XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

WOW what a day!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2021, 06:19 PM
Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by OnebadassXJR
SO BIZARRE!! Just came back from doing some laps after re checking EVERYTHING I did up front, re tightened everything etc. I did some HARD ABS Stops then proceeded to drive and WOBBLE was GONE, hit a couple of bumps BAM right back again! W IN THE F!! lol Also had a loud squeal from the left front wheel then when turning slightly right it disappeared?? Thats indicative of a wheel bearing, causing the rotor to be on a different angle because of the wear then when you turn it corrects it. I am just going to order hubs f it. This is so ridiculous.
Good find. The interesting thing at some point I also changed one front hub as mechanic told me that one bearing spins with some swoosh noise but without play. I ordered pair but they convinced me there was no need to replace them in pair as its not tires or brake disks. I agreed. I think there was no change in wobbling on high speeds after that (doesn't bother me at city at all only on highways thus hard to say if that affected anything) Do you think its time to put new hub on other side too?) I can also cut brake disks additionally while sat on hub too to restore even rotation in case bent hub caused bending of brake disk.

Old 07-13-2021, 11:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 853 Posts

just put new banana arms on it, 50 bucks each. triple check wheels for bends

Originally Posted by Panelhead
Ball bearings and not roller so they fail at low mileage. Detroit Axle and eBay have them for 80.00/pr.
mine made it to 209k and needed a press to come off.

all you have to do is the take the brake off and spin. if it feels bad or makes noise it’s done. mine was really bad and it could be felt in the steering wheel and when braking

Last edited by xalty; 07-13-2021 at 11:47 PM.
Old 07-14-2021, 09:54 AM
Received 52 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Panelhead
Ball bearings and not roller so they fail at low mileage. Detroit Axle and eBay have them for 80.00/pr.
Bought a set but mine seem/feel fine

Old 07-14-2021, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Sochi2014
Good find. The interesting thing at some point I also changed one front hub as mechanic told me that one bearing spins with some swoosh noise but without play. I ordered pair but they convinced me there was no need to replace them in pair as its not tires or brake disks. I agreed. I think there was no change in wobbling on high speeds after that (doesn't bother me at city at all only on highways thus hard to say if that affected anything) Do you think its time to put new hub on other side too?) I can also cut brake disks additionally while sat on hub too to restore even rotation in case bent hub caused bending of brake disk.

I cut the original rotors with stock rims and pirellis rebalanced and it did zero.

Old 07-14-2021, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by xalty
just put new banana arms on it, 50 bucks each. triple check wheels for bends

mine made it to 209k and needed a press to come off.

all you have to do is the take the brake off and spin. if it feels bad or makes noise it’s done. mine was really bad and it could be felt in the steering wheel and when braking
Mine spin like a swiss clock, no noise but for $100 might as well try.

Old 07-14-2021, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

If you had a bad wheel bearing your ABS would likely be out. Likely not the Hub if no ABS light. But silly question. Do you have wheel eccentric rings with your wheels?

The following users liked this post:
John in Tennessee (05-14-2022)
Old 07-14-2021, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member

Mine spin like a swiss clock, no noise but for $100 might as well try.
Oh and removing the hubs....BIG PIA. Check the forums. Someone had a good writeup for removal using bolts and nuts to pop them out

Old 07-14-2021, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XxSlowpokexX
If you had a bad wheel bearing your ABS would likely be out.
not true. my hub was absolutely destroyed and the wheel speed sensor operated as normal

Last edited by xalty; 07-14-2021 at 10:52 AM.
Old 07-14-2021, 01:53 PM
Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts

So my guess after reading not all but a lot of it and having had such an experience years ago with a golf 3 tdi...!
wheel bearing getting really whobbely to the point where I feared to continue the last couple of 100 meters till the end of the motorway

Old 07-15-2021, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by XxSlowpokexX
If you had a bad wheel bearing your ABS would likely be out. Likely not the Hub if no ABS light. But silly question. Do you have wheel eccentric rings with your wheels?

Yes I have hubcentric rings from Verde. Came with the wheels. BUT again this was the same exact thing with stock rims and Pirellis.

Old 07-15-2021, 10:19 AM
Received 117 Likes on 98 Posts

At the start you indicated the wheels did not spin freely when up in the air. That is why the failed flex line comment. Are they spinning freely now?

Old 07-15-2021, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by xalty
not true. my hub was absolutely destroyed and the wheel speed sensor operated as normal
I don’t even know how that’s possible if the bearing is whipped. But hey, I guess anything is possible.

Old 07-15-2021, 05:06 PM
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

May not help the OP if your brakes are still dragging and pulsating (and mine is an X308) but I was chasing a drivers side thunk/rattle at low speed on rough surfaces, and wheel vibration at 50-60 mph. Replaced drop links, anti-roll bar and suspension bushes, upper and lower damper mounts. Roadforce wheel balance. Bottom ball was shot, replaced and this did improve wheel balance slightly.
The fix:
Removed the top damper mount and isolated the damper rod from the body and took it for a drive. Silence, no rattle but did not check wheel balance as just on a minor back road. Installed a replacement CAT’s damper and now no noise or wheel vibration. (Thanks Jagalicious).
With the old damper pinched in a vice at the eye I could jerk the rod in and ot about 1/2” which made a thud. Guess the valving was shot.

Last edited by XJR-100; 07-15-2021 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-16-2021, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by XJR-100
May not help the OP if your brakes are still dragging and pulsating (and mine is an X308) but I was chasing a drivers side thunk/rattle at low speed on rough surfaces, and wheel vibration at 50-60 mph. Replaced drop links, anti-roll bar and suspension bushes, upper and lower damper mounts. Roadforce wheel balance. Bottom ball was shot, replaced and this did improve wheel balance slightly.
The fix:
Removed the top damper mount and isolated the damper rod from the body and took it for a drive. Silence, no rattle but did not check wheel balance as just on a minor back road. Installed a replacement CAT’s damper and now no noise or wheel vibration. (Thanks Jagalicious).
With the old damper pinched in a vice at the eye I could jerk the rod in and ot about 1/2” which made a thud. Guess the valving was shot.
I have new bags all 4 corners (10k miles)

Old 07-16-2021, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by OldKarz
At the start you indicated the wheels did not spin freely when up in the air. That is why the failed flex line comment. Are they spinning freely now?
I called Brembo and R1 Concepts (whom I got the brakes from) they both said the pads have to be seated and there will be "some" drag that will get better as you drive. Well it is SLIGHTLY better but imho still draggy lol.

Old 07-16-2021, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member

I called Brembo and R1 Concepts (whom I got the brakes from) they both said the pads have to be seated and there will be "some" drag that will get better as you drive. Well it is SLIGHTLY better but imho still draggy lol.

no issues with mine on either of my xjr

Old 07-16-2021, 09:14 PM
Received 117 Likes on 98 Posts

If the calipers were fully retracted and then pumped to the rotor with the pedal there should be no drag. The seal acts as a self adjusting return spring to keep the pads just clear of the rotor. Otherwise they would continuously drag, wear and reduce fuel economy. New pads will seat and feel better as the surfaces mate during braking - not during driving. Old drum brakes would often be put on with a small drag to wear off the non conforming surfaces but even with them it was optional since they were self adjusting.

Old 07-18-2021, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by OldKarz
If the calipers were fully retracted and then pumped to the rotor with the pedal there should be no drag. The seal acts as a self adjusting return spring to keep the pads just clear of the rotor. Otherwise they would continuously drag, wear and reduce fuel economy. New pads will seat and feel better as the surfaces mate during braking - not during driving. Old drum brakes would often be put on with a small drag to wear off the non conforming surfaces but even with them it was optional since they were self adjusting.

I still have drag mostly from right front. It squeals upon slow stops too. I guess its caliper time too. Who has a working set on here cheap?

Old 07-18-2021, 02:56 PM
Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

Hey Badass -
I feel your pain

BUT

My 05 Super V8 needed everything related to what you are doing now once the time came -

ALL suspension parts front and back, rotors, brake pads, calipers....

Once that was all sorted it ran and runs perfectly.

The real expense in this were the calipers. Hard to find working ones used. I ended up buying new, about 750 EACH, and got ripped off on a set from "a running car" on ebay. They were in nice condition but need to be refry.

Yeah, mine car ran too, but with the right front caliper stuck.

You sound much more experienced than that.

Mike

The following users liked this post:
OnebadassXJR (07-20-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 02:59 PM
Veteran Member

str xjr brembos are dirt cheap on ebay

just measure the piston diameter and buy a rebuild kit. they’re as generic as it gets

Quick Reply: WOW what a day!!