XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

X358 Has Bottomed Out

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2024, 09:20 PM
Received 119 Likes on 56 Posts
Default X358 Has Bottomed Out

Good day All,

I know this has been posted over and over again but I want to try a different approach with this issue. My 2008 XJ8L sat for 2 weeks while I enjoyed breaking in the new X150 XK (new to me). With the weather hitting colder than usual temps and rain at record levels in Los Angeles, I decided to drive the XJ to work today and something didn’t feel right. I did not receive any errors on my dash but the ride was not soft and cloudy. Sure enough when I parked her I noticed she was sitting quite low - lower than the norm but nothing scraped, nothing felt off on the steering so…..what gives???

Did it sit too long? Is it the weather? Did it get mad at me for bringing in a faster version of her?

I want to troubleshoot her but I’m afraid I’ll go deep into that rabbit hole that ends up costing me time and money. Where do I even begin? I read somewhere that I can release the air from the lines in the trunk or reset the car by disconnecting battery terminals and touching them for 60 secs or so. Anyone ever do this? Can someone explain the air lines release part?

Lastly, I may opt for the conversion at this point since it will eliminate all of this fuss with the air suspension as I think it truly is the Achilles Heel in these magnificent beasts. Has anyone converted their XJ with other than Arnott kits? I see a ton online but I’m curious about results from others more than anything. My last XJ came with the Arnott conversion installed and I loved the way it made me feel like a driver and not a chauffeur. So I know what I’d get with that set.

All input, instructions, and images to point me in the right troubleshooting direction are welcome.

All input and suggestions with experience examples of your conversion are also welcome and greatly appreciated.

Cheers!!

Old 02-07-2024, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 751 Likes on 631 Posts

It is common for the struts to leak a bit at the top seals when temps drop.
The car can come up when it is driven at 25 mph or greater.
I suggest that you keep driving it if you feel that is safe and put
a scanner on it to see if there is something pending.

Old 02-07-2024, 08:58 PM
Received 100 Likes on 88 Posts

What is wrong with the Arnott coil/spring conversion kit? Actually, I had my 2005 Jaguar XJ8L air suspension converted to Arnott coil/springs back in 2014, and the car still rides and handles fine.

The following users liked this post:
indyx358 (02-07-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by meirion1
It is common for the struts to leak a bit at the top seals when temps drop.
The car can come up when it is driven at 25 mph or greater.
I suggest that you keep driving it if you feel that is safe and put
a scanner on it to see if there is something pending.
I tried that approach and nothing. It tried but all I heard was the loud compressor struggling to keep up. By the time I got to work, it was very low so I took it straight to my mechanic and I hated that drive so much. Was afraid of damaging things further but I think the most I drove it was approx a total of 20 miles from Home to Work to Mechanic. Should be ok…..right?

I went through the service records once I got home and I see that the air suspension valve distribution block was replaced at one point. They also replaced one air strut so at least we have something to start with. My mechanic told me to purchase a new compressor and start there since it sounds like it simply doesn’t have its gusto anymore but he is going to scan the Jag in the morning to see if there are malfunctions or leaks in any of the 4 corners.

This may be the cheaper route for now, eventually that conversion will have to be done. Will keep you posted!

Old 02-07-2024, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Rickkk
What is wrong with the Arnott coil/spring conversion kit? Actually, I had my 2005 Jaguar XJ8L air suspension converted to Arnott coil/springs back in 2014, and the car still rides and handles fine.
I loved my Arnott coilover set with my last XJ. It’s inevitable, air suspension will have to go someday.

Rickkk (02-08-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 751 Likes on 631 Posts

If he compressor is very loud and runs for a long time then
you need to refurbish or replace the compressor.
I don't think you will have caused any damage by driving it.

Old 02-09-2024, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by meirion1
If he compressor is very loud and runs for a long time then
you need to refurbish or replace the compressor.
I don't think you will have caused any damage by driving it.
Thanks Meirion. Working on some price negotiations for a couple of choices for the compressor replacement. I was also able to purchase a Jaguar Scanner (iCarsoft i930) for $50 through OfferUp. The his will come in handy going forward - essentially eliminating all of the guess work and avoiding the “rabbit hole” cheers!!

Old 02-09-2024, 07:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at the last picture, you may want to consider replacing your side-light bulbs with LEDs, so that they match the other lights in terms of colour temperature. I just think it looks odd with cool white main lamps and warm white side-lights.

Old 02-09-2024, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by JagFab
Looking at the last picture, you may want to consider replacing your side-light bulbs with LEDs, so that they match the other lights in terms of colour temperature. I just think it looks odd with cool white main lamps and warm white side-lights.
Thanks JagFab. Let me get the car back up and rolling and then we’ll get to that aesthetic tick box. Ambers in the front are staying - but for the sides, Good eye!

Old 02-10-2024, 10:27 PM
Default Got the iCarsoft i930

Anyone care to give a quick tutorial on how to diagnose my air suspension? Want to know how to navigate through the menu and what to look for

Last edited by indyx358; 02-11-2024 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Missing info
Old 02-11-2024, 01:06 PM
Received 76 Likes on 43 Posts

I had the same low-rider problem with my XJ8 a couple of years ago - no issues since. Its a common issue so did a brief write-up for the Club Magazine. Here's an extract:

The compressor is protected from running continually to prevent overheating, so some wear in the compressor or overheating / blown fuse might explain my low rider situation. The fuses to the compressor were good. Next inspections were from underneath, and this is where the alloy body is significant. According to the manuals it is imperative that the car is lifted symmetrically to avoid twisting anything. And so with two jacks the car was lifted 1/2 inch at a time to ensure the body wasn't subject to any twisting. Now I don't like working under cars. I might spend more time thinking about lifting the car and safely supporting than the time it takes to complete the rest of the work, but the manual does show a couple of places to put stands where there is enough strength to support the car safely. And so it was lifted and supported - symmetrically - and only just enough to get the wheels in the air to start a good inspection.

The air compressor is behind the bumper, just in front of the left front wheel. It's easy to see once the wheel and the wheel arch liner are removed. I decided to inspect the compressor on the bench, and while out I could replace the piston seal. Removal is straightforward. Two pipes for air, two electrical connectors, and three nuts to support the spring mounted assembly. The compressor is made by WABCO (Westinghouse Air Brake Company) and seal kits are readily available. Once on the bench I cleaned the compressor to prevent dust from getting inside. I removed the compressor cylinder head and replaced the piston seal and O ring. Re-installing the compressor was a bit more fiddly. The spring suspension system was an exercise in finger dexterity. Its required to support the weight of the compressor while at the same time hold up a bracket, spring, bush and nut - all with one hand. We found it necessary to remove the radiator splash shield for more access. Fortunately, Matt helped and the compressor was back in place fairly quickly. Feeling optimistic we replaced the wheel, lowered the car to the ground and started the engine. High fives all around - the car raised itself to its normal height and looks ready to go once the splash tray and wheel arch liner are re-fitted. Aside from the two-jack complication it was a straightforward procedure requiring only basic tools and maybe two hours total. Phew!! Bagpiping Andy kit was about $50.00.

BTW - Bagpiping Andy kit is highly recommended - it has very good instructions. The piston seal is a wear item, so its worth starting with the compressor anyway,

One more thing: I always disconnect the battery before jacking the XJ8 to prevent the car from detecting something abnormal and instantly depressurizing the air suspension system. Some may agree, some may not, and that's OK..

HTH, Dave

indyx358 (02-11-2024)
Old 02-11-2024, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by DaveAllen
I had the same low-rider problem with my XJ8 a couple of years ago - no issues since. Its a common issue so did a brief write-up for the Club Magazine. Here's an extract:

The compressor is protected from running continually to prevent overheating, so some wear in the compressor or overheating / blown fuse might explain my low rider situation. The fuses to the compressor were good. Next inspections were from underneath, and this is where the alloy body is significant. According to the manuals it is imperative that the car is lifted symmetrically to avoid twisting anything. And so with two jacks the car was lifted 1/2 inch at a time to ensure the body wasn't subject to any twisting. Now I don't like working under cars. I might spend more time thinking about lifting the car and safely supporting than the time it takes to complete the rest of the work, but the manual does show a couple of places to put stands where there is enough strength to support the car safely. And so it was lifted and supported - symmetrically - and only just enough to get the wheels in the air to start a good inspection.

The air compressor is behind the bumper, just in front of the left front wheel. It's easy to see once the wheel and the wheel arch liner are removed. I decided to inspect the compressor on the bench, and while out I could replace the piston seal. Removal is straightforward. Two pipes for air, two electrical connectors, and three nuts to support the spring mounted assembly. The compressor is made by WABCO (Westinghouse Air Brake Company) and seal kits are readily available. Once on the bench I cleaned the compressor to prevent dust from getting inside. I removed the compressor cylinder head and replaced the piston seal and O ring. Re-installing the compressor was a bit more fiddly. The spring suspension system was an exercise in finger dexterity. Its required to support the weight of the compressor while at the same time hold up a bracket, spring, bush and nut - all with one hand. We found it necessary to remove the radiator splash shield for more access. Fortunately, Matt helped and the compressor was back in place fairly quickly. Feeling optimistic we replaced the wheel, lowered the car to the ground and started the engine. High fives all around - the car raised itself to its normal height and looks ready to go once the splash tray and wheel arch liner are re-fitted. Aside from the two-jack complication it was a straightforward procedure requiring only basic tools and maybe two hours total. Phew!! Bagpiping Andy kit was about $50.00.

BTW - Bagpiping Andy kit is highly recommended - it has very good instructions. The piston seal is a wear item, so its worth starting with the compressor anyway,

One more thing: I always disconnect the battery before jacking the XJ8 to prevent the car from detecting something abnormal and instantly depressurizing the air suspension system. Some may agree, some may not, and that's OK..

HTH, Dave

This is very helpful Dave. Much appreciated! I went ahead and purchased a new aftermarket compressor for now since it wasn’t too expensive and I will renew the WABCO compressor as well. And you’re right - it is a wear item so it’s best to start with that when air suspension acts up. Mine is currently loud and sounds like a mini machine gun when it rounds - doubt that’s a Jaguar “roar feature” 😂

Old 02-12-2024, 01:19 PM
Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

I used the Black Dog kit by Motorcars, LTD. That was in 2013, nearly 70,000 miles ago. $1650 at the time. I have had no issues with it and you'd have to be a Jag owner to recognize the difference in feel. I know there are several other companies out there now, so I'd have to do some research. If I had it to do over again, not so sure I wouldn't use Motorcars again.
Good luck.

Old 02-14-2024, 07:00 PM
Default Finally Fixed!

Received the compressor and had it installed, the yellow fault light went away and the car is riding at correct height and feels somewhat smoother than before. Kept the old WABCO compressor​​​​​, I think I’ll repair it hold on to it. Appreciate all of the support and intel with this little Jag Tantrum.

Cheers!
Indy

DaveAllen (02-15-2024)