XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

X350 front seat differences?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2020, 11:27 AM
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts
Default X350 front seat differences?

I recently purchased a 2005 XJR and find the 'sport' seat to be uncomfortable. I'm 6-3 and 280 lbs and so the bottom seat side supports seam to 'dig' into me making them uncomfortable for longer trips. I think over time they will weaken but i'm not sure about waiting on this.

Question is: do the non-sport seats sit lower or flatter on the bottom? Also, not all seats have the bottom power extension to make the seat longer for more leg support. See below for examples i found online...I really like this adjustment for long legs.

XJR Sport seat with forward/rear adjustment and high side bolsters

2008 XJ-L

2004 XJ8

Last edited by aceler8; 11-11-2020 at 01:04 PM.
Old 11-12-2020, 06:06 AM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

If I remember correctly, the XJR seats were slightly firmer and had larger side bolsters than the standard and VDP seats. Your three pictures of an XJR, VDP and standard seat appear to confirm that. The XJR & VDP seats had the extra seat controls. So, it sounds like you need to look for VDP seats.

Old 11-12-2020, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by rhankey
If I remember correctly, the XJR seats were slightly firmer and had larger side bolsters than the standard and VDP seats. Your three pictures of an XJR, VDP and standard seat appear to confirm that. The XJR & VDP seats had the extra seat controls. So, it sounds like you need to look for VDP seats.
That's exactly what i'm thinking...i'm hoping someone with a VDP car will chime in and give me some idea of the comfort. Maybe someone has both models and have felt the differences.

Old 11-12-2020, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 798 Likes on 670 Posts

Not sure, but the trim piping on the seats could be part of the issue your having
They do gripe my ***, in the 07 VDP .
Looks nice, but not as comfortable as the base seat in the 04.
No XJR to compare with.

Old 11-12-2020, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Wingrider
Not sure, but the trim piping on the seats could be part of the issue your having
They do gripe my ***, in the 07 VDP .
Looks nice, but not as comfortable as the base seat in the 04.
No XJR to compare with.
thanks for the input...i may get a used 'bottom' seat from a standard XJ8 and install it. Only worry is the seat bottoms may be different lengths. Hate to go through the trouble of switching and then loosing the power extension.

Old 11-13-2020, 06:47 AM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by aceler8
That's exactly what i'm thinking...i'm hoping someone with a VDP car will chime in and give me some idea of the comfort. Maybe someone has both models and have felt the differences.
I didn't indicate in my prior response, but I've owned a 2004 XJ VDP since new, and its seats have proven to be very comfortable for short and long haul trips. It's been a number of years since I tried out the base XJ and XJR's from that era, but I seem to recall the XJR and base XJ seats being somewhat firmer feeling - not something that would suit me personally for long haul trips. Weight, size, and personal preference is going to vary between people, so only you can decide is most comfortable/most suited to you.

Old 11-13-2020, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by rhankey
I didn't indicate in my prior response, but I've owned a 2004 XJ VDP since new, and its seats have proven to be very comfortable for short and long haul trips. It's been a number of years since I tried out the base XJ and XJR's from that era, but I seem to recall the XJR and base XJ seats being somewhat firmer feeling - not something that would suit me personally for long haul trips. Weight, size, and personal preference is going to vary between people, so only you can decide is most comfortable/most suited to you.
thanks....seems reasonable the VDP seats would be the most comfortable. I'll aim for a charcoal seat bottom for the driver side. If that works, i may replace the passenger side as well.

Old 11-29-2021, 06:13 PM
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Seat differences

Originally Posted by aceler8
thanks....seems reasonable the VDP seats would be the most comfortable. I'll aim for a charcoal seat bottom for the driver side. If that works, i may replace the passenger side as well.
I have an 04 XJR and just got an 09 Super V8 Portfolio. I'm assuming that other than trim, the VDP and Portfolio seats are the same. That said, the side bolsters on the bottom and back are shorter/wider than the XJR. Replacing the XJR seat cushion with a VDP seat cushion will help, but the problem is the seat frame. The XJR frame has taller sides to support the taller side bolster. The Portfolio seat is flatter and the back rest less restrictive. I will probably at some point, buy a VDP seat for the XJR and hope it plugs in and works correctly.
And you are correct. The VDP seats are more comfortable, perfect for me -- being "full" sized.

Old 11-29-2021, 11:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Pics

The good side of the XJR is showing. The cushion on the right is more worn.

I tried to just remove the leather over. Unsuccessfully. Leather was worn but not this ragged.

Bracket with long slot is from XJR cushion

The bracket with just a hole may indicate cushion was from a base XJ and not a VDP.

Old 11-29-2021, 11:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Lost text

Replaced the driver cushion in my XJR due to leather wear. Cushion purchased off eBay was supposed to be from a VDP.
It is not more comfortable, about the same. But I am thin hipped. The bolsters on XJR seat never bothered me.
The bracket on the cushions had to be swapped to install. The base would not allow mounting using the brackets on new seat cushion. I spent a couple hours trying before figuring this out.
Every time I got in the XJR seeing the cracks and wear in the seat bothered me. Now I smile when getting in.

Old 11-30-2021, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts

I swapped out by 2005 XJR seats, all of them, with those from a 2005 VDP.

The front seats seemed to me to be quite a bit "softer" than my original.

Having said that when I went on long trips, over 400 miles, I placed a thin pillow on my seat.

I still do that with my 2013 Range Rover Sport.

My hips are within the bolsters but I drive as long as possible without stopping such that when I do stop I have trouble straightening out my legs!