XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

X350 XJR Faulty EGR codes

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2022, 08:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X350 XJR Faulty EGR codes

Hello guys, new member here and glad to be here. I'm currently dealing with a faulty EGR valve issue with my 06 XJR, and needing some assistance on how to remove it and clean it up/replace it if needed. Would sincerely appreciate any information on how to remove the EGR Valve. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-20-2022, 09:45 AM
Received 165 Likes on 90 Posts

Check out the valley hose 4.2 thread that appears on the same page as your question (similar times of the post) and read where I talk about the EGR bolts. Step 1 in replacing the valley hoses in a supercharged X350 is to remove the EGR.

Also look at the workshop manuals that are linked I think in a sticky. There may be information there.

From memory, there are 2 bolts, 2 nuts and 2 hose connections. The hardest part is the two bolts attaching the EGR to the intake elbow (see the other thread I mentioned). The two nuts attach the EGR pipe to the passenger (US passenger) side exhaust manifold, and with a 1/4" drive swivel head you should be able to reach those without too much difficulty. You'll need various extensions for the bolts connecting the EGR to the intake elbow.

As for the hose clamps. a cheap harbor freight or ebay hose clamp kit can be very useful with the clamps, though if memory serves Jaguar might use the one-time-only crimp clamps and so you'll need to procure replacements but it's been away since I looked and I'm not 100%.

Also order the EGR gaskets now and verify they match the old ones once the EGR comes off. I received the wrong ones on the first order so check them. When reattaching the coolant hoses, a tiny amount of liquid dish detergent applied to the metal lines makes the rubber hoses go on *much* easier.

I cannot recall if you have to remove the intake for access, but if you do it's only like 5-10 minutes of work.

Old 06-21-2022, 01:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks mate, I appreciate it. I was wondering, if you have any pics taken during your DIY, and if you have any bit more info on accessing and removing the EGR Valve. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-21-2022, 01:29 PM

Not really, though you can see the EGR tube (the tube that runs from the right cylinder head exhaust manifold to the EGR itself) resting free of both the exhaust manifold and the EGR (already removed) in this picture at the top here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...one-go-243658/.

It dawns on me, I think for access you also need to remove the plastic wall around the cabin filter, that gives you more room to go at the EGR bolts from the side.

Old 07-04-2022, 09:17 PM

You might have finished your EGR replacement, but I just pulled mine chasing down an issue. Took me about two hours, but I knew how to get at all the bolts and such and first time would have taken longer. Steps I followed (there may be alternative approaches to this):

1. drain the radiator of coolant, and store to refill later;
2. remove US passenger-side firewall braces
3. remove cabin filter airbox (4 10mm nuts, 2 outside the box and 2 inside)
4. remove false bulkhead wall around cabin filter and the false plastic wall next to it along the back
5. remove air intake elbow, air cleaner box can be left in place
6. remove electrical connections to the throttle body, there are 2
7. remove EGR electrical connector
8. using 1/2" or 13mm socket on 1/4" flex head ratchet (or similar) remove nuts attaching the EGR pipe to the exhaust manifold
9. remove 2 coolant hoses to throttle body (which is why you drained the radiator)
10. using 8mm socket, remove throttle body bolts, there are 4, and remove the throttle body and set aside
11. using 8mm socket and the 1/4" flex head ratchet (or similar) remove the two bolts holding the EGR to the intake elbow. These can be located by touch by feeling along from EGR pipe to the EGR valve. Both bolts are above where the EGR pipe meets the valve
12. you will need to push some of the wiring cables out of the way, but you can now pull the EGR up enough to get at the coolant lines. Remove the coolant line that isn't the one to the throttle body (you can leave the throttle body line be for now)
13. the EGR and pipe are now free to be lifted out through where the throttle body was located
14. transfer the EGR pipe and coolant hose to the throttle body to the new EGR
15. reinstall in reverse order.

Last edited by scooterforever; 07-04-2022 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-02-2022, 01:43 PM
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Scooterforever,

thanks for your write up on the EGR valve. I am about to do this repair on my 2004 XJR. I believe I have a vacuum leak at the EGR or EGR pipe. What failure did you have on your EGR, code or leak? Any other repairs to do when in the area? 108K miles on mine.

thanks

RyeJag

Old 07-16-2024, 10:27 AM
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Default Which model / engine do these instructions relate to?

Thanks for the great write up Scooterforever :-) I see that you have a Super V8 just like mine, but can you confirm that these instructions cover that model and not some previous model / engine that you've owned please?

I've got the P0400 error and want to get it sorted. I've got the new gaskets and nuts required to be used after I get the EGR out, which hopefully I can clean out, but haven't been near that bit of the engine so far, so any guidance is great :-)

Cheers

CD

Originally Posted by scooterforever
You might have finished your EGR replacement, but I just pulled mine chasing down an issue. Took me about two hours, but I knew how to get at all the bolts and such and first time would have taken longer. Steps I followed (there may be alternative approaches to this):

1. drain the radiator of coolant, and store to refill later;
2. remove US passenger-side firewall braces
3. remove cabin filter airbox (4 10mm nuts, 2 outside the box and 2 inside)
4. remove false bulkhead wall around cabin filter and the false plastic wall next to it along the back
5. remove air intake elbow, air cleaner box can be left in place
6. remove electrical connections to the throttle body, there are 2
7. remove EGR electrical connector
8. using 1/2" or 13mm socket on 1/4" flex head ratchet (or similar) remove nuts attaching the EGR pipe to the exhaust manifold
9. remove 2 coolant hoses to throttle body (which is why you drained the radiator)
10. using 8mm socket, remove throttle body bolts, there are 4, and remove the throttle body and set aside
11. using 8mm socket and the 1/4" flex head ratchet (or similar) remove the two bolts holding the EGR to the intake elbow. These can be located by touch by feeling along from EGR pipe to the EGR valve. Both bolts are above where the EGR pipe meets the valve
12. you will need to push some of the wiring cables out of the way, but you can now pull the EGR up enough to get at the coolant lines. Remove the coolant line that isn't the one to the throttle body (you can leave the throttle body line be for now)
13. the EGR and pipe are now free to be lifted out through where the throttle body was located
14. transfer the EGR pipe and coolant hose to the throttle body to the new EGR
15. reinstall in reverse order.