XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

X350 Gearbox Fault

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2022, 06:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans issues

I had "unsolvable shifting issues" with my 97 Vanden Plas, turned out to clogged exhaust system due to cat failure and the innards of the cats blocking the exhaust system just enough to distort the signal to ecm. Unclogged, no prob, 3 misdiagnosis and an unnecessary trans swap later.

Old 05-29-2022, 11:43 AM
Received 13,425 Likes on 6,623 Posts

Hi Notahealy,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums! It's great to have you with us

Your 1997 X300 has a ZF 4HP24 4-speed transmission. Those gearboxes have proven to be extremely reliable.

The subject of this thread in the X350 forum is the later ZF 6HP26 6-speed transmission, which is very different from your gearbox and which has its own set of known issues.

Cheers,

Don

Old 03-24-2023, 04:03 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JaguarLover101
Hello All,

I have a 2004 X350 Super V8 LWB, The problem is, when the car starts, for the first couple of miles the car will be incredible jerky and consantly jerk, eventually the dashboard will light up "Gearbox Fault" and the car went into limp mode and all would be fine from then, the gearbox was smooth.

I bought a Mongoose with the SDD software from eBay and loaded it onto my pc, I ran the software and looked at the fault codes on the car, the ones relating to the gearbox were:-
P0783 - Gear load 3-4
P0735 - Gear 5 Incorrect Ratio
P0736 - Reverse Incorrect Ratio

I was advised to "reflash" the box, so using the Mongoose I ran the "Transmission module adaptaions clear" and cleared all the fault codes, after this I took the car out for a test drive but it began jerking and went into safe mode less than a mile into the journey, did I do something wrong? Is there a different way to reflash the box?

Also, I have already had the gearbox fluid refilled.
Hi!
I already dobe a reply two years ago about this jerky problem! I own a X350 2004 4.2L and add this problem few times in past (450000 Kms with original transmission)
I tried to swap the electronic module and or the valve body from two other trans I have in addition! I tried also to remap etc. without success up to.....
I changed all ignitions coils! (I noted that this jerk problem was always after change of coils with low priced coils)
So, try to change the coils for good one and you will see the difference! No Jerk!
This is mine experience... and my trans with 450000 kms work perfectly!
My friend was this this problem on an AIDI A5 and dealer was wanting 3800 euros for a new trans, but doing this itys Audi is working well!
Regards
Claude

Old 05-25-2023, 09:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Change the TPS and let me know if that solves that problem.

Originally Posted by JaguarLover101
Hello All,

I have a 2004 X350 Super V8 LWB, The problem is, when the car starts, for the first couple of miles the car will be incredible jerky and consantly jerk, eventually the dashboard will light up "Gearbox Fault" and the car went into limp mode and all would be fine from then, the gearbox was smooth.

I bought a Mongoose with the SDD software from eBay and loaded it onto my pc, I ran the software and looked at the fault codes on the car, the ones relating to the gearbox were:-
P0783 - Gear load 3-4
P0735 - Gear 5 Incorrect Ratio
P0736 - Reverse Incorrect Ratio

I was advised to "reflash" the box, so using the Mongoose I ran the "Transmission module adaptaions clear" and cleared all the fault codes, after this I took the car out for a test drive but it began jerking and we the TPSnt into safe mode less than a mile into the journey, did I do something wrong? Is there a different way to reflash the box?

Also, I have already had the gearbox fluid refilled.
check

Old 05-26-2023, 08:56 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi! As indicated in this forum in the past I had several similar cases...... look at your coil.... if they are bad the engine module think you push the power more than it is is so, the engine module indicate to the trans module to do like your foot is down to the maximum and as it is not the case, the trans jerk! Hed this each time I used low cost coil.... you can try... clearing the adaptation etc. never made change for that for me.

Old 05-26-2023, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,488 Likes on 1,950 Posts

He does not have any coil errors?
If it's miss-firing there will be codes.
You mention codes but were there any besides the ones you posted?

Old 05-27-2023, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,560 Likes on 3,965 Posts

I think the thread was dead until revived with no new fault(s).

Probably best for it to go dormant again...

Old 06-07-2023, 09:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
He does not have any coil errors?
If it's miss-firing there will be codes.
You mention codes but were there any besides the ones you posted?
The problem is that coils don't usually throw codes. I have seen MANY people swap out a transmission over the years with the coils being the problem (or a bad MAF that is not throwing a code)

For all the folks messing with this ZF nightmare (I have lived the dream)

1. Check the battery first
2. Check the coils
3. Check the MAF
4. Fluid Swap with the right pressure and temp (IMPORTANT)
5. Clear adaptions/flash the TCM - I just do not find this to be that big of a deal like others, but ya know
6. Valve body/mechatronic, E clutch and solenoids

If you start from the bottom you will spend ALOT of money at a shop and end up pissed most likely.

Last edited by djsizzle; 06-07-2023 at 10:11 AM.
Old 06-12-2023, 10:28 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Don B
Hi JaguarLover101,

According to the DTC Summaries, the possible causes of all three of your transmission codes are:

ECM Torque signal fault, or
Transmission mechanical failure

You can download the full-length DTC Summaries manual here:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...03388427,d.cWw

If there were other DTCs stored it might be helpful to know what they were, since they might give us a clue as to whether the problem is electrical or mechanical.

You can download the 2004 XJ Electrical Guide here:

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Elec...al%20Guide.pdf

If I read the guide correctly, the ECM (Engine Control Module) Torque Signal is transmitted to the TCM (Transmission Control Module) via the CAN (Controller Area Network), so if any of the other codes you had were CAN related, that might be a clue.

A few things that might be worth checking:

1. The transmission fluid level. It must be checked per the instructions in the Workshop Manual (car level, transmission at the correct temperature, etc.).

2. The electrical connector on the transmission. The sleeve around the connector is known to leak and allow transmission fluid into the connector, which could interfere with the electrical signals to the TCM. If the sleeve was not replaced when your fluid was changed, it would be suspect.

3. The electrical connector at the ECM, which is under the cabin microfilter housing in the right rear engine compartment. Disconnecting the connector requires a 5-point security Torx bit (with a hole in the center). The drain under the filter housing is known to become clogged with leaves and seeds, causing rainwater to pool around the ECM connector.

4. I can't recall for certain on the X350, but I think the ECM references the MAFS and/or CKPS signals in calculating engine torque, so it might be worth cleaning the electrical connectors for those sensors with zero-residue contact cleaner spray. While you're there, you might as well clean the interior of the MAFS/IATS with the same spray or special MAFS cleaner spray.

In the meantime, it seems prudent that you should assume the transmission has mechanical damage and should not be driven until it is repaired. Otherwise, you risk causing far more serious damage.

Please let us know what the other codes were if you can.

Don
One other item to check before you go down the road of assuming this is the transmission is to remove and check the plug going into the transmission. If there is oil in the plug or on the plug clean it off with a electrical cleaner like you would for the mass air flow sensor. Next, understand that the SCP bus has a twisted pair wire running from that plug to a splice between the ECM and the ABS module. The splice is likely to be fine so don't focus too much on that... but the ABS plug as well as the ECM is a known source of water egress. Also there is a engine wire harness block in the same area as the ECM that should also be looked at. The bottom line is look at the wiring first and confirm that it is not just corrosion that is throwing codes. I am working through a similar issue and have, through the very patient help of this forum, I have become very familiar with the wiring issues with the ECM, ABS & TCM. Take your time use a good meter don't just assume the worst, good diagnostics could save you real $$$'s that don't need to be spent. Codes should not be taken at face value as any number of concomitant events can trigger a code.