XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

X358 Air Suspension Fault after Installing New Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2024, 08:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X358 Air Suspension Fault after Installing New Suspension

Hi I have a 2008 XJ8L 4.2L (X358). I got the dreaded vehicle too low sign a few months ago and when diagnosed by Jaguar, they recommended replacing the front 2 suspension because one was leaking. I replaced them with Dorman and the car seemed drive fine for about a month. Now, I am getting the Air Suspension fault message after driving it for a few minutes. Initially the car was too high but now, it seems to have leveled but the error still pops up after driving it for a bit. Height has been calibrated twice already by Jaguar and they say compressor seems to be working fine. Any suggestions as to why this could be happening? Is the suspension module fried because I installed Dorman instead of the recommended Bilstein?

Old 04-11-2024, 12:48 AM
Received 193 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by rbisht
Hi I have a 2008 XJ8L 4.2L (X358). I got the dreaded vehicle too low sign a few months ago and when diagnosed by Jaguar, they recommended replacing the front 2 suspension because one was leaking. I replaced them with Dorman and the car seemed drive fine for about a month. Now, I am getting the Air Suspension fault message after driving it for a few minutes. Initially the car was too high but now, it seems to have leveled but the error still pops up after driving it for a bit. Height has been calibrated twice already by Jaguar and they say compressor seems to be working fine. Any suggestions as to why this could be happening? Is the suspension module fried because I installed Dorman instead of the recommended Bilstein?
Was that dealer involved in the selection / recommendation / installation of Dorman?
Or was it they who reccomended Bilstein?

The more complex of Dorman products usually have decent instructions. Can you share those with the community?

Last edited by Thermite; 04-11-2024 at 12:53 AM.
Old 04-11-2024, 01:11 AM

Dealer was not involved in selection of Dorman. The instructions that came with Dorman were fairly straightforward, remove old one and replace with new one. The issue didn't pop up immediately either. It showed up after about a month.

Old 04-11-2024, 01:30 AM

Dealer was not involved in selection of Dorman. The instructions that came with Dorman were fairly straightforward, remove old one and replace with new one. The issue didn't pop up immediately either. It showed up after about a month.
That is not enough to cover what needs doing, even for OEM Bilsteins.

To be clear, you are using Dorman SKU ‎949-856, AIR struts?
Appear to be air-strut portion compatible, which controls height, but not damping rate, but lacking the electronic shock modulation feature for the shock absorber portion - which doesn't control height, only damping rate.

Like two co-workers, same office, but different jobs.

AND NOT Dorman SKU 949-560, coilover CONVERSION kit?

A drop after springs take a set is a dirt-common characteristic of steel-coil springs.

Air struts, not. Air is already as age-degraded as it is ever going to get.

Absent leaks, if the "brains" make any adjustments at all, ride height sensors should be the controlling player.

One presues the dealer checked those as aprt of calibration, but were they approaching a fail point?

Is this a "repeatable" situation? Or not so much?

Last edited by Thermite; 04-11-2024 at 01:40 AM.
Old 04-11-2024, 01:43 AM

Hi Bill,

Yes I used the ‎949-856 Dorman Air Struts. This is a repeatable every time I drive it around for about 2 to 5 mins, "Air Suspension Fault" shows up. Rarely, it takes longer than 5 mins for the error to show up, maybe when I haven't driven the car for a couple of days.

The ride height sensors seem to work per the mechanic, no sensor errors.

thanks,
RB

Old 04-11-2024, 02:38 AM
Default X358 Air Suspension Fault after installing Dorman air struts

Hi Bill,

Yes I used the ‎949-856 Dorman Air Struts. This is a repeatable every time I drive it around for about 2 to 5 mins, "Air Suspension Fault" shows up. Rarely, it takes longer than 5 mins for the error to show up, maybe when I haven't driven the car for a couple of days.

The ride height sensors seem to work per the mechanic, no sensor errors.

thanks,
RB
OK, thanks. It would be helpful if you - or a Moderator - could change the title to:

X358 Air Suspension Fault after installing Dorman air struts

Because we have not seen a lot of reports about that brand, yet, and it will be easier to search for and group such, going forward.

Meanwhile:

Does your scan tool return a code of "sensor plausibility error" .... as what triggered setting the "Air Suspension Fault"?

... do you ever also get: "Vehicle Too Low" if it has been left sitting for a longer period?

Is it the same on cold days as warm days?

It is dead-level when it drops, or does one corner drop more than the other?

if you switch-OFF the ignition and wait about two minutes, has the "Air Suspension Fault" warning gone away, and does the compressor activate and raise the low end shortly after you restart the engine?

Does it lower itself down about 30 minutes after you shut if off, and walk away?

Have you checked the compressor outlet fitting and each air line and fitting connection atop the struts for leaks?

Same-again the solenoid control valve block and its fittings and tubing?

(ignorant soap bubbles DIY or ready made where kids toys are sold. Fancier ones from Autoparts or plumbing supply outlets)

Sound complicated? Well it should.

They didn't call it a "Malemute" did they?

Jaguar electronics are controlled by a whole damned tribe of inbred alleycats on hard drugs.

Much harder to herd in one direction than sober, cooperative, "'pack mentality" sled dogs following an "Alpha" leader..

Last edited by Thermite; 04-11-2024 at 03:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Jaroslav Záruba (04-11-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 09:06 AM
Received 237 Likes on 183 Posts

AIR SUSPENSION FAULT will always store a code in the Air Suspension Module. We need that code to give any kind of educated troubleshooting. The question about plausibility error should actually be Reservoir plausibility error, not sensor, I think, which is a common cause of the dash message, and means that pressure is not building to the expected level or at the expected rate, and the ASM basically gives up to protect the compressor.

Old 04-11-2024, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by wfooshee
AIR SUSPENSION FAULT will always store a code in the Air Suspension Module. We need that code to give any kind of educated troubleshooting. The question about plausibility error should actually be Reservoir plausibility error, not sensor, I think, which is a common cause of the dash message, and means that pressure is not building to the expected level or at the expected rate, and the ASM basically gives up to protect the compressor.
I may be working on mine - 2005 model Year - in the next few days, will check the "numerical code", but I suspect the same phenomenon at the onboard brain box, with a(ny) 'text' difference just a different revision to the explanatory text in the scan tool's firmware.

Same cause, either way. Compressor was unable to "catch up" with - and/or get at least slightly ahead of - a leak.

One of the common leaks is of a type that NEW struts should not yet have. And might not have.

That's why the vehicle will need to be searched to find out where it is leaking.

For the 2005 XJ8-L, not hard. Just b****y tedious:

- Front strut tops are "in your face" easy to access once the bonnet is opened. Footnote below on those.
- Rear strut tops need some work to expose.
- Pressure reservoir tank and solenoid control block on the 2005 XJ8-L wants the boot's floor hatch opened, spare tire pulled out.
- Compressor lives in the front left fender, under the headlamp, above the fog lamp, wants the wheel and fender well liner removed to check the outlet fitting for leakage.
- Drop the chin panel, too, when removing and reinstalling a (new or rebuilt) compressor and/or to change-out the silica gel dessicant beads & filter pads in the chamber on its body.

Note:

- OLD air struts are known to develop leaks where the assembly is sealed at the top. Already covered in other forum threads.

- NEW air struts "should not" (yet) leak there.

Good news could be discovering a leak there, as it can save a lot of work chasing all the OTHER possible locations.

Bad news is you will then have to be he who tells the rest of us if Dorman covers the replacement under any sort of warranty!

As usual - not hard. Just b****y TEDIOUS.

Old 04-11-2024, 07:21 PM

I contacted the dealership here in Manila, Philippines and the dealership said they CAN NOT check the vehicle since Dorman Shocks were installed by another shop. Basically told me to deal with the other shop. Has this ever happened to anyone? Dealership denying to even run a diagnostic! Seems like Jaguar standard has certainly declined. Is there a way to inform the HQ that I am being denied service?

Old 04-11-2024, 07:42 PM

Hi yes, I am getting the C2302 Levelling plausibility error. The mechanic is suspecting a blocked valve and is considering replacing the valve.

Old 04-11-2024, 07:43 PM
Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts

I have heard JLR dealer refusing to look at XJ8's. Though it is a hearsay: I have no personal experience. I visited JLR dealer once,: to get a radio PIN. If I need help with repairing my 2004 VDP I come here...

Old 04-11-2024, 07:46 PM

I contacted the dealership here in Manila, Philippines and the dealership said they CAN NOT check the vehicle since Dorman Shocks were installed by another shop. Basically told me to deal with the other shop. Has this ever happened to anyone? Dealership denying to even run a diagnostic! Seems like Jaguar standard has certainly declined. Is there a way to inform the HQ that I am being denied service?
Waste of time to whine about such things. Your choice of third-party tells a dealer you were not his customer then, and are not likely to be, in future. Their focus is on selling NEW cars in any case.

You want their attention? Ask them to replace the Dormans with genuine new Jaguar parts.
Might want to be lying down and already on an IV drip when they quote the price?

Just go and find a(nother) independent shop. Metro Manila has NO shortage of those.
Need not be 'fancy". Just wise. Exactly One good person is all you need.

The day comes a competent Filipino Mechanic cannot sort out what he needs to learn to do to fix a Jaguar?

Just drive it to Taiwan or Japan for service.

The Pacific will have already gone dry.

Last edited by Thermite; 04-11-2024 at 07:53 PM.
Big Koshka (04-11-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 08:00 PM
Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts

Hi yes, I am getting the C2302 Levelling plausibility error. The mechanic is suspecting a blocked valve and is considering replacing the valve.
In my case I fixed it with Bagpipingandy kit:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/162539095631
I think with Icarsoft code reader you can monitor reservoir air pressure. and you can moitor with it suspension height at each corner. That should help you to sleuth the problem. From what you describing, different errors on different day... one can't trust computer and every code needs to be verified, before start throwing parts at unidentified problem.

Thermite (04-11-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 08:31 PM

Thank you! I will ask the mechanic to run the test to confirm blocked valve.

Old 04-11-2024, 09:09 PM

Thank you! I will ask the mechanic to run the test to confirm blocked valve.
Uh.. no. Explain what you have hard evidence of - so far - and what possibiliities have been discussed.

Let a pro use his own skillset. He will be charging you for it, after all.

He'll run the test(s) to discover all that can BE discovered.

Jaguars have a license from the Devil that allows them to have more than one thing wrong with them at a time.

Go figure mechanics already know this?

Last edited by Thermite; 04-11-2024 at 09:11 PM.
eliotb (04-12-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 08:12 AM
Received 237 Likes on 183 Posts

C2302 is either bad level sensors, a bad valve in the valve body, or an air leak. A weak compressor would more likely be C2303, reservoir plausibility error, with the reservoir pressure not coming up as expected.

Old 04-12-2024, 08:58 AM

C2302 is either bad level sensors, a bad valve in the valve body, or an air leak. A weak compressor would more likely be C2303, reservoir plausibility error, with the reservoir pressure not coming up as expected.
Seems correct, but at the end of the day, I cannot expect my 2005 still "owes me" a damned thing by this late stage.

More than one fault is virtually assured, and some can "mask" the presence of others until each has been addressed, in its turn.

Old 04-12-2024, 09:23 AM

Thank you! The mechanic also told me the exact same thing today. There is just C2302 error and with no apparent sign of leaks despite leaving the car untouched for 2 days, he wants to replace the valve and see where we end up.

Old 04-12-2024, 09:49 AM

Thank you! The mechanic also told me the exact same thing today. There is just C2302 error and with no apparent sign of leaks despite leaving the car untouched for 2 days, he wants to replace the valve and see where we end up.
If you have the time for he - or you - to wait for an order, they can be had economically:

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/3256805...apt=4itemAdapt

They have competition. Plenty of it. There are probably only a few firms actually MAKING the valves.
Most of the several dozens who list them are but merchants.

Look around, find a higher product price, same goods, may come with a lower SHIPPING cost .. which is always of concern with offshore sources. DAMHIKT!

Last edited by Thermite; 04-12-2024 at 01:07 PM.