XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Would you buy a green one?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 10:55 AM
Received 309 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Go big XJR-Supercharged

Don't think Charleston is near me but, I saw this one. It's flawless. No worries they ship!

I'll get down to Wilmette for Makers Mark. In fact no snow here got the XF SC on the road yesterday.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:03 AM
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Sweet but 1/2 the miles and twice the $$.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:47 AM
Default Ah yes$$

I purchased the 04' XJ VDP for $19k with 40K miles last July. Car was perfect with new tires, all fluids, new battery... XJR's are a premium. Good luck. I think the that Green was hot on XJR.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:27 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default I'm happy with my BRG 2007 XJ8L

I like it! Yeah, I've heard all the used car lot BS about green cars don't sell. I admit some green cars are ugly. The dark color of the BRG makes it attractive. Plus it's an old British color!

Not many cars with that shade of green out there. Of course, that very popular green on the Nissan Altima is everywhere, even on the Aston Martin!

As the sun goes down the color appears black. Keep it washed and waxed or it looks kinda drab.

I could not find a black XJ8 with the Barley leather interior when I was ready to buy. Black interior to me is depressing.

The BRG is not a metallic paint.

Be happy with the whole car before you buy, there are plenty out there to look at, don't rush it.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,369 Likes on 1,484 Posts

Originally Posted by aholbro1

BTW, Is there a difference between BRG and JRG? Honest question...never seen examples side-by-side. Have seen adverts claiming both but either looked like "dark green" to me (or black, if I have the laptop screen a bit off-angle!)
BRG is the traditional solid green, while JRG is a vibrant metallic green.

The following users liked this post:
aholbro1 (02-05-2012)
Old 02-05-2012, 01:43 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Have to say Seafrost did break my first Jag acquisition, wanted a 4.0V8 S-type, found one less than 10 miles away, drove great, could NOT live with that colour. Sorry if you've got one, but hey, as long as you like it!
I've seen Jag Racing Green XJ's in the flesh - THAT is a Great colour!

Old 02-05-2012, 01:53 PM

Yeah, not rushing it as I've been looking almost 2 years...8 ' }

I'll have the car inspected at the dealer that's worked on it tomorrow.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:01 PM
Banned
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Talking

Here's my take on the matter. Buying a car, or some other item, like a suit, a pair of shoes, or even a wife, etc., can sometimes take on a "Keynesian Beauty Contest" element, whereby you buy the color that "they" think is the best or most attractive. You may or may not actually like it deep down, but you know it will earn "their" approval. Home purchases in ritzy neighborhoods such as HP or UP in Dallas are good examples-you want to be included in "the club". I say to heck with all that. Keynes was W R O N G! Adam Smith got it right in "...Wealth of Nations". Buy the machine that tickles you pink every time you climb in it! And drive real fast and enjoy the Coventry Cat! BTW, I saw a Green XJR slowly rumbling through Lille, France one night last year-it looked AWESOME!! And I'll have to admit, the green makes you look smarter. I can't explain it, but it does.

edobernig (02-05-2012)
Old 02-05-2012, 11:11 PM

'And I'll have to admit, the green makes you look smarter.'

Something that will come in handy from time to time...

Offer in and accepted pending Jag inspection and service review. Wish me luck!

Old 02-06-2012, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,269 Likes on 695 Posts

This is my 2nd BRG Jaguar. So obviously my favorite colour. The JRG colour is a bit too pimped out for my taste. The BRG is just right. At night I've had valets mistake it for black due to its non-metallic paint.

More pics in my albums.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:35 PM

So let the Jag $$ spending begin; $305 for a pre buy inspection.

And the service tech couldn't be specific(HIPPA?)but he said it was service there since '05, nothing major and regular servicing until 40k in '09. Sounds OK so far.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:19 PM

Ok, D-day time and thanks for all the input. Small issues, they freed up the rear shade and now it works, leaper is missing but he has it-450-500 to replace it, worn out spare tire, and how about this: rusty underneath(like my Forester which lives 40' from the ocean as will the Jag). Ah, and it needs parking brake pads-didn't know they were separate from the rear calipers.

Surface rust underneath means it wasn't garaged but that's life. They said it was far better than a northern car though. All systems checked out, paint was fine. Frankly I expected more form a Jag dealer for $305 than the checklist they did but at least it all checked out.

So buying this for rough trade in nada sound OK? Just need a little handholding while I thumbsuck over buying this sight unseen.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

First off, I would be a bit cautious buying a car without driving it first. A test drive is always very well worth it. No inspection by a remote organisation can substitute for this. Also personally seeing the car, and the documents that come with it means you can see if the car is right for you. Of course here in England we usually don't have to travel far to see a car, so maybe using an agent, and not personally driving and testing a car is usual in the US due to distances. Is this the case ?

As to their report, I am not sure what they mean by rust underneath when the car is made of aluminium !! Some aluminium corrosion maybe. Exhaust is stainless steel throughout, but can get some very mild surface rusting on it. FWIW I had my own car up on the lift last week, and it looked pretty good, and this is a car living outside in damp, wet, and cold England.

Yes, cars with the Brembo brakes have separate parkbrake pads. These should not really wear out at all, as they are only applied when the car stops. Maybe a fault with the electric parkbrake system, or not calibrated correctly in the past.

I am puzzled the spare tyre is worn out, as this is normally a 'space-saver' type not intended for general road use, and is limited to 50 mph maximum. It's really for getting you home and to a tyre shop in the shortest possible distance.

Did the inspection report include a road test ? Anyway the car looks OK on your post and if the report is positive and seems to show it has been looked after, if the price is right, go for it.

rust

Noun:A reddish- or yellowish-brown flaky coating of iron oxide that is formed on iron or steel by oxidation, esp. in the presence of moisture.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:11 PM

Yes, the main reason I've lurked in here w/o ever owning a Jag is that they are abundant in my small berg but never offered for sale. And our FL salt air right off the ocean blows hard on us and coats everything so whatever will oxidise, will. This XJ was in Charleston, an oceanfront town so must have lived outside or in a carport to have 'heavy rust' underneath & on the exhaust.

The spare is an Assymetrico with a gash and rot so may be oem-not sure why why they saved it and got rid of the orig spare.

Could the elderly owners have driven with the park brake on? Would it move?

Overall, I get the sense that it's a clean car that had basic maintenance done, nothing needed now evidently and may need some TLC, detailing etc as of now.

Yes, I should hop in the car and make the drive to sniff test it myself even though the service rep said they would have this one on their lot once put perfect.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member

Could the elderly owners have driven with the park brake on? Would it move?
Answer is No, as the parkbrake is applied and released by the car automatically. Selection of Park applies it, and moving off Park releases it. Note that you can't move the lever from Park unless you apply the footbrake, (like most other automatic cars; my wife's New Beetle is the same). Only thing is if the mechanism got disturbed for some reason so that the pads rubbed on the discs too much, because the linkage needed lubrication.

With all that "bracing sea air", the car will have suffered windblown salt spray, so the exhaust will have corrosion on it, but will still be OK, and any steel brackets underneath will be rusted, but are normally sufficiently robust for this. Don't forget these cars are designed to take European road salt, and they spread a lot of it around where we live here ! Also US Northern states will do this too, so Florida is a pretty benign place for a car, and elderly owners are not going to test the car's performance much, it will be just toddling around town and down to the golf club I would think ! So the bits that wear in the suspension should still be OK.

jeffn (02-08-2012)
Old 02-08-2012, 07:48 PM

And towards buyer ignorance, Super V8s do not have the Brembos of the XJRs?

Old 02-08-2012, 11:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
Answer is No, as the parkbrake is applied and released by the car automatically. Selection of Park applies it, and moving off Park releases it.
The parkbrake actually isn't applied until you remove the ignition key, if you haven't already applied it manually.

It would make more sense to automatically apply it when the gear lever is shifted to park though!

Old 02-09-2012, 04:06 AM
Veteran Member

A Super V8, being supercharged, will have the Brembos, although I think later years there may be a different supplier; another post on the forum mentioned Teves. The brake discs are a greater diameter than standard, so minimum size wheel is 19"

Old 02-09-2012, 07:28 AM
Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I think it's better than purple.... luckily for me the previous owner resprayed mine in pearl white....

Old 02-09-2012, 08:58 AM
Default What model is this?

Is it an XJ, VDP or an XJR? There are significant differences. Do you have a picture to post or have you seen photos? There is an actual full size alloy spare tire in the trunk of the VDP. Excessive corrosion would appear odd. The 04' VDP in this post resided in Chicago and Milwaukee and it gets wet and Canada cold here. I didn't see excessive corrosion in this post.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-x350-x358-xj6-xj8-xjr-28/2004-xj-vdp-oil-change-67711/

Similar to the above post the XJ or VDP doesn't have separate parking brake pads. The electric parking brake actually engages the rear calipers when parked.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...service-61323/

I am not a wealthy guy, but the time you're spending ($305 so far)on this you should have flew or drove up there to see and drive it. Good Luck. I can tell you the one I posted above maybe worth the money. However if it is an XJR for the price of an XJ I would be cautious.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a green one?