XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

X358 Help needed - Exhaust fumes leak @ engine/catalyst flexible tube rupture...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 01:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default X358 Help needed - Exhaust fumes leak @ engine/catalyst flexible tube rupture...

Hi,

I'm guessing this is something that is not new for the 2.7D engine...
In short I've noticed considerable exhaust fumes leaking in the engine compartment while waiting on an intersection and went straight to the shop.
Turned out to be engine/catalyst flexible tube rupture. I made some photos of the leakage point.

As I understood from the shop, Jag considers this a "change the whole cat. filter" kind of repair. Seems to me like an overkill. There has to be a replacement or some other fix right?

Few other info that might be related>
Car has 106000 km on it. Regular inspections/services and all that.
I'm not an aggressive driver. Quite the contrary.
Recently had some issues with the DPF (starting at 98000 km) described in another topic.

Old 11-26-2015, 05:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hi there, yes, a very common issue on these engines I'm afraid, I was initially told the same thing when it happened to mine.

Unsure where on "earth" you are located, but here in UK there is a flexi pipe mod to resolve this issue
It works out at around £300 per side as opposed to the mega bucks that the dealer wants to replace the whole cat

This started as an aftermarket modification that soon became really popular, in fact so popular that Jaguar themselves now offer them as OEM parts here in the UK.
Anything else, please just ask

See Ebay link below, cost £196 then fitting charges on top
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-JA...-/161891772512
This is for the s TYPE, same engine of course and should do the job, just check to be sure

Thanks
Jim

Old 11-26-2015, 06:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 224 Posts

Sebastian

The Tdvi wasn't marketed in the North American market, which is where the majority of members of this forum lurk.

Diesel problems are much better covered in the UK forum XJ Series - X350 Aluminium body

Some of us lurk on both forums, of course

Dave, in beautiful downtown Gloucestershire.

Old 11-28-2015, 12:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JimC64
Hi there, yes, a very common issue on these engines I'm afraid, I was initially told the same thing when it happened to mine.

Unsure where on "earth" you are located, but here in UK there is a flexi pipe mod to resolve this issue
It works out at around £300 per side as opposed to the mega bucks that the dealer wants to replace the whole cat

This started as an aftermarket modification that soon became really popular, in fact so popular that Jaguar themselves now offer them as OEM parts here in the UK.
Anything else, please just ask

See Ebay link below, cost £196 then fitting charges on top
GENUINE JAGUAR EXHAUST DOWNPIPE (CATALYTIC CONVERTOR) FLEXI PIPE REPAIR SLEEVE | eBay
This is for the s TYPE, same engine of course and should do the job, just check to be sure

Thanks
Jim

Yes, that should be the one. In fact, the jaguar dealer offers the same one when fixing the mentioned issue on the XF but somehow fails to mention it when fixing the XJ
Never the less will post updates as we fix the issue.

The part numbers for bout left and right spare are as follows>
c2c41813 LH
c2c41814 RH
Price wise, the dealer offers it at about the same as on EBAY.

it appears there is a slight variation left/right side so one should be careful when ordering.
I read somewhere it is suggested to switch them as a pair since the "good" one will probably follow and start leaking soon after.
there are some other parts that usually come as a repair kit with the above mentioned P/N.

Will post all the info when I get it... to be continued...

@JimC64 - I'm form EU. Mostly switching between Italy, Croatia and Austria region-wise as work requires.

@Partick the Cat - thank you! I'm checking there but there are so many topics its mind blowing. Need to register to use search engine?

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (11-28-2015)
Old 11-28-2015, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by SebastianV
Yes, that should be the one. In fact, the jaguar dealer offers the same one when fixing the mentioned issue on the XF but somehow fails to mention it when fixing the XJ
Never the less will post updates as we fix the issue.

The part numbers for bout left and right spare are as follows>
c2c41813 LH
c2c41814 RH
Price wise, the dealer offers it at about the same as on EBAY.

it appears there is a slight variation left/right side so one should be careful when ordering.
I read somewhere it is suggested to switch them as a pair since the "good" one will probably follow and start leaking soon after.
there are some other parts that usually come as a repair kit with the above mentioned P/N.

Will post all the info when I get it... to be continued...

@JimC64 - I'm form EU. Mostly switching between Italy, Croatia and Austria region-wise as work requires.

@Partick the Cat - thank you! I'm checking there but there are so many topics its mind blowing. Need to register to use search engine?

Hi Sebastian - yes there is a difference between left and right and also yes, it is good practice to replace them as pair ( once one fails the other will surely follow soon after ) and so it's over and done with in one visit, but obviously its up to you.

Note - it may be helpful to change your location from Earth to your main place of residence so that others can give better advice

Hope it helps Sebastian, good luck and hope to hear
Best
Jim