XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

X350 interior capping

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2023, 03:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wood trim

Browsing the internet i see that Madera concepts seem to do a lot of Jag wood trim new and renovated. however, when i use their email it bounces back! I've treid several ways. Can anyone shed light on this or sugest an alternative? For the record i am looking for the walnut wood surrund to the central high level interior light assembly. Our Jag is a 2004 XJ x300 sedan. hope one of you greta guys cqan help
Enjoy big cat motoring! Peter

Old 10-23-2023, 09:58 AM
Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Leather and Wood

I read somewhere long ago that the wood that Jaguar will not use is sold to BMW and Mercedes. Too long ago to remember the source. Also, from this article in Hagerty, there is no real leather anymore. https://www.hagerty.com/media/design...ge-gracefully/
When I asked the author what I should use on the modern leather, the reply from Mr. Vaughan was to apply a mixture of water and 409 cleaner. Spray on, wipe off. He said there was no real use for leather conditioners and cleaners except the pleasant smell. Also, never let sunblock come in contact with painted surfaces or leather. It will cause delamination. Very interesting article.

Last edited by luv2fly; 10-23-2023 at 09:59 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 10-23-2023, 12:59 PM
Received 171 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2fly
I read somewhere long ago that the wood that Jaguar will not use is sold to BMW and Mercedes. Too long ago to remember the source. Also, from this article in Hagerty, there is no real leather anymore. https://www.hagerty.com/media/design...ge-gracefully/
When I asked the author what I should use on the modern leather, the reply from Mr. Vaughan was to apply a mixture of water and 409 cleaner. Spray on, wipe off. He said there was no real use for leather conditioners and cleaners except the pleasant smell. Also, never let sunblock come in contact with painted surfaces or leather. It will cause delamination. Very interesting article.
Funny you mention the first part as I also recall many years ago a program on TV to do with Rolls Royce where the chap was saying, although tongue in cheek, that t he leather that RR rejected went to Jaguar !! I guess probably an in house joke on all counts maybe ?

Old 10-24-2023, 03:00 AM
Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

I can understand that the timberwork on the dash and door capings etc. but I have a problem getting my head around as to how they do the steering wheel. I have had my magnifying glass looking for the join without success.

Old 10-24-2023, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2fly

And what experience does Mr Vaughan have of Jaguars? If you do not know the subject, you have to rely on the experience of the person providing the information. So: I have owned and restored many Jaguars, including two X350 models, Jaguars ranging from 1965 to the current models. A few facts: in a Jaguar, if it looks like wood it IS wood - these days, wood veneer on a strong substrate. And yes, the steering wheels that look to be partially wood are indeed wood trimmed. In a Jaguar, seating surfaces, at least, are real leather (unlike the Mercedes "Artico Leather" which is VINYL) - this is the wheel in a 2007 XK:

and this is the wood trimmed wheel and door trim in a 2005 X-Type - the wood is Sapele; the seat surfaces are leather (not vinyl) , the shift knob is also wood, not plastic. The wood in each Jaguar is different and is chosen as a complete matching set:

In every Jaguar except the very rare case trimmed in cloth (such as specifically ordered XJ cars of the Series I-III period), the seating surfaces are LEATHER. On some models and some trim options, the ENTIRE seat including the side panels and rear of the seat is LEATHER. The smooth and soft Windsor leather in my 2015 F-Type with the "extended leather" option: the steering wheel, the entire seat, the grab rail, the dash cover, the head liner, the door trim are ALL leather (the photo does not show the true colour):

Modern leathers are surface-coloured. Some claim that this makes the surface impermeable and this is why you will find advice suggesting the use of only a damp cloth or even to use a chemical cleaner. DO NOT do this! If you want your leather to last more than a decade, use a good, non-silicone leather conditioner (Autoglym Leather Balm, Leatherique, Lexol are good and there are others). These are formulated to be absorbed into the surface to maintain the integrity and suppleness of that finish - and they ARE absorbed. Heat and sun are the enemies of wood and leather. Look at these two photos: the first shows the premium Connolly Autolux leather in 1992 V12 Vanden Plas; note the surface of the leather: it is soft, smooth and supple; the contrasting-colour seat piping is also straight and smooth because the leather has not shrunk with heat and dryness. This leather has been properly maintained and it remains as new:

Now, in contrast, leather in the same model, but not properly maintained: note the dry surface cracking and the shrinkage of the leather which has pulled the piping into a wibbly mess - look at the passenger seat especially:

There is lots more to say, but you get the idea. You can listen to people who have experience or you can believe the uninformed (I have not had my morning coffee yet so my diplomatic skills have not yet been awakened)

Last edited by sov211; 10-24-2023 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-24-2023, 11:47 PM

Does anyone know how Jaguar make the wood on the steering wheel. The wheel has to have a steel rim/frame as the basis for the wheel, so how do they get the wood on? I still think it is not wood but photo film on plastic.

Old 10-25-2023, 05:00 AM
Received 214 Likes on 175 Posts

I don't know the precise method about how to do it, but it is wood, alright. In my experience, plastic would look different when aging and being continuously handled.

Wooden steering wheels have had a steel rim/frame since a long time, just look at classic Alfa Romeos, for example. Definitely wood, and with a steel core.

Best regards,

Thomas

Old 10-25-2023, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Hornby
Does anyone know how Jaguar make the wood on the steering wheel. The wheel has to have a steel rim/frame as the basis for the wheel, so how do they get the wood on? I still think it is not wood but photo film on plastic.
The fact that we may not know HOW they produce the wood trim on the steering wheel does NOT mean that they don't do it! Think what you like but as a last resort I offer the following: first the declaration from the 2005 Canadian XJ brochure:

and now from the 2006 Canadian X-Type brochure:

and finally, photos which very clearly show the seam in the wood applied to the wheel (this is on a 2005 X-Type Sportwagon). The seam runs the whole circumference of the wheel wood. "Photo film on plastic" does not require a seam!

If you remain unconvinced I have to ask why? Is it just that you don't think Jaguar would go to this trouble? There are many things about Jaguars which go beyond expectations, small details that form part of Jaguar's undefinable attraction. Here is another one: on the current models, my F-Type, for example, the start/stop button illumination begins to pulse as soon as the door is opened and the key recognised...but how many owners know that the pulse rythm of the button is that of the heartbeat of a resting jaguar (animal)?:

Last edited by sov211; 10-25-2023 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-25-2023, 02:55 PM
Received 273 Likes on 211 Posts

I share Bob's puzzlement.
Best I could find, maybe this way:

Old 10-25-2023, 03:22 PM
Received 272 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Hornby
I reckon you should cut yours in half to verify that claim.

Old 10-25-2023, 03:23 PM
Received 272 Likes on 208 Posts

P.S. here is a video on making a custom wooden steering wheel. Whether it's similar to Jag's process or not I doubt we'll ever know

Old 10-25-2023, 04:17 PM

The previous video was veneer not solid.
Perhaps our Jaguars were just born with their steering wheels...

Old 10-25-2023, 08:16 PM

Thank you gentlemen, I am now convinced that the wheel is real treewood and not plastic. There is a dark line around the rim where the join must be on the outer rim of the wheel, I guess this must be applied to hide the joint.

Old 11-14-2023, 12:56 PM
Received 131 Likes on 89 Posts

The wood is real, the thing I can't understand is why the chose two different kinds of wood, one for the dash and doors and other (lighter color) for the shift knob and wheel. And the burl of wheel wood looks like it was sprayed over, not real burl. I bought a custom knob that matched the dash wood.

Old 11-14-2023, 02:59 PM
Received 214 Likes on 175 Posts

What I have mostly seen is that the only mismatch in the wood is the gear knob, which is definitely another type of wood, but that the wood on the steering wheel is quite a good match. Why the gear knob is not burl, I have never understood...

Best regards,

Thomas

Old 11-14-2023, 05:28 PM

I'd be astounded if the genuine Jaguar wood knob is not burl walnut.
Anyway, I bought an aftermarket burl walnut from British Autowood on ebay and the match is excellent.
(as are Bob's based on photos although not walnut)
Gear stick knob - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Old 11-15-2023, 10:18 AM
Received 131 Likes on 89 Posts
The following users liked this post:
Jaroslav Záruba (11-17-2023)
Old 11-15-2023, 10:43 AM
Old 11-15-2023, 11:06 AM

There could be knobs that better match MBJAG, though it's a bit hit and miss and they are all burl walnut.
burl walnut gear knob jaguar images - Search Images (bing.com)

Old 11-17-2023, 06:17 PM
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

The state of your J-Gate buttons fills me with envy.