XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

X350 Boot (Trunk) latch problem RESOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 07:37 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default X350 Boot (Trunk) latch problem RESOLVED

I have a problem, the boot (trunk) latch seems faulty. (2003 4.2)

I head the alarm sounder going off, turns out the boot (I'm English) !, had opened itself !

It will close, on the motor, I still get a "boot open" error message. I can lock the car (on the key) but for no reason the boot will sometimes then open itself, and the alarm goes off. Only started doing it yesterday, but means the car is unusable at the moment as I can't lock it, and am probably driving around with the boot open.

Any ideas ??

Thank you

Old 02-06-2013, 11:02 AM
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I had same problem on my UK xj also a 2003 4.2 pain in the *** car. It was due to a micro switch breaking in the latch common fault cant say for sure that is yours but 99% of the time that is the only thing to break there. They are going for around 75 pounds on ebay at the moment used with warranty. very easy to fit can send you instructions if you feel like a little DIY

The following 2 users liked this post by James Lewis:
BlackKat (01-02-2014), drfertig (01-02-2014)
Old 02-06-2013, 05:10 PM

Thank you,

Yes up for a bit of DIY !

I got as far as removing the 2 grommets on the latch, but not sure if the black plastic surround comes off on it's own, or the whole boot trim.

BTW Eurojag (who I have used a lot, and have great service) will do one for £25 ... in case you ever need X350 bits

Old 02-07-2013, 02:55 AM

Hope this helps its very easy just be careful with the grommets as they bend easy. Also good time to take carpet to have a quick shampoo. I hope a new latch fixes your problem this is straight from the repair manual if your vin is after this please say and i will post different instructions but they didned change much in the later cars

Luggage Compartment Lid Latch Actuator - VIN Range: G00442->H18679 (76.19.25)
Removal
1 . Release the warning triangle retaining clip.
2 . Remove the warning triangle.
3 . Remove the warning triangle retaining bracket.
4 . Remove the luggage compartment lid grab handles.

5 . Remove the luggage compartment lid latch trim cover.
6 . Detach the luggage compartment lid courtesy lamp.
7 Remove the luggage compartment lid courtesy lamp.

Disconnect the luggage compartment lid courtesy lamp electrical connector.

8 . Remove the luggage compartment lid liner.

9 . Detach the luggage compartment lid latch actuator electrical connector.
10 . Disconnect the luggage compartment lid latch actuator electrical connector.
11 . Remove the luggage compartment lid latch actuator retaining bolts.
12 . Detach the luggage compartment lid latch actuator.

13 . Remove the luggage compartment lid latch actuator.
1) Detach the luggage compartment lid latch actuator release cable.
2) Remove the luggage compartment lid latch actuator release cable. 3) Remove the luggage compartment lid latch actuator.
Installation
1 . To install, reverse the removal procedure. Tighten to 15 Nm.

The following users liked this post:
drfertig (01-02-2014)
Old 02-10-2013, 06:17 AM

thank you for all of the info, I was going to do it today (rain stopped play) so I'll report back when it's done.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:35 AM

In same boat as you need to fit new wheel bearing but weather last few days poor in Cheltenham. Fitted new check dorm arm and added some more sound proofing to the drivers door in the drizzle yesterday not fun but hated annoying pop in door. Good luck try not to over tighten anything as you go along just incase with the aluminium mountings.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:19 PM
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

yes that is most likely the issue , and I see this with the bonnett also...If the micro switch is bad it wont allow you to lock the car and also will show bonnet open and the alarm at times will go off...Great job guys, until later happy wrenching...

Old 02-13-2013, 08:23 AM

Ok, it's a bit warmer outside today, so job done.

It took no time at all, and managed not to break any of the grommets.

The part was £25 from Eurojag. A good UK supplier of used parts, they'll ship worldwide.

Seems to have solved the problem, thank you for your help.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:50 AM

Well done my job to change front wheel bearing once floor dries a bit

Old 02-18-2013, 03:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trunk Latch Motor

I seem to have the same problem, but before I replace the latch motor, I would like to troubleshoot it to make sure that IT is the problem, and not something in the computer.

I have removed and tested for contunity the wiring harness. Found that it is good.

I have removed all trunk liners to have access to latch.

All latch releases ( key fob, dash and trunk) will not let trunk release, Only key in lock will open the trunk. Motor will not latch down when closed and it must be slammed to close fully.

When trunk open,the dash will indicate "boot open" and notice will disappear when trunk is shut.

How to I test only the motor to see if it is operational? Sometimes, after trying to energize motor through the switches, I seem to find the motor SLIGHTLY warm to the touch.
Can I energize the motor by grounding the motor case, and applying 12v to either side of the motor? What about applying 12v to the wiring harness pins? And of course, which pin should I energize?
Is this the way to test if the motor will operate which will tell me to look for a signal problem? I don't want to make a mistake and blow out the computer module by applying 12v to the wrong connection

How do I use a voltmeter is identifying when the motor gets power from the computer ( when using a "trunk open" switch) Im not sure if I am a)getting a signal to the computer b) geting signal to the motor c) motor operating once it received the signal.
I think that I need to test all three options before I purchase new trunk latch motor.

Any assistance and step by step procedures will be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 02-18-2013, 04:17 PM

Right well all sensors are in the latch when you slam the boot nothing on the catch has cabling. One thing to try quickly with the boot open full push the latch shut without shutting the boot then push the open button. When I disconnect my battery with boot open the latch doesn't reset so needs to be forced to reset. If this is not the case could be do do with valet although unlikely will have a look at the wiring diagram in morning if I can find it on there. It is odd is there a chance euro jag took a motor off a car with same problem as it is a common fault.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:03 PM
Default Luggage Lid Latch not releasing automatically

Wow this is a great forum! My 2005 XJ VDP luggage lid latch releases fine mechanically by turning the key in the lock on the lid, but when using the electrical actuator buttons (on key, lid or dash) to open the locking lever it only moves partway, and thus doesn't release from the bottom striker.

I see the detailed instructions below, but they seem inapplicable, maybe I'm not reading the VIN right, mine ends in SG5554.

I don't see a warning triangle (emergency release?) bracket, but I could reomve thre triangle easliy enough, but I don't see how to remove the luggage comp. handle (only one), it seems I'd first have to remove the upper lid lining, which I only want to do once I think I have my info right and will get to the latch so I can try to determine the problem before I spend $180 on a replacement latch.

I'm hoping it's small issue with the latch I might fix . . . am I breathing too much second-hand smoke?

Thanks!

"Luggage Compartment Lid Latch Actuator - VIN Range: G00442->H18679 (76.19.25)
Removal
1 . Release the warning triangle retaining clip.
2 . Remove the warning triangle.
3 . Remove the warning triangle retaining bracket.
4 . Remove the luggage compartment lid grab handles.

5 . Remove the luggage compartment lid latch trim cover.
6 . Detach the luggage compartment lid courtesy lamp.
7 Remove the luggage compartment lid courtesy lamp.

Disconnect the luggage compartment lid courtesy lamp electrical connector.

8 . Remove the luggage compartment lid liner.

9 . Detach the luggage compartment lid latch actuator electrical connector.
10 . Disconnect the luggage compartment lid latch actuator electrical connector.
11 . Remove the luggage compartment lid latch actuator retaining bolts.
12 . Detach the luggage compartment lid latch actuator.

13 . Remove the luggage compartment lid latch actuator.
1) Detach the luggage compartment lid latch actuator release cable.
2) Remove the luggage compartment lid latch actuator release cable. 3) Remove the luggage compartment lid latch actuator.
Installation
1 . To install, reverse the removal procedure. Tighten to 15 Nm.
                   [/QUOTE]

Old 01-03-2014, 11:26 AM
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

I don't know if I have the same problem as Hotrodder's.

Just this morning, my latch decided to stop pulling the boot down with the boot only closing when I forcefully push the it down. And neither can I open the boot with any of the buttons (folb, driver and boot liner buttons). It only opens with a key physically inserted in the keyhole.

What kind of problem do I have?

Old 01-03-2014, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 764 Likes on 639 Posts

To test motor-disconnect from vehicle and place 12v between blue and red-this should

drive motor and open and close switch between orange/yellow and orange/green.

Therefore check continuity between these two wires.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:49 PM

James
Can you tell me where the micro switch is located? I have the same problem with my 2003 XJ8. I have a new switch but am wondering if it may be a wiring issue.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member

James' post was Feb. 2013.

The microswitches are located within the motor housing.

What are your symptoms?

Old 10-22-2014, 09:14 AM

Thanks. Cold use instructions so as to save some time digging around to find the switch location and how to replace it. If you can tell me where it is and how you replaced it that would be splendid.

Old 10-22-2014, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member

Wiring problems to trunk latch are rare, latch problems are common.

Since motor and switches are all in one housing it is relatively easy to replace latch/motor unit.

Latch unit is located on boot lid-I have not done it myself but you probably need to start by

removing boot liner.

I am sure others will chime in.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:51 AM

The key fob does not open the boot nor the dash push switch on the drivers left hand in my case, US car and the center button does nothing at all. The only way to open the boot is to use the key. It had worked intermittently in spring and then stopped working all together this past July.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:20 PM
Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Iggysun
The key fob does not open the boot nor the dash push switch on the drivers left hand in my case, US car and the center button does nothing at all. The only way to open the boot is to use the key. It had worked intermittently in spring and then stopped working all together this past July.
If you determine that you need to replace the trunk lock actuator, this may be helpful.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...r-lock-128385/

I had to recently replace this on my 04 VDP.

I hope this helps.

Thanks-
mag

Quick Reply: X350 Boot (Trunk) latch problem RESOLVED