XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

x350 Speaker System - Crutchfield doesn't know

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 10:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default x350 Speaker System - Crutchfield doesn't know

So I have read everywhere that Crutchfield is the place to go for speakers... however it says "Sorry but we haven't researched this part of your vehicle" when I plug in my 07 XJR...

I know I have the 12 speaker Alpine kit, and am guessing another model of Jag's for 07 had it as well X-Type maybe?

Can anyone confirm another model that would have the same kit, and preferably has been researched by Crutchfield so I can browse their selections...

I've seen some posts on here for kit, but most involved replacing the AMPs and head-units, and that's not what I want to do... just the speakers... so i was hoping to use crutchfield's part browser to identify easy replacements.

Old 03-08-2015, 07:30 PM
Received 163 Likes on 129 Posts

Be aware that with many amplified factory systems that some run at different resistance than the standard 4 ohm. I've dealt with some that ran at 8 ohm and a 4 ohm speaker could damage the amplifier. I don't know the ohm rating on the Jag system though.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:30 AM
Received 4,466 Likes on 2,427 Posts

The speakers are 6.5" but you will struggle to find one that slips straight into the existing hole.

When I did the stereo install on my X-Type I bought some speaker adaptors which were basically a perfect fit with aftermarket 6.5" speakers. PVC Speaker Adapters - CNC Machined - In Stock or Custom Made

As mentioned above the impedence of the speakers is a bit of a mystery. And in hindsight i'm sure they aren't regular 4ohm or 8ohm units.

The problem is more in regards to the tweeters, the stock tweeters have a capacitor on them which functions as a filter (like a crossover) and i suspect that the stock tweeters are a much higher impedence to somehow attenuate the level compared to the midbass drivers.

Using Focus 6.5" splits I had the problem of the tweeters being way too loud and the system was not properly balanced.

I would stick with stock speakers, or at most go aftermarket midbass but leave the stock tweeters. Unless you can find 4ohm midbass & 8ohm tweeters.

That's just a guess to the impedence btw...but i think it must be something like that, based on the experience I had with the X-Type install...

Have a look here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ade-faq-64614/

Old 03-11-2015, 06:13 AM
doc
Received 202 Likes on 169 Posts

I bought 4 of these CDT Audio CL-6EX in 2 ohm to replace the mid-bass on my XJ8 my car doesn't have the amplifier but has tweeters in the dash and door handles

I bought the speaker adapters Cambo recommended

I haven't installed them yet to busy with work and the wife's Jeep is of the road at the moment so she is using my XJ8 ( I could kill Jeep for taking so long with the parts )

Old 09-03-2015, 09:40 AM
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo

I would stick with stock speakers, or at most go aftermarket midbass but leave the stock tweeters. Unless you can find 4ohm midbass & 8ohm tweeters.
I need new tweeters. On some solo piano pieces, I can hear distinct distortion coming out of some of them. I'm also an audiophile, and I know how critical it is to match the system and the crossovers (some of which I think is embedded in the digital head unit), so I think I'm going to take your advice and stick with stock. Stock actually sounds very nice.

So, the next question is, where's the best place to source the stock parts? I've found Jaguar Merriam parts to be the best place to buy parts online. But is there a less expensive place to source straight Alpine units?

MSRP on the stock tweeters (premium sound) is $83. (!!) And I need 4 of them.

Old 09-03-2015, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 203 Posts
Default The stock are very cheaply made

Originally Posted by hunter34
I need new tweeters. On some solo piano pieces, I can hear distinct distortion coming out of some of them. I'm also an audiophile, and I know how critical it is to match the system and the crossovers (some of which I think is embedded in the digital head unit), so I think I'm going to take your advice and stick with stock. Stock actually sounds very nice.

So, the next question is, where's the best place to source the stock parts? I've found Jaguar Merriam parts to be the best place to buy parts online. But is there a less expensive place to source straight Alpine units?

MSRP on the stock tweeters (premium sound) is $83. (!!) And I need 4 of them.
My XJR had the Alpine system.
Most were damaged. I had a local stereo shop go over it. They replaced the door speakers with component 6 1/2 set from AD Degign. The tweeter has to be modified to fit in the door handle. They fit the mid driver easily.
The subs are tougher. They are 61/2". The stock one weights next to nothing. The used some Kicker 6 1/2 subs. These are not very good either.
I guess a ride in a well maintained x350 is needed on my end. The Alpine system was damaged, not sure how good it sounded when working properly.