XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

X350 car phone and radio dead

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 01:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default X350 car phone and radio dead

I was out in the car last week all was fine, radio playing etc and got a call on the car phone via my Iphone.

Took the call and the radio went off as normal, call ended and the radio came on again. Parked the car and came back one hour later the radio wouldn't come on at at least the sound wouldn't. When I pushed the phone button on the steering wheel 'mute' came up on the display. I pushed the phone button on the dash and it came up saying no phone fitted to this vehicle.

I checked the phone in the centre console and it is dead. My thoughts are that this is what is causing the radio to not produce sound.
So now I have no phone and worse no radio.

Anyone got any thoughts on how to sort this out?

Dave

Old 12-03-2014, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Hi Dave,

Have you tried re-pairing the iPhone? You may have to un-pair it first using the manual. Regarding the radio, you may try turning it off using the knob on the lower left center console and then turning it back on using the center console screen. You may also see if your sound system plays cds.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:03 PM

The phone is stone dead nothing on the screen at all so pairing it isn't an option. It looks like the phone has muted the radio and CD player so nothing works or it may work but the sound is muted.

Pushing the phone button on the dash gives a display which says " there is no phone fitted to this vehicle"

I think it's fairly obvious that the phone is at fault so I need to see where it's powered from and start from there, anyone know?

Dave

Old 12-04-2014, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Mute Button ON - Fixya

Hi Dave,

You might want to try some of the solutions in the link.

Hope it helps,

Mike

Old 12-04-2014, 06:17 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Radio dead - amp may be dead

Dave,

I have the same issue - intermittently. In my case, the amp gets overheated (the condition appears more frequently in the summer) and the amp shuts down. Sometimes I can make the amp come back on by shutting down the engine and restarting.

Old 12-12-2014, 03:04 AM
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Try electrical reset. Disconnect the battery for one minute. All modules should return to default settings. That's where you have to program your seats and windows and do a drive learn for the power train module.
Note, it should not effect your radio stations setting. Let me know if that helps.
Bluetooth unit is Motorola is under the center console glove box liner.
Pull out the liner you will see little box Velcro to console. They do cause problems.
Let me know if this helps.

Old 12-13-2014, 11:03 AM

George,

I'll give that a go, I was going to give my car a service at work last week and thought about a hard reset but decided against it in case the car went into terminal meltdown and wouldn't start again

I'm now doing the service between Christmas and New Year, new front rotors, pads, all the filters,oil and the biggy the transmission oil pan/filter change.

Dave

Old 12-23-2014, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by georgekale
Try electrical reset. Disconnect the battery for one minute. All modules should return to default settings. That's where you have to program your seats and windows and do a drive learn for the power train module.
Note, it should not effect your radio stations setting. Let me know if that helps.
Bluetooth unit is Motorola is under the center console glove box liner.
Pull out the liner you will see little box Velcro to console. They do cause problems.
Let me know if this helps.
Well, tried the hard reset and it didn't work unless you count an intermittent fault on the passenger window and losing the one touch open close on the drivers window as success:-)
The phone is still dead and the radio muted.
I checked all the fuses and they are all good so really don't know where to go next.

Dave