen firm is reputable, they will be doing jobs like this on all the upmarket cars; it is a routine job for them. Is it your choice of firm, or your insurance company ?

Now if you had one of the old Series 3 jaguars, I would be worried as well as these were a very early bonded screen and not many shops know how to replace these properly

Old 03-08-2015, 10:26 PM

Mark
Do you have a heated windscreen? It would be intresting to see how they reconnected the electrical connections on the side of the glass.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:53 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Mark, mine does not have the heated windscreen...

Old 03-10-2015, 07:52 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

I've had my windshield replaced, but it wasn't heated. I imagine to get to those connectors, you WILL have to remove the a-pillars, which really isn't a big dieal. I've had mine off to get to the sunvisor connector.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:05 PM

Thanks for the input. I'm having it replaced this week, and will
report back.
I did stop by the glass shop and discussed it with
the tech. He said he has just the tech for the job, and
understands my concerns. He also said it wont be a problem at all
if the A post covers have to be R/R. I feel much more at ease now.
He also said that the tech he has is far more experianced than the
specific location (same company) that is doing the dealers glass.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:27 PM

Windsceen is done ! I'm sooo OCD.
Glass shop only had to pull A pillar covers just enough to hook up leads for front glass heater (safety straps not cut). I pulled the cowl so I could clean out all the leaves and crap prior to clossin it up. They first cut the glass out close to the edge, then removed the rest so they could see what they were doing better. They didnt like the idea of removing it in one shot, as the seal is so close to the painted frame.
Now the only rock on the road will find me this week.
Thanks for the reassurance guys.
Mark