XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

x350 speedometer fault

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 11:27 PM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default x350 speedometer fault

hey guys, a newbie here. Thank you all for all the great infos on the forum.

I have a quick question about changing instrument cluster. I have 2005 xj8 and my speedometer needle is not working properly. Needle suddenly drops to zero after couple minutes of driving and is usally stuck there until I reignite the car...and does that again.

I went to a dealership and it looks like speed sensors are working fine as mechanic drove with computer linked to the car, computer kept showing the right speed while needle dropped to zero again.

He says I need to change the whole cluster.. $1,200(that's in USD and I am in Korea) brand new..I can buy used ones off the Ebay for less then $100.. I am wondering if I can simply change the cluster to used one and all the data and records will just show up again as old ones or do I need to go to dealer and they have to use their computer to reinstall everything? Well, dealer says the latter. He says I can't use the used one as each cluster is specially configured for specific vehicle?

If possible I would buy the used one and take it to local shop who has Jaguar program to install..

what do you guys think?

btw, below is my car. Love it, except this speedometer and air suspension..

Attached Thumbnails x350 speedometer fault-xj.jpg  
Old 05-19-2014, 09:09 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

I can't answer your question about dropping in a used cluster. Sorry. But before you try something like that, have you tried a hard reset on all your computer's? (Remove negative terminal and touch to positive side to discharge all stored energy) it could be a simple module glich.

Sent from my Epic 4G using IB AutoGroup

Old 05-19-2014, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 761 Likes on 637 Posts

This is speculation on my part but here goes:

It sounds like a mechanical fault to me.The speedometer consists of a stepper

motor which consists of plastic cogs and the problem is with these cogs

or the motor drive itself.

If it was mine I would buy the used cluster and have a look at the speedo drive

on it.

If you don't feel confident about changing the speedo drive on your cluster you

could take it to an electronics repair man who is used to that sort of work.

Chances are, after it's done the electronics won't know any different.

Total costs-not a lot compared to the *******! ST@@@ER!

Loads of info here:https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...a-74438/page3/

Last edited by meirion1; 05-19-2014 at 09:39 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:10 PM

thanks guys for kind reply. I will ask my local shop if they can try to reset the whole thing by touching the battery. If that doesn't cure, I guess I got nothing to lose, I will just order cheap used cluster and try it first.. if works, good. if not, then I will just have to buy a new one. Gotta try anything I can before I go to that last option.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,538 Likes on 3,947 Posts

Suddenly dropping to zero does not sound like a bad stepper. Maybe a dry (solder) joint (they stop electricity flowing properly). I'd go with a repairman - even a firm like bba-reman maybe.

Quite a few of our cars have the speedo as part of anti-theft so need some reprogramming to drop another in plus the mileage may read wrong.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:05 PM

yeh, I think what I am going to do is get that $100 used cluster from ebay and replace it. Been talking to this intrument cluster seller on Ebay and he says all the datas are programmed on cluster, not ECU. They will reset the milege on it to match my current and I can just replace...fingers crossed.. think this will be cheaper than changing to a new one or going to a mechanic who will take forever to fix.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:23 AM
doc
Received 202 Likes on 169 Posts

I am just about to change my cluster bought a second hand cluster with a kmh speedometer mine was MPH
Spoke to my indie he said easy job just have to switch it over using the IDS software then it will read my odometer reading and so forth I am going to put new globes in it while its out though

Old 06-13-2014, 08:29 PM

It's been fixed!! I bought a used cluster for $55 and swapped this little white motor in the back and now it works perfect. Let me know if any of you have a faulty needle on cluster. Will tell you small tips. Thanks guys

The following 4 users liked this post by Jaguri:
lcmjaguar (06-13-2014), paddyh (06-13-2014), Pete M (07-16-2024), rsa760041 (07-22-2024)
Old 09-27-2019, 11:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaguri
It's been fixed!! I bought a used cluster for $55 and swapped this little white motor in the back and now it works perfect. Let me know if any of you have a faulty needle on cluster. Will tell you small tips. Thanks guys
Useful to know, mine this morning told me I’m doing 110Mph in rush hour!
i wasn’t
now stationary I’m apparently doing 50mph, ignition off. 50.
i think the small white plastic motor has failed in mine too.

TK

Old 09-27-2019, 02:19 PM
Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

Mine often reads 0mph when my sat nav says I'm doing alot more. I have not got around to getting the cluster out to find out the part number for the stepper motors which I can easily replace once I've got the cluster out.

I was going to do the work and then post a repair guide once done. The jag has thrown me more important things to fix first though.

Old 03-31-2020, 03:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

hey guys, a newbie here. Thank you all for all the great infos on the forum.

I have a quick question about changing instrument cluster. I have 2005 xj8 and my speedometer needle is not working properly. Needle suddenly drops to zero after couple minutes of driving and is usally stuck there until I reignite the car...and does that again.

I went to a dealership and it looks like speed sensors are working fine as mechanic drove with computer linked to the car, computer kept showing the right speed while needle dropped to zero again.

He says I need to change the whole cluster.. $1,200(that's in USD and I am in Korea) brand new..I can buy used ones off the Ebay for less then $100.. I am wondering if I can simply change the cluster to used one and all the data and records will just show up again as old ones or do I need to go to dealer and they have to use their computer to reinstall everything? Well, dealer says the latter. He says I can't use the used one as each cluster is specially configured for specific vehicle?

If possible I would buy the used one and take it to local shop who has Jaguar program to install..

what do you guys think?

btw, below is my car. Love it, except this speedometer and air suspension..
Hi. I had the same problem with my 2003 xj6 X350. The speed sensor is attached to the rear wheel hub as I believe. I removed both sensors and cleaned them up, replaced them and sprayed some WD40 into the electric connectors on both. Went for a drive and it was fine. Speedo worked where as before the speedo dropped to zero after less than half a mile but worked again after restarting then dropped to zero again repeating..... its worth a try. Only takes about 30 mins to do both. Also worth mentioning the steering seemed to go heavy and suspension hard at same time as speedo dropped off?
​​​

Old 04-03-2020, 05:53 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Rear wheel sensor

Originally Posted by Steve9999
Hi. I had the same problem with my 2003 xj6 X350. The speed sensor is attached to the rear wheel hub as I believe. I removed both sensors and cleaned them up, replaced them and sprayed some WD40 into the electric connectors on both. Went for a drive and it was fine. Speedo worked where as before the speedo dropped to zero after less than half a mile but worked again after restarting then dropped to zero again repeating..... its worth a try. Only takes about 30 mins to do both. Also worth mentioning the steering seemed to go heavy and suspension hard at same time as speedo dropped off?
​​​
what made me look at the rear wheel sensors was that I had a problem with one before code p1175 I think and at one point when I turned the engine off the speedo needle shot right round the dial to 150mph then settled back to zero. So when the needle started dropping off I thought the wheel sensor would be a good place to start as the two must be linked in some way.

Old 06-17-2024, 09:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have the same condition

I would appreciate a break down of the removal of the cluster. it looks like a mammoth task. My speedo works OK intermittently and then sometimes on start up it remains at zero until I restart. When faulty the milometer also does not count but the cruise control still functions. As yet I have done no checks on the sensors. It would be just my luck for it to fail when having its Ministry of Transport yearly test. I am in the UK.

Old 06-17-2024, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member

Unlikely to be the sensors IMO but check first
I havent done it myself but I do not think it will be a mamouth task
I belive all the electrical connections are plug and sockets in the back of the module
Those white stepper motors can be bought for $4.00 in OZ
I have used them when repairing the CD changer
Use Google images to view back of module

Old 07-16-2024, 03:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same as Toby

Originally Posted by Toby Kirkman
Useful to know, mine this morning told me I’m doing 110Mph in rush hour!
i wasn’t
now stationary I’m apparently doing 50mph, ignition off. 50.
i think the small white plastic motor has failed in mine too.

TK
Toby i have the same issue. Did you find the fault ? If so what was it.
Thanks

Old 07-16-2024, 08:41 AM
doc
Received 202 Likes on 169 Posts

You can use a used cluster it's just got to be keyed to your car using the Jaguar software not hard to do

Old 07-16-2024, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Doc
I have an idea that you I have fitted maxpeedingrod struts
to an Xj8 in the past.
If that is right were they noisy?
Thanks
Bob