XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Windshield (screen) washer fixed

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 07:11 PM
Received 189 Likes on 123 Posts
Default Windshield (screen) washer fixed

2005 XJ8L passenger side washer stopped working. No water at all.

Gently removed hose from washer sprayer on blade and where it goes into housing, close to the drivers side blade, to who knows where.

Used a hand vacuum pump (Like the one used to bleed brakes) and put washer hose from sprayer end in the pump hose (Has to be rather small, maybe like 1/8 ID tube--guessing, didn't measure, and applied about 6 or 8 lbs of vacuum-nothing! Went to the other end of the washer hose and did the same thing--nothing.

Then put the vacuum outlet on the nipple going into the cars housing (the hose was way to large, the vacuum pump outlet nipple was just right) and applied vac. to see if that section was clogged. Nope! Got washer fluid that time.

Next, I put the 1/8th" hose from the pump onto the pressure side of the pump and then attached the other end to the washer hose and pumped. Poop! out came a glob of who knows what at the end of the washer hose by the sprayer end and blade.

Removed the pump, reattached the washer tubing at both ends and tried the washer from inside the car. Presto! Washer worked like a champ.

GUESS WORK: I believe the glob of gook that came out of the washer hose is a gel like substance I've noticed in my Gal jug of Washer Fluid I've had for a while and used when I needed top off of the washer fluid. (Rain-X Bug Remover & Windshield Washer) I'll keep it around for it does an excellent job of removing Bugs, but I will switch to a straight Windshield Washer fluid (any suggestions) for an excellent one. It's not worth the chance of the gel like substance to mess up the whole system again. I was lucky this time..

Cheers

The following users liked this post:
humbug2 (09-16-2016)
Old 09-14-2016, 08:59 PM
Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts

Nice job! Thanks for sharing.

Old 09-15-2016, 11:32 PM
Received 215 Likes on 149 Posts

I have been happy with the Prestone WW fluid for years. Works really good at hot and freezing temps, but wont be a factor for Texas/Florida. It will do a good job on "Florida love bugs". About the same price as Gooey rain-x.

The following users liked this post:
Chuck Schexnayder (09-18-2016)
Old 09-16-2016, 07:14 AM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 643 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Schexnayder
2005 XJ8L passenger side washer stopped working. No water at all.

Gently removed hose from washer sprayer on blade and where it goes into housing, close to the drivers side blade, to who knows where.

Used a hand vacuum pump (Like the one used to bleed brakes) and put washer hose from sprayer end in the pump hose (Has to be rather small, maybe like 1/8 ID tube--guessing, didn't measure, and applied about 6 or 8 lbs of vacuum-nothing! Went to the other end of the washer hose and did the same thing--nothing.

Then put the vacuum outlet on the nipple going into the cars housing (the hose was way to large, the vacuum pump outlet nipple was just right) and applied vac. to see if that section was clogged. Nope! Got washer fluid that time.

Next, I put the 1/8th" hose from the pump onto the pressure side of the pump and then attached the other end to the washer hose and pumped. Poop! out came a glob of who knows what at the end of the washer hose by the sprayer end and blade.

Removed the pump, reattached the washer tubing at both ends and tried the washer from inside the car. Presto! Washer worked like a champ.

GUESS WORK: I believe the glob of gook that came out of the washer hose is a gel like substance I've noticed in my Gal jug of Washer Fluid I've had for a while and used when I needed top off of the washer fluid. (Rain-X Bug Remover & Windshield Washer) I'll keep it around for it does an excellent job of removing Bugs, but I will switch to a straight Windshield Washer fluid (any suggestions) for an excellent one. It's not worth the chance of the gel like substance to mess up the whole system again. I was lucky this time..

Cheers
There is also another area that causes issues, and that is at the bottom of the arm where the washer hose exits the arm and attaches to the lower windscreen area. Both sides of mine was pinched between the arm spring and the pin which the spring attaches to the arm. (arm removal required to repair)