XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Would you buy a green one?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 08:52 PM
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Would you buy a green one?

OK, I have a chance at a nice XJ in green, 05, and have owned 30ish cars in my day but none were green(that I recall).

How much of a penalty is the green color? And how nice a green is it since I don't recall seeing one in person? Probably a good stealth color also for the 'least ticketed car in the US."

Quick replies are appreciated since I will decide this weekend. Thanks!

signed,

'Green behind the ears'

Old 02-04-2012, 09:06 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Well I have a GREEN S-Type. The question is can you deal with it?

Old 02-04-2012, 09:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Racing green is the quintessential color for a Jaguar. However, I think for a modern X350 XJ, black is probably best. Makes it sleeker and more classy looking. Maybe for an XJR, I'd prefer racing green, though!

Old 02-04-2012, 09:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,368 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Only if it's Jaguar Racing Green and not BRG!

Old 02-04-2012, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

might be "Seafrost" I seem to see a lot of X350's in that.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member

If it really is Seafrost, I'd say that's a huge penalty. It would be a deal-breaker for me.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
If it really is Seafrost, I'd say that's a huge penalty. It would be a deal-breaker for me.
Alan! You've been too long on the forums, here!

Somewhere....don't remember which section there is a thread about whether or not Seafrost is a feminine color. I've seen an S-Type or two in Seafrost that were absolutely beautiful cars. If the deal was sweet, I really can't think of a stock Jag color I'd walk away from...but I'd reckon "gold" and its derivatives are my least favorite. Not being critical, just my personal preference or non-preference as it were.

BTW, Is there a difference between BRG and JRG? Honest question...never seen examples side-by-side. Have seen adverts claiming both but either looked like "dark green" to me (or black, if I have the laptop screen a bit off-angle!)

Then again....much hinges on what the OP means by "is it a penalty?" If in regard to resale value, color is probably not moving the needle greatly in either direction, given its race to < 4 figures! For me, the old saw that Jags are cantankerous, fuel-thirsty money-pits is goodness that results in many fine specimens in a variety of colors being available at reasonable prices in the used market.

Last edited by aholbro1; 02-04-2012 at 11:23 PM. Reason: changed 5 to 4; can't count after 10 pm
Old 02-04-2012, 10:55 PM

Well, this one is the newer metallic dark green one of the bottom of the list colors for me in FL along w/black, blue & gray(it's only an opinion). Used to dislike red but now it's one of my faves along with white, silver, seafoam, and yes, wait for it, gold. to top it off, my classic & classy late Italian grandmother said to never buy a green car as she was ejected through the windshield in the 40's by my grandfather in one(not that that's influencing my choice).

So without tipping off this exact example, it is the best deal on this model that I can find, 1 ownah elderly gent BUT, I hate the idea of buying it unseen from a private party w/no ebay or dealer recourse(the main reason I'm still shopping after all this time). The extra kick in the azz is that I live in the 4th richest area in Fl but it's a small sno-bird town and all these lovely jags(and astons/rolls etc) sit in an a/c garage for 8 months only to paraded around town like a look-but-don't touch stripper for a couple months and NEVER offered for sale locally.

So all that plus the idea of dumping a hybrid accord still under warranty (25-31mpgs) for a dream Jag saloon long out of warranty is what's making me post for your opinions. There, I've bared my Jag soul and it feels good. Any advice?

Ok, tipping my hand-05 Super V8, <50k, sketchy info, clean carfax and <20k by a fair bit. Pretty safe I think as most of you already have your XJ.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:40 PM
Veteran Member

Hehe, Jeff, you'll hafta find a use for the extra cash you'll have from fuel savings after you grab the Jag and download that Honda - I'm serious! 25-31? That's it?!?
Dude! Not trying to run-down your ride...but go park it next to that LWB Jag, sit inside each...looking out at the other...then think about getting roughly the same fuel mileage....wow! Unless nearly all of your driving is constant stop and go, with more stop than go....I doubt you'll see much difference - Probably flirt with 30 on the highway and near 20 to low 20's strictly in town.

Certainly understand your shyness of the "good" colors in what sounds like S. FL. To be honest, before acquiring the Black Excursion in 2002, I was looking/hoping for a white one, and again when looking for an X300, I wasn't too concerned about color but white would've been my preference. However, since then....I've acquired a PC polisher and Meguiar's MF/DA correction system and "had a go" at both my black XJ and my daughter's white S-type and I hafta say....110 deg TX days be damned....I'll be looking for a black Super V-8 if I ever wear the inline 6 out (hoping I won't...but I realize all good things must eventually come to an end)
Those darker colors just shine up so fantastically!

Best of luck with it..and be sure to post up some pics once you close the deal.

BTW, there was a racing association, believe it was NASCAR that long-held green to be horribly unlucky and no one drove a green car on the circuit. Someone may have a better handle on the story, I recall reading and article or book about it.

Last edited by aholbro1; 02-04-2012 at 11:44 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:03 AM

Yeah, the HAH(Honda accord hybrid) with me at the wheel in NY got maybe 22, with the wife, 24-25 as she does now in flat FL. The most expensive and fastest accord ever(until the new ones but still a match). One guy has the HAH & the V6 and says that when he gets 21-22 in the HAH, he'll be getting 17 in his V6.

And yea, the Accord is great inside for the $$(1/2 a plain XJ) but Ford surely could have done more in the XJ inside, sweet as it is. Still, I'd rather the $$ be spent under the hood as they did.

So what pratfalls can I be wary of? Air shox, mass sensor, water pump, torque converter? What else am I missing?

And my Honda warranty runs out soon anyways...8 '}

Old 02-05-2012, 12:38 AM
Veteran Member

The air-suspension made it a deal-killer for me, until I discovered a real-spring replacement set by an outfit local to either the DFW area here or perhaps they hail from the Houston area. Anyway, great reports as to the ride and handling with it installed and I believe if one is judicious about it, it could be done for $3k or less. So I have allowed the X350 back into consideration as my many-years-out XJ6 replacement. I think I'd go the replacement springs route at the first shock or compressor failure and see if I couldn't make some of the investment back by selling the remaining functional items to the guys trying to piece-together their air-systems. But I run them until they are ready for charitable donation - so I can't consider a car that needs a repair worth it's total value or multiples of it, over, and over and over...
Don't know much about the model beyond that, except it is bigger and has a larger fuel tank than prior XJ's, both of which are "goodness" in my book. I thought waterpumps were brought up to snuff before the X308 production ended? Hadn't heard about a torque-converter problem; assumed it probably used the same ZF 6 spd "sealed for life" (That means necessary and proper fluid changes are harder) xmsn as the S-Types, and unaware of a Q-converter problem on those. There are posts about a corrosion problem on or near the bootlid somewhere, and I don't believe it is tied to the rust belt (ie, FL car may be just as vulnerable)

I really thought the V-8's were pretty solid by the 04/05 MY's. Now the S-type section is replete with references to the "dreaded under the supercharger coolant hose" and I have no idea but would expect the Super V8 to have that....sounds like when it does rupture, it is a REAL (Newt's 2nd wife) to R&R!

Don't know if it was an Accord or not (Likely an Insight) but a lady just won near $10k judgement against Honda in CA small claims court because she expected the 50 mpg Honda claimed for the car. May look into that...apparently a class-action suit is brewing and she opted out of the class to pursue her own avenues, is encouraging others to do likewise. With no attorney to skim the cream (ha, all but the "leavings" more likely) you'd practically have initial purchase price for the Jag in-hand!

Old 02-05-2012, 04:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Green cars have never been in my to do list either lol
However, they're rarer than white colors and I think green is fairly nicer than white color cars

Old 02-05-2012, 04:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Well, mine is Jaguar Racing Green metallic, and looks superb; everybody who comments on the car mentions how nice the colour is and how it suits the car. Here we are at Bacharach on the Rhine, Germany.

Attached Thumbnails Would you buy a green one?-bacharach-jaguar-small-.jpg  
Old 02-05-2012, 08:17 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Had a BRG S type here. A close friend had a JRG XJR and it looked astonishing. My personal X350 is in black and I must concur with other forum members: If it's seafoam, I'd have to back off. Lol

Old 02-05-2012, 09:05 AM
Received 309 Likes on 114 Posts
Default XJR in Jaguar Racing Green

This is the best picture of it in Jaguar Racing Green with Champagne interior. Now we have an idea what the color looks like. This is a 2006 XJR with 21K miles asking $32,900. I don't know the market from buying from old Florida guys. I have seen it at the dealer. The color is very very metallic green almost candy like. You obviously wouldn't see one like this around. Its very striking in the sun, if this is what you're looking for. Check it out. It obviously didn't take a beating in the Chicago sun! Buy what you want and forget resale...enjoy it. Used 2006 Jaguar XJ XJR For Sale | Wilmette IL .

Old 02-05-2012, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member

HMmm... that Jaguar Racing Green does look great with the body colored grille.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:06 AM

The green is growing on me-it does have a nice blue underhue. My color pref in descending order now: white, red, light blue, silver, green, seafart, gold, blue, black, gray but more important to get the model/cond I want.

Curious about the Honda judgement but the HAH was only rated at: Compare Old and New MPG Estimates

And we had 2 Lincoln Mk8's with notoriously leaky air bags-many guys installed the kit from American Air and loved it even more. What's an easy check for the air shox? Overnight height at the wheel well? I would def so hard springs if the system went.
Thanks again for all the info.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member

I agree with Alan...but would extend the comment to ALL X350's looking better with body-color grille, even the gold ones! And I Do love me some chrome! Guess I'm really agreeing with Clarkson.......

Ed, it is striking in that photo

Oh, and for perspective...your least favorite color (colour) whatever it may be....will always look better on an XJ than your favorite will on something else! (at least that's how it works for me)

Last edited by aholbro1; 02-05-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:14 AM

Any chance anyone's in Charleston to go for a quick look on my behalf? A 6 pk of Newcastle for your efforts(!).

Old 02-05-2012, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jeffn
Curious about the Honda judgement but the HAH was only rated at: Compare Old and New MPG Estimates
I read about it on foxnews.com within the last week but can't find anything but a video over there now.....but this will get you started:

Honda Civic lawsuit - latimes.com

it was a Civic.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a green one?