XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Wise words to keep us from falling out of love...with our cars:)

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 12:06 PM
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Wise words to keep us from falling out of love...with our cars:)

I worked for an interesting character when I was in college. Any of you who read Road and Track know Peter Egan's column Side Glances. In his column he frequently talked about his neighbor, friend, and former boss Chris Beebe. Chris is a unique guy, and I was able to learn a few good things from him. One of his tidbits was:
Never let more than 3 things be wrong with your car at one time. If you do, you will start to fall out of love with it.

I tend to buy 5-10 year old sports/exotic/premium cars, as I am sure many here do, and am used to many things going wrong routinely. I do find that as I get a little older, my tolerance drops a bit, and I need to keep reminding myself of this lesson.

Right now, my XJR has more than 3 things wrong.
1. No drivers side heat. Likely heater core, though I am determined to try a fix on my own before I have the core replaced.
2. Windshield wipers don't work. Safety issue, and will have to be sorted out today.
3. Unidentified ticking noise not from the engine that is driving me insane.
4. Electrical gremlins I think related to need for a new battery (has the original from 2004). Every time I start my car the fuel door pops open, the interior light comes on, and the glove box opens.
5. Stereo CD volume is erratic. Annoying.
6. Front suspension needs new bushings. Will wait until warmer weather.
7. Unknown coolant leak. I suspect the hose under the supercharger. Doesn't lose coolant, but I can smell it when I walk around the car after parking it.

Quite a list. Now, I know it is my fault that the list got so long. I usually do enjoy figuring the issues out, pretending that I am at least as smart as the Jag mechanics, and repairing the issues in my nice shop. But life can get in the way and time is precious.

I guess I am just venting. I have to repair at least five things to get my list to a point where I am back in love with my Jag. Add to that the list (6) of things I have to do to my wife's 750Li...I need a vacation to just work on my cars

The following users liked this post:
Anxious Jim (12-27-2013)
Old 12-21-2013, 02:05 PM
Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

[QUOTE=Drb007;876815]

3. Unidentified ticking noise not from the engine that is driving me insane.
Ours does that too, I believe this is normal. Some type of device over near the driver side front. Vague I know, but it's a known noise and not anything to repair AFAIK.

4. Electrical gremlins I think related to need for a new battery (has the original from 2004). Every time I start my car the fuel door pops open, the interior light comes on, and the glove box opens.
Those are bizarre symptoms. Our '04 also had an original Jag battery, and when replaced a few gremlins did go away.

5. Stereo CD volume is erratic. Annoying.
I wonder if this has to do with the auto volume that is supposed to counter wind/highway noise? How erratic are we talking?

Quite a list.
Yep, and the best way to tackle is to write them down and focus on one at a time, otherwise it gets overwhelming. The first thing we did to ours was take it to the dealer for a recall/warranty repair that was still due. A software update for the transmission. (Just saying that while also wrenching on my 1974 260z 4-speed makes me shake my head).

Anyway, as a result of that trip the service manager handed me a nice 2-page list of boo-boos. Most are relatively benign like burned/broken exterior lights and worn suspension bushings. One biggie, leaking transmission lines. I finally tackled it and now have more confidence to keep going.

Fully agree with you that if let more than a few things slide the car will really start to go downhill.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:42 PM
Received 224 Likes on 125 Posts
Default Totally Agree...

I think thats a good mantra - 3 known issues is a good limit.

Just thinking,

1. Heater Core. Warm....... You know the A/C side will be bad when it gets hot now !!
2. Lower control arm bushings.
3. Intermittent on/off left headlight.

Also Sunroof fabric (not a biggie I know).

My initial list was huge, but has been wittled down to these now.

My main gripe is not having fitted items there, like hood insulator, radiator splash Valance, undertray and lots of clips. But thats purely a $$$$ issue around this time of year.

But every time I see her, I look forward to climbing in and driving her.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Essentially you just have to list, then tick off the items when they're fixed, until finally there are none left. This assumes no more things happen and need adding to the list, of course !!

I had quite a list at one time, now nothing, apart from the "hunting" syndrome, and I have now got used to it, so it doesn't bother me no more. (put the tranny in 4 until 10 miles have gone by). I suppose this will come back to bite me some time.

Next job is optional, which is to convert to "Comfort" air spring units. I already have two new rears at about 1/4 the Jaguar price. Just need the fronts now. This car looks about 5 years old yet is now 10, and goes very nicely still. As I am retired, I think I shall keep it for some years as it is all paid-off, and to get something newer, and maybe not better, (Jaguar of course), needs several thousand pounds I haven't got.

Old 12-21-2013, 06:23 PM

3. Intermittent on/off left headlight.
Simple bulb replacement fixed this on our Jag. Supposedly if ignored the igniter box may be affected.

The following users liked this post:
trosty (12-25-2013)
Old 12-22-2013, 08:16 AM
Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Drb007
Every time I start my car the fuel door pops open, the interior light comes on, and the glove box opens.
That's just the English sense of humor …

Peter Egan is one of my favorite authors. I looked forward to reading his articles in car and m/cycle magazines. So sad now that he has announced his retirement from writing. He said that he has a bit of a health issue to deal with …. welcome to the club, Peter.

BTW, after spending some $$$ last week on the XJ8 my list is now ZERO. YEA!

Old 12-22-2013, 09:51 AM
cjd
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

Guess I'm too annal. One item and I'm ordering parts and planning for the next decent day to take care of it.

My only exception are non-critical issues that are intermittent. Jags have a lot of those. I no longer chase intermittent problems, as you can spend a lot of time and money accomplishing nothing, since you can't be sure if you found the right problem. I wait till they are "hard broke", so I also know when they are fixed.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:30 PM

Well, I got the washers working. And I think my coolant cap is leaking, so I'll order a new one. Keep hacking away at the list!

Old 12-22-2013, 11:24 PM

You sure it's not the coolant reserve tank leaking? They have a high failure rate.

Old 12-25-2013, 02:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting philosophy...I like the three issues limit.

Old 12-26-2013, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 260 Posts

I agree with number three.
Mine has a non functioning driver's door handle (I had still no time to look at it seriously), a too zealous rear folding mirror (doesn't come up sufficiently when engaging D after R), and a cold start clattering noise for a bit too long for my taste (but probably normal however as I don't use the car everyday).
I can live with these three issues for now...

Old 12-26-2013, 05:50 PM
Received 224 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by paydase
I agree with number three.
Mine has a non functioning driver's door handle (I had still no time to look at it seriously), a too zealous rear folding mirror (doesn't come up sufficiently when engaging D after R), and a cold start clattering noise for a bit too long for my taste (but probably normal however as I don't use the car everyday).
I can live with these three issues for now...
The cold start clatter noise, does it sound like its coming from the front of the vehicle at the base of the radiator?
Mine does this for a few seconds when starting in the cold. It has me worried sometimes too.

My right wing mirror is temperamental like that too.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:11 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Some solutions for you

Your coolant smell is no doubt the plastic reservoir. At 80,000 miles on my 2005, I am on my 3rd unit. The plastic seams eventually separate enough to ooze coolant. It starts out to be just the smell; too little leakage to detect. Soon afterwards it develops into a full leak. New unit is about $120 bucks and takes about an hour to swap in.

Your annoying ticking may be the relay for your air suspension. It sits in the fuse/relay box near the front of the car under the hood. Tick-tick-tick-tick like a fast clock.

Tom

Old 12-27-2013, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by TomP
Your coolant smell is no doubt the plastic reservoir. At 80,000 miles on my 2005, I am on my 3rd unit. The plastic seams eventually separate enough to ooze coolant. It starts out to be just the smell; too little leakage to detect. Soon afterwards it develops into a full leak. New unit is about $120 bucks and takes about an hour to swap in.
I got this one from Amazon at $68, and it's an OEM Jaguar part.

C2C C2Z13764 02-10 Jaguar Vanden Plas S-Type XF XJ Expansion Bottle / Coolant Reservoir Tank 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 : Amazon.com : Automotive C2C C2Z13764 02-10 Jaguar Vanden Plas S-Type XF XJ Expansion Bottle / Coolant Reservoir Tank 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 : Amazon.com : Automotive

Your annoying ticking may be the relay for your air suspension. It sits in the fuse/relay box near the front of the car under the hood. Tick-tick-tick-tick like a fast clock.

Tom
Now I remember what the fix is. Locate the relay and surround it with some padding/insulation.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:22 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Drb - what a great post. Egan is an outstanding writer; I did not know he was retiring. I stay so busy with "stuff" that I haven't been able to read those magazines for the past several years. I actually sent him a letter about 10 years ago telling him how much I enjoyed his writing and that it's his fault that I've bought so many cars & motorcycles. I wondered if he'd be willing to have a Guinness some time. My plan was to the the bike up there to meet him. Unfortunately I never heard back from him.

Anyway, I'm kind of in the same boat as you; currently my VDP is in the shop for the dreaded CATS system failure. This is the 2nd time in 7 months. Incidentally, my driver's side door actuator is also broken. The last time it was in the shop for the suspension failure, the passenger side actuator was broken, too.

Like you, I have less & less patience for these sorts of things. I'm unable to LOCK MY VEHICLE when the actuator(s) are broken. Such a stupid design. Talk about a safety issue! I told myself this time: "You know, I just don't have the time for such an unreliable vehicle anymore." I'm considering a 3500 mile trip this summer and sadly, the Jag is not even being considered for the trip. What does it say about a vehicle that I just can't trust? (I just changed my coolant expansion tank 2 weeks ago.) I knew, when buying this car, that it's higher maintenance than a Toyota Anything, but it's so much fun to drive: sexy, powerful, efficient.

The only thing I might be able to help with is your #3 - ticking noise. Might it be what's called the purge valve? Mine does that too & there are a few threads on it. In short, it's annoying but harmless. Also #1 - drivers side heat. Yeah, I would expect heater core. I had mine replaced last year. It worked wonderfully for TWO WEEKS then went back to the same thing. SURELY a second core didn't get clogged? I just have been to angry to try to fix it again.

Thanks again for the good post.

By the way Norm 427 - your link to your son's page was awesome. My 18 year-old son is my best friend, and I can't imagine what you've gone through. His life looks like the life that I would dream of. I truly hope you are able to find peace.

Happy New Year to all of us.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Anxious Jim
By the way Norm 427 - your link to your son's page was awesome. My 18 year-old son is my best friend, and I can't imagine what you've gone through. His life looks like the life that I would dream of. I truly hope you are able to find peace.

Happy New Year to all of us.
Jim, it's been said that losing a child is the ultimate tragedy in life. I now believe it.

Thanks for your kind words.

Norm

Old 12-29-2013, 05:58 AM
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm 427
Jim, it's been said that losing a child is the ultimate tragedy in life. I now believe it.

Thanks fofor your kind words.

Norm
It's 540 AM and Ive read every word, article and looked at every amazing photo in detail! He certainly captured the essence of whatever he photographed. It's been over 3 hours(I've followed link after, link after, link great young man, talent and heart) and I must get a couple hours rest... I'm know you're a proud dad.

This post made me take an extra gander in my daughters room and will call my son upon awaking...

Ikon

Old 12-29-2013, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by The_Ikon
It's 540 AM and Ive read every word, article and looked at every amazing photo in detail! He certainly captured the essence of whatever he photographed. It's been over 3 hours (I've followed link after, link after, link great young man, talent and heart) and I must get a couple hours rest... I'm know you're a proud dad.

This post made me take an extra gander in my daughters room and will call my son upon awaking...

Ikon
Ikon, thank you for what you've just said. I'm sure that your children are very lucky to have you as their father. Enjoy every day with them.

I was a very lucky "dad". My son was my best friend in life and we did nearly everything together. He was very talented, smart (a physician), athletic, etc. But the most amazing thing about him that I loved was our close friendship. He was only 34 and in the prime of his life when he left this world of ours ...

Thanks again for your interest in his 2007 blog of flying his bush plane in Alaska. He would be very happy to know that his website has been visited over 320,000 times by people all around the world.

All the best in the coming year,
Norm

Last edited by Norm 427; 12-29-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:09 PM

I have been fighting continuously with the washers. I finally figured out the issues is freezing at the pump. I drained it, let it thaw, and added new fluid that is good to -34. Cross my fingers.

Put a new battery in today and the electrical gremlins are gone!

Old 12-29-2013, 04:02 PM
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm 427
Ikon, thank you for what you've just said. I'm sure that your children are very lucky to have you as their father. Enjoy every day with them.

I was a very lucky "dad". My son was my best friend in life and we did nearly everything together. He was very talented, smart (a physician), athletic, etc. But the most amazing thing about him that I loved was our close friendship. He was only 34 and in the prime of his life when he left this world of ours ...

Thanks again for your interest in his 2007 blog of flying his bush plane in Alaska. He would be very happy to know that his website has been visited over 320,000 times by people all around the world.

All the best in the coming year,
Norm
The same to you Norm... same to you.....!

Quick Reply: Wise words to keep us from falling out of love...with our cars:)