XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

x358 Front brakes, door aperture seal & wind noise - Update 22.09.15 RESOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts
Default x358 Front brakes, door aperture seal & wind noise - Update 22.09.15 RESOLVED

Well, had the car in at Prestige today for checking a replacement door seal and also for juddering when braking.

All front n rear suspension components changed, front brakes reasonably new and seemingly in good order, new tyres, wheels balance and alignment done in the last 6 months or so.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...acking-137776/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...e-time-131373/

Dougie checked and confirmed we'd have to start by replacing the front pads and discs as the most likely culprit....warped discs probably.

So, booked in for next wednesday for front pads and discs around £220.00
Not bad really as I can buy the parts for £148 so a decent price for sure in my book

Door aperture seal in charcoal supplied and fitted is £94

So I'm hoping that by next wednesday the juddering should be resolved at least, not convinced that the door aperture seal will resolve the slight wind noise, but we'll jump off that bridge once we get there.

The seal has worn from the previous owner getting in and out anyway, so get it done and be done with it, one less thing to worry about.

I'll update as and when of course.....

Old 03-04-2015, 08:17 PM
Received 13,425 Likes on 6,623 Posts

Jim,

I think Dougie is on the right track. I assume he will clean and inspect the calipers and lubricate them as appropriate in case one of them has been dragging a pad on a rotor and causing it to overheat, but it would asking to be sure he does a good inspection of caliper operation.

We'll look forward to a good report.

Cheers,

Don

Old 03-05-2015, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Don B
Jim,

I think Dougie is on the right track. I assume he will clean and inspect the calipers and lubricate them as appropriate in case one of them has been dragging a pad on a rotor and causing it to overheat, but it would asking to be sure he does a good inspection of caliper operation.

We'll look forward to a good report.

Cheers,

Don

Thanks Don, yes I'm sure Dougie will be switched on to check that, but rest assured I take no chances and will be spelling it out to make sure....lol

On another note, I reckon the slight wind noise ( I do mean slight wind noise, still annoying however ) that I'm experiencing is coming from the door mirror housing. I believe that the seal may be damaged or it may need adjustment, so I've asked him to look at that also.

Hoping for good things next Wednesday...

Old 03-05-2015, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by JimC64
On another note, I reckon the slight wind noise ( I do mean slight wind noise, still annoying however ) that I'm experiencing is coming from the door mirror housing. I believe that the seal may be damaged or it may need adjustment, so I've asked him to look at that also.

Jim,

I have a little wind noise from the driver's door mirror area too, and I wonder if the procedure in the S-Type TSB might work for the X350 and X358. I haven't had a chance to give it a try, but perhaps it might be helpful to your mechanic:

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/TSB/...nd%20Noise.pdf

Cheers,

Don

Old 03-06-2015, 05:39 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Don,
yes that's the one and where the noise is coming from, I'm sure of it

Hopefully resolved Wednesday

Thanks

Old 03-06-2015, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member

I'm having the 4 locking wheel nuts removed when my car is in too.

I thought I had removed them, turns out it was Peter's X type and not mine....

They're a little rusty and the worse for wear, and I'm also worried about the whole "lug nut" issue of them rounding off / breaking etc at some point, so....

They'll be removed and I'll just add 4 std wheel nuts in their place

Old 03-09-2015, 07:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 445 Likes on 282 Posts

Please post back what you find out about your mirror seal. I have a similar wind noise on my XJ that I think is coming from the mirror seals. The plastic part of the mirror housing doesn't quite look to be fitting flush with the rubber gasket anymore, but don't know if it's the rubber that changed or the plastic of the mirror.

That S-type TSB has good info, I will have to try that diagnosis with the tape.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member

In on Wednesday, of course I'll come back and report on findings....

Old 03-09-2015, 03:23 PM
Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

I have the same problem with my 350 sounds like a common fault it will be nice to find a fix I'm going to see where mines coming from and see what I can do to repair it

Old 03-11-2015, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member

Update:

Had the car in at Prestige today and the front brake pads and discs were replaced with Pagid. Test drove the car and although being gentle for the few few miles to allow for bedding in, it certainly seems like the judder is gone.

I'm a bit surprised really as the pads and discs were almost new when I bought the car and also were Pagid, so I guess that either the bedding in procedure wasn't followed or they were faulty?
Anyhow, all good for now.

Door aperture seal - This was replaced and the unsightly worn one removed, looks so much better. No improvement in wind nosie but didn't expect this to resolve that.

I had them remove all 4 locking wheel nuts and replace them with standard ones instead. This was for 2 reasons
1 . They were becoming slightly rusty / unsightly
2. I didn't want to wait until I really had to get them off only to have the same problem that many others have had here in the past

Wind noise - Didn't have too much time to look at this today unfortunately, but a brief inspection seems to show that the door mirror seal isn't seating right and may be causing the issue.

Before spending any money on this, I'll try to get a decent day and tape up the affected area anddo a test drive to see if that resolves and is the cause of the problem before proceeding further.

Old 03-11-2015, 04:20 PM

Thanks for the update, Jim.

Any word from Prestige on why the rotors warped? Dragging caliper, perhaps?

I'll be anxious to learn when you resolve that wind noise - I've got wind noise from our driver's door mirror too.

Cheers,

Don

Old 03-11-2015, 08:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Don B
Thanks for the update, Jim.

Any word from Prestige on why the rotors warped? Dragging caliper, perhaps?

I'll be anxious to learn when you resolve that wind noise - I've got wind noise from our driver's door mirror too.

Cheers,

Don
Hi Don,
nothing from Prestige on why the discs warped, assuming they think driver error from previous driver, in all honest Don it was a pig of a day and it slipped my mind to ask.

I'll shoot Dougie an email to ask his advice on that.

As for the door mirror seal?
I'll get around to that as soon as I can and report back, just have a lot on at the moment

Thanks Don

Old 03-14-2015, 08:59 PM
Veteran Member

Nice day today and the car washed and cleaned, looking better than it has for some time.

Decided to take a trip to Halfords and purchased some silicone spray and white lithium grease.

Generously sprayed all door seals before buffing off to help them to better do the job they were intended to do.
Whilst I was at it, all door hinges as well as the bonnet / boot hinges had white lithium grease applied.

Also got some clear silicone adhesive for the rear seat anchor points. The covers seem a little loose and either pop off or rattle from time to time. As I never use them I intend to silicone them firmly into place to stop this as it's damn annoying.

Old 03-22-2015, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member

Spent a little time today on wind noise and interior creaks, there are a few that I want to iron out.

Wind noise - I used some duct tape and taped up the top corner of the mirror housing ( the seal there looks like a terrible fit )
I tried driving along the motorway at around 70mph without it and the wind noise was present. I travelled the same journey with the tape firmly in place AND the wind noise was still present, so back to the drawing board on that one.

Rear seat belt anchor points / covers - I removed these and then reinstalled with some clear silicone to firmly hold in place. I will never be removing these for use so just want them held in place with NO creaks - RESOLVED

Drivers seat belt receiver - Probably due to my large frame, I notice when rounding bends / roundabouts and the like that it presses firmly against the centre console and squeaks. I haven't cured this as yet but intend to get some black material if possible with a sticky back and apply to the inside edge of this to try and eliminate the problem.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=JimC64;1180901]Update:

Had the car in at Prestige today and the front brake pads and discs were replaced with Pagid. Test drove the car and although being gentle for the few few miles to allow for bedding in, it certainly seems like the judder is gone.

I'm a bit surprised really as the pads and discs were almost new when I bought the car and also were Pagid, so I guess that either the bedding in procedure wasn't followed or they were faulty?
Anyhow, all good for now.

Wind noise - Didn't have too much time to look at this today unfortunately, but a brief inspection seems to show that the door mirror seal isn't seating right and may be causing the issue QUOTE]

Well the car was booked in for Thursday but Prestige have rearranged, so it'll be next Tuesday now.

The brake judder is back and with a vengeance!!

As before, the suspension both front n rear has been replaced, new tyres, new pads n discs fitted around 4 months ago, done maybe 3k miles ( Pagid - which may be warped - need checked )
There's a slight shake from the steering wheel generally ( perhaps wheel bearings, although no noise and generally seem fine? )

If the discs are warped, they'll be replaced under Pagid's warranty.....If this is the case, I may pay to just renew the rears too, but I'll get them double checked first.
Any other suspension work or wheel bearings, should be covered under the warranty I took out, but we'll see......

Need to get this resolved as it's really bugging me now!

As before the wind noise persists

Old 07-10-2015, 08:12 PM
Received 212 Likes on 190 Posts

[QUOTE=JimC64;1262248][QUOTE=JimC64;1180901]Update:

There's a slight shake from the steering wheel generally ( perhaps wheel bearings, although no noise and generally seem fine? )

They don't alway make a noise you can readily notice. What of the wear-pattern on the tires?

Old 07-10-2015, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 203 Posts
Default This is why I go to independent shops

As before, the suspension both front n rear has been replaced, new tyres, new pads n discs fitted around 4 months ago, done maybe 3k miles ( Pagid - which may be warped - need checked )

[B]If the discs are warped, they'll be replaced under Pagid's warranty.....If this is the case, I may pay to just renew the rears too, but I'll get them double checked first[/QUOTE]

Have someone check the tires/wheels. Either out of round or balance.
The mirror gasket will most likely require pulling the interior from the door.
I am a minority, but have slightly warped rotors turned and trued. Go by the lip on the edge. Replace if the lip is a 1/16" (1.5 mm) or so.
A good alignment/frame shop would have fixed your problem the first time.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member

Well, had the car in at Prestige today and find as follows.....

Went for a test drive with Douglas and he suspected warped discs from the start, pretty bad judder.
I also pointed out the "grabbing effect" when reducing speed slowly that could be felt.....he suspected the rears for this issue.
The pads were getting low but the discs were worn ( there was a lip ) and undulations could be felt through the fingertips almost!

Took the wheels off and inspected, measured the discs for run out and they were warped, also checked the hubs for run out but they seemed in tolerance.

So.....after covering 7344 miles the discs were warped, under Pagid's 25/25 warranty ( 25 months or 25k miles ) they were replaced free of charge, no labour either obvoiously.

I gave Dougie the go ahead to change out pads and discs on the rear at my cost, which he did.
All caliper sliding pins etc greased and calipers cleaned, hub mating surfaces wire brushed / cleaned as required and refitted wheels.

Front pads and discs FREE under warranty
Labour to inspect and diagnose FREE
Supply and fit new Pagid pads and discs for rear £200

A car that now brakes smoothly as it should - PRICELESS

Not sure if I'm convinced ( just my sceptical nature I guess ) but time will tell
Thanks

The following users liked this post:
Don B (07-14-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 12:11 PM
Received 212 Likes on 190 Posts

[QUOTE=JimC64;1262248]
Originally Posted by JimC64
Update:
As before the wind noise persists
One down , one (perhaps complex..) to go.

Must admit I had not NOTICED wind noise in two years of driving, whether that was fun factor or the distractions of the likes of Diana Krall, Celtic Woman, or Susanna Seivane.

Then you had to go and bring it up and I paid attention..

Yeah - puzzling. Dasn't seem to be localized to mirror - or localized AT ALL here.

Door seals and fit seem way better on the XJ8-L than 'lesser' cars, but it is not as quiet as several of mine have been.

Mind, I have actually selectively BENT the upper doorframe on several of the 'merican ones to improve the fit. But still.

Do please update us with the source - and hopefully a fix - if/as/when you finally track it down and resolve it..

The following users liked this post:
Don B (07-16-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 12:32 PM

+1 on Bill's taste in music to mask wind noise, except for the bagpiper, a little of which goes a long way (apologies to bagpipingandy)!

Last edited by Don B; 07-16-2015 at 12:35 PM.

Quick Reply: x358 Front brakes, door aperture seal & wind noise - Update 22.09.15 RESOLVED