XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Windshield Seals and trim

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2023, 04:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Windshield Seals and trim

Hey folks.

About 10 days ago, I went outside to see that the windshield seals and trim are missing. All I could see were the plastic clips where a beautiful trim piece used to be.

There is a left and right inner black rubber seal, a left and right outer black rubber seal, and the metallic trim piece itself (either black, or chrome). I cannot get JPart to display the parts so I can't be sure of what's needed besides those 5 pieces. I know I will need clips, but there are 4 kinds. These parts are very pricey (of course). My local windshield place has quoted me $1,440.77 CAD just for the 5 pieces.

I can't find these parts anywhere except Britcars (OEM parts). Anyone got any ideas on how to find the parts I need instead of paying a windshield place to buy them from their dealer and then sell them to me with their markup?

I hope the reflections in the pictures aren't too distracting. The carport has some of that crappy green corrugated fiberglass on the roof. That's what you see in the windshield reflection. At least you can see what I am dealing with. Hell, I didn't even have the car long enough to get a picture of it before the pieces went missing. Honestly, I don't know if it was a black trim piece, or a 'Bright' one. The rear window has a black trim piece in between the seals. I presume the front would have been a match. Anyone else got a midnight black 2005 X350? Can you send a photo showing the detail on the trim pieces? I appreciate any help you can offer.

My perimeter camera showed a guy walking up my driveway at 0715 on the day I noticed the pieces missing. I watched the video about 30 minutes after the event. He walked up the driveway, there were some voices, then a couple of bangs. Then the camera stopped recording because he was out of frame and the motion detection didn't 'see' him. By the time I woke up, saw the video and got outside, he was gone. As I walked into the house, I saw the pieces were missing. It was so obvious. If they were missing when I bought it the night before, I would have noticed it. You can't miss it. Nobody recognizes the guy. I don't recognize him. Since then, my car has been keyed two times. Once on the trunk. Once on the passenger door. Both times at night. I now have two cameras on my driveway and a camera in the carport.

Old 01-16-2023, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 798 Likes on 670 Posts

Sorry to hear about your Jaguars misfortune.
Sounds like maybe an angry or jealous neighbor.
If you just purchased it the night before.
Was it from a used car dealer?
Do you have full coverage insurance?
Could be someone from its past.
Just collected some needed parts.

Old 01-16-2023, 05:36 PM

Hi Wingrider. I have insurance, but I don't want to claim for this. The deductible is $1,000. Nobody else around here has a Jag. They all drive beater 1/2 ton pickup trucks. About 4 years ago, when I bought my '99 VDP, one of my neighbours did make a few snarky remarks to a friend of mine about me 'pretending to be rich'. The '99 cost me $3,000...hardly a king's ransom! That's why I keep telling people that a beautiful older Jag isn't necessarily a rich person's car. They just think it is. I bought it from a private seller.

I wish the windshield trim from my '99 would fit. You know what is really hard to find? A clear photo of the windshield trim. I can't seem to find a nice clear shot of the trim anywhere.

Please folks, help me out. If you can, please post a clear photo of the windshield trim. Thanks.

Old 01-16-2023, 08:19 PM
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Looks like you're missing the outer molding https://parts.harperjaguar.com/oem-p...olding-c2c7970

You can see the whole piece here on eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/13431679133...Bk9SR6TQl9e3YQ

Sorry to think someone would vandalize your car like they have.

Old 01-16-2023, 10:55 PM
Received 154 Likes on 88 Posts

My XJR was missing the molding. And while I was able to find a replacement, I had trouble locating the various clips. In the end I went with this option (flexible gasket) which looks good to my eyes and was under $20 USD:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09B26XXFS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&th=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09B26XXFS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&th=1

Old 01-16-2023, 10:58 PM
Received 1,423 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by Imanonamas
Hey folks.

About 10 days ago, I went outside to see that the windshield seals and trim are missing. All I could see were the plastic clips where a beautiful trim piece used to be.

There is a left and right inner black rubber seal, a left and right outer black rubber seal, and the metallic trim piece itself (either black, or chrome). I cannot get JPart to display the parts so I can't be sure of what's needed besides those 5 pieces. I know I will need clips, but there are 4 kinds. These parts are very pricey (of course). My local windshield place has quoted me $1,440.77 CAD just for the 5 pieces.

I can't find these parts anywhere except Britcars (OEM parts). Anyone got any ideas on how to find the parts I need instead of paying a windshield place to buy them from their dealer and then sell them to me with their markup?

I hope the reflections in the pictures aren't too distracting. The carport has some of that crappy green corrugated fiberglass on the roof. That's what you see in the windshield reflection. At least you can see what I am dealing with. Hell, I didn't even have the car long enough to get a picture of it before the pieces went missing. Honestly, I don't know if it was a black trim piece, or a 'Bright' one. The rear window has a black trim piece in between the seals. I presume the front would have been a match. Anyone else got a midnight black 2005 X350? Can you send a photo showing the detail on the trim pieces? I appreciate any help you can offer.

My perimeter camera showed a guy walking up my driveway at 0715 on the day I noticed the pieces missing. I watched the video about 30 minutes after the event. He walked up the driveway, there were some voices, then a couple of bangs. Then the camera stopped recording because he was out of frame and the motion detection didn't 'see' him. By the time I woke up, saw the video and got outside, he was gone. As I walked into the house, I saw the pieces were missing. It was so obvious. If they were missing when I bought it the night before, I would have noticed it. You can't miss it. Nobody recognizes the guy. I don't recognize him. Since then, my car has been keyed two times. Once on the trunk. Once on the passenger door. Both times at night. I now have two cameras on my driveway and a camera in the carport.

PM me. I have all the clips you need sitting on my parts shelf... I still may even have the trim pieces in the corner of my garage.

Old 01-17-2023, 06:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 798 Likes on 670 Posts

Imanonamas wrote;

Nobody else around here has a Jag. They all drive beater 1/2 ton pickup trucks. About 4 years ago, when I bought my '99 VDP, one of my neighbours did make a few snarky remarks to a friend of mine about me 'pretending to be rich'. The '99 cost me $3,000...hardly a king's ransom! That's why I keep telling people that a beautiful older Jag isn't necessarily a rich person's car. They just think it is.

Yes the depreciation is a great thing.
For anyone who realizes just what your acquireing.
My neighbors all know if i bought it USED.
Got it for a good price, it will need to be repaired.
After it is, likely have it around a long time.
Even acquire another, just look at the bikes
Having lived here almost 45 years.
Seems everyone looks out for the old neighbor.
Who can probably fix it, has the needed tool.
If not, will probably know who does.

Old 01-18-2023, 06:49 PM
Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts

Here is a link to the Jaguar parts site in the UK. Jag parts UK

and the link incase I have done the link wrong https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.../brand/jaguar/

Old 01-23-2023, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by FreeWifi
You can see the whole piece here on eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/13431679133...Bk9SR6TQl9e3YQ
Thanks for the link. It looks like I am going to go that route. Does anyone know which clips, and how many of each, I will need to do the job?

Thanks.