XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Windshield wipers lift during snow

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 11:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Windshield wipers lift during snow

Hi Friends,

First of all my sincere apologies, if I'm asking any dump questions. I'm very new to this beast family and please do forgive me, if I'm so dump.

Questions:
1. I have seen many people lifting up the windshield wipers during snow time on their cars in order to prevent the wipers from ice freeze after or during snow. when I tried to do the same in my 2006 Jaguar XJ Super V8, I'm unable to lift it. Is there any specific way to do so or first of all is it necessary or advisable to do so?

2. If windshield wiper lift is not possible then what are the actions that I need to do with the frozen wiper before start using the car?

Thanks for your assistance and patience!

Old 11-21-2015, 11:18 AM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi you will notice that the bottom part of the windscreen has heating elements in even if you don't have a heated windscreen, the idea being that this will un-stick the wipers automatically, I can't comment on how effective it is though as I've only had my X350 since Feb and not yet see a frost!

Old 11-21-2015, 01:35 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I have a heated windshield, and when I still lived in snow belt, it took only a matter of a minute to melt the thickest of slabs of ice from the windshield, and free up the wipers. It would take me longer to chip the ice off the side windows. If was to pick nits, it was the vertical bands at the edges of the windshield that were not heated, that the wipers pass over. So it was totally unnecessary to attempt to lift the wipers off the windshield with a heated windshield. I have no personal experience with non-heated windshield X350's.

Old 11-21-2015, 06:25 PM
Received 2,266 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by sasie007
. when I tried to do the same in my 2006 Jaguar XJ Super V8, I'm unable to lift it. Is there any specific way to do so or first of all is it necessary or advisable to do so?
Stop the wipers so they are pointing vertically on the windshield surface.

Whether it's advisable depends on how hard it is to dug them free during a storm. I don't bother.

Old 11-21-2015, 06:38 PM
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaron 3.2
Hi you will notice that the bottom part of the windscreen has heating elements in even if you don't have a heated windscreen, the idea being that this will un-stick the wipers automatically, I can't comment on how effective it is though as I've only had my X350 since Feb and not yet see a frost!
Exactly this. The "non-heated" windscreens still have a small heated section where the wipers sit. If you turn on your rear screen heater it will heat that section of the front screen too.

Originally Posted by rhankey
I have a heated windshield, and when I still lived in snow belt, it took only a matter of a minute to melt the thickest of slabs of ice from the windshield, and free up the wipers. It would take me longer to chip the ice off the side windows. If was to pick nits, it was the vertical bands at the edges of the windshield that were not heated, that the wipers pass over. So it was totally unnecessary to attempt to lift the wipers off the windshield with a heated windshield. I have no personal experience with non-heated windshield X350's.
My XJR has a fully heated screen, our old X-Type did not. And the X-Type didn't have the same heated wiper section like the X350.

Back when we were living in Switzerland i would spend ages de-icing the front screen of the X-Type. Total PITA... the XJR would be ready to go within minutes...

Originally Posted by Mikey
Stop the wipers so they are pointing vertically on the windshield surface.

Whether it's advisable depends on how hard it is to dug them free during a storm. I don't bother.
The wipers on the X350 will always park, even if you turn off the ignition with them in the highest position. I guess this is why even the non-heated screens have that heated section at the wipers.

Old 11-21-2015, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Cambo
The wipers on the X350 will always park, even if you turn off the ignition with them in the highest position. I guess this is why even the non-heated screens have that heated section at the wipers.

Ah. I presumed that they did not always self park. Why then can the OP not seem to lift them?

Old 11-21-2015, 07:24 PM

Because they hit the rear edge of the bonnet if you try to lift them up.

Old 11-21-2015, 07:33 PM

Because they hit the rear edge of the bonnet if you try to lift them up.
Strange. Must be difficult to change blades then.

Old 11-21-2015, 07:35 PM

Not really, with the bonnet open you can lift the wipers up most of the way. When I change the blades I take the whole arm off, it's pretty easy in the end.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:36 AM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
Strange. Must be difficult to change blades then.

There's no issue with replacing the wiper blades even though the arms don't lift up. It might be easier with the hood open, but both can be swapped out in a matter of minutes even with the hood down.

Old 11-22-2015, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Originally Posted by sasie007
Hi Friends,

First of all my sincere apologies, if I'm asking any dump questions. I'm very new to this beast family and please do forgive me, if I'm so dump.

Questions:
1. I have seen many people lifting up the windshield wipers during snow time on their cars in order to prevent the wipers from ice freeze after or during snow. when I tried to do the same in my 2006 Jaguar XJ Super V8, I'm unable to lift it. Is there any specific way to do so or first of all is it necessary or advisable to do so?

2. If windshield wiper lift is not possible then what are the actions that I need to do with the frozen wiper before start using the car?

Thanks for your assistance and patience!
Aha, you've also found the design error on the windscreen wipers !! They cannot be pulled up so they stay up, and off the windscreen. What you have to do is find some pieces of wood and pull the wipers up a bit and let them down on the wood. Then, whne you next start the car, remember what you did previously and remove the pieces of wood, and don't forget to do so.

It is either this, or start the car in the freezing cold, then get out of the car leaving the engine running, and pull each wiper off the frozen screen. The heater elements at the bottom will melt any ice but it is not an instantaneous action, you have to wait a bit. If you are a patient sort of chap, just wait for the screen heater to do its job.

Last edited by Fraser Mitchell; 11-22-2015 at 03:09 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 445 Likes on 282 Posts

Bear in mind that the heated wiper park area is not standard on every X350. My car was a hot climate optioned and there is no heating element at all on the windscreen. It is the OE windscreen as well.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:09 PM

There are only two versions of the front windscreen for the X350

Heated - where the whole screen is heated
Non-Heated - which still has the heated section at the wipers

Only two options in the parts catalogue...

Old 11-24-2015, 07:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 445 Likes on 282 Posts

There are only two versions of the front windscreen for the X350

Heated - where the whole screen is heated
Non-Heated - which still has the heated section at the wipers

Only two options in the parts catalogue...
What part number is on the non-heated screen? I watched my windshield get replaced at the dealer and there were no wire connections for any defrost on the new screen or the old one... and I have had the A pillars off and there is no connection to the window.

Last edited by mhamilton; 11-24-2015 at 07:20 AM.