XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Windshild Washer Motor Removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2023, 11:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Windshild Washer Motor Removal

Hi everyone. Before I break anything thought I would ask the best way to remove the pump.
I seem to have reasonable access having removed the wheel liner and with wheel turned hard to the left.
Have power washed the area now ready to go.....
The pump seems solidly connected to the reservoir so before I end up breaking it need to get some suggestions on how to proceed.

Regards...

Old 09-10-2023, 01:19 PM
Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts

You may have 2 pumps, one for windscreen and one for headlights. I've done mine I am sure they just pull out.

The following users liked this post:
Petz (09-11-2023)
Old 09-10-2023, 01:51 PM

Thanks Joe, I do have two pumps and was assuming they pulled out but they seem so ridged, don't want to break them.
I'll try again with more commitment. lol

Old 09-10-2023, 03:03 PM

OK, little more commitment did it.... Found after removal that the pump is shorted. Assuming the fuse had blown so just trying to locate which fuse it is.

Old 09-10-2023, 04:18 PM

I removed the outer larger pump that was shorted but it seems I may have removed the headlight washer.
Is the windshield washer the outer or the smaller inner pump that seems to sit at a slight angle?

Old 09-10-2023, 04:46 PM

Hope I'm not boring anyone here, this is the only time I get to work on this car.
Here are a couple of pics of what I'm doing, wonder if anyone can tell me if this is the windshield washer pump or the head light pump?
Many thanks...

Old 09-10-2023, 04:52 PM

sdf

we
Sorry, am totally unable to upload my pics.
Maybe there's a trick.

Last edited by Estam; 09-10-2023 at 05:10 PM.
Old 09-10-2023, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 798 Likes on 670 Posts

You could have someone try to operate the windshield washer.
While you check the plug for current

Old 09-10-2023, 06:16 PM
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Is there a piece missing?

There got to be a gromet/filter without that gromet/filter the the windshield bottle will leak like a sive.
In my case that gromet/filter was all loaded up with some kind corrosion crud and it was the only piece that needed replacement.
After that windshield washer works just fine:
Originally Posted by Big Koshka
Thanks everybody!
It turned out to be a dirty filter. The filter is integrated into pump/motor assembly' seal.
replaced the seal and everything is working like a charm!

Old 09-11-2023, 05:03 AM
Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts

Great I ll be next to do mine on 2003 x350
Read about the dirt in the filter earlier .

Old 09-11-2023, 11:33 AM

Mine was a bit past its best... I think water was getting into it but not 100% sure

Old 09-17-2023, 03:16 PM

2005 vdp
Found both pumps shorted, the windshield washer pump is the inside and the headlight pump is the outside one.
Personally I have no use for the headlight washer, just a wast of juice so just left it disconnected.
Found on eBay: "2005 Jaguar XJ8 Washer Pump Trico 49428JS" $30.00 installed perfectly. The OEM was $160.00, wasn't going to happen.
Came with grommet but didn't have to use it, cut off old plug and crimped two blue spade connectors.

Before purchasing the pump while the other was still installed I disconnected the windshield washer line at the right angled
connection that's in the passenger side cowl where the cabin filter is located. Once disconnected blew down to the reservoir
and heard bubbles. All good that way but when blowing towards the wipers nothing, they were blocked.
Making a long story short there is a Tee in the other cowl that feeds each wiper. It's a bit of a hassle but working it over
you can get hold of the Tee and with tears it can be stretched and removed. Hard to see where it was blocked and ended
up running a 5/64ths drill through it and problem fixed. Make sure to clean it out and your set to go.
Replacing it is also a hassle but doable. What an extra inch of hosing would do, but you know, it's the cost.

Hope this helps someone.

Best regards,
Dave

Old 09-17-2023, 04:09 PM

In the UK if you have H.I.D headlights then the washer for the headlights must work for the annual road test. Not sure why because headlight jets never clean much off.

Old 09-17-2023, 04:29 PM

Ah yes, the annual road test, makes big money. Some guy over here proposed that once due to having so much junk on the road. Never heard from him again!

Your correct, they don't do much, I would tend to replace it for $30 and install a switch.

Old 09-18-2023, 03:09 AM
Received 216 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Koshka
Is there a piece missing?

There got to be a gromet/filter without that gromet/filter the the windshield bottle will leak like a sive.
In my case that gromet/filter was all loaded up with some kind corrosion crud and it was the only piece that needed replacement.
After that windshield washer works just fine:
In this thread, we are talking about the early setup,where the washer reservoir is located on the front right hand side of the car (up to VIN G49700). The picture posted shows the later setup, where the washer reservoir is located on the left hand side of the car behind the left front wheel. Here's the correct picture:

Best regards,
Thomas

Old 09-18-2023, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by JoeDredd
In the UK if you have H.I.D headlights then the washer for the headlights must work for the annual road test. Not sure why because headlight jets never clean much off.
The same applies for Germany, functioning headlight washers are mandatory for HID headlights.

Best regards,

Thomas

Old 09-18-2023, 03:59 AM

Maybe this can also help.

When I bought my car 5 years ago, I also had the issue that both windscreen and headlamp washers did not work. I found out that both pumps were seized and bought new ones.
The windscreen washer washer worked after the replacement, but the headlight washer did not.
After extensive and quite frustrating research (I suspected a broken cable), I found out that the culprit was the electric connector to the washer pump. At least one of the pins had widened and did not make connect properly to the contacts on the pump. Fortunately, you can replace the pins in the connector, and after that everything worked fine.

Also, I saw that there was a lot of dirt in the reservoir, so I removed it from the car and cleaned the inside. As it is difficult to reach the interior with a brush and shaking it with water is not sufficient to get rid of the dirt, I used a variant to the method often used to remove rust from motorcycle tanks, where you partially fill the tank with screws and place it into a cement mixer. The rotation will see that the screws scrape away the rust.
In my case, I used so called "mirror granules", which are actually used for decorating purposes, and the tablets that are used for cleaning dentures (not a joke!).
Fill some of the granules, a tablet and some water into the reservoir, close all the openings with some plugs (old corks from wine bottles or similar), and start shaking the reservoir in all directions possible. It take some time, and maybe you need to repeat the process, but in the end the reservoir looks like new inside and you will not have any problems with dirt blocking filters and tubes.

Sorry that I did not take pictures of the process, but I hope that my description works.

Best regards,

Thomas

Old 09-18-2023, 10:22 AM

Thanks Thomas, I don't seem to see your picture you posted!

I seem to regret mentioning the headlight washer thing ...... $5 for a hidden switch for those who want to conserve liquid : -)

My point was more the Tee that diverts the windshield washer liquid to each wiper goes from 1/8th inch hose to a 5/64th hose in the Tee fitting.
If your having problems with the spray at the wipers, by disconnecting that right angled fitting in the cowl and blowing quickly tells which end the problem is.

My reservoir is on my right side and doesn't seem to have a grommet filter, looks to be a pain to get out but did stick a power washer in it on a nice warm day and with the pump removed it drained and got out a bunch of stuff.

Why are functioning headlight washers mandatory for HID headlights, do they get more dirty than regular headlights?

Regard,

Dave

Old 09-18-2023, 11:00 AM

Quote: "...Why are functioning headlight washers mandatory for HID headlights, do they get more dirty than regular headlights?..."

The reasoning is that as the HID light s are more powerful than the halogen ones and are mostly combined to lenses that bundle the light differently than standard headlights, the beam can get more disturbing to oncoming traffic when distorted by dirt, so that the headlights need to be cleaned more often than standard ones.

Whether this is true or not, is another matter.

In fact, I have headlight washers on more than one car, and I even retrofitted them, because I have seen that, especially in wintertime and snowy conditions, they are very useful to keep the headlights clean and thus improving the visibility at night.

Best regards,

Thomas

Old 09-18-2023, 11:03 AM

Quote: "...I don't seem to see your picture you posted!..."

Sorry for that, but I do see them when I call up the thread and did not get any error when posting them. It might be a problem with your pc, but does anybody else have this problem?

Thanks and best regards,

Thomas

Quick Reply: Windshild Washer Motor Removal