XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Xj 4.2 remap

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 02:43 AM
Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts
Smile Xj 4.2 remap

New member , wanting to know if any members with NON super charged 4.2 has had any remap or tunning success . Most remaps seem to suit s/c or diesel only engines .
Any info would be helpful .
Very interesting forum ,
Thanks .

Old 04-16-2015, 03:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

Probably none available. Change car. (Seriously.)

The following users liked this post:
mastersid (04-16-2015)
Old 04-16-2015, 03:24 AM
Received 4,458 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Welcome to the forum mastersid, when you get a moment stop by our new members area ==>> New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Hopefully Doc from QLD will see this thread, he has a 4.2L XJ8 that has been tuned after fitting 100 cell cats.

Here's one of his threads https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ap-xj8-125030/

mastersid (04-16-2015)
Old 04-16-2015, 03:51 PM
Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
Probably none available. Change car. (Seriously.)

Well that was not very constructive.

Of course it can be (has been) done.

I will be running into this problem soon as well but with the XJR.

At least one company in my state will do it (750-1000$).

Jaguar | ECU Tuning Group

It can always be done my friend, it is just a matter of funds and will power.

I am sure many a folk told Avos to get a different car when he wanted to add 200hp.

When I do it I will post my results.. I always do.

Edit:

Doc comments here;

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ations-137803/

When I spoke to ECU Tuning Group the tech told me, that when I switch to my 200 cspi Cats I may not have any MIL issues.. But I doubt that.

Last edited by Naso--Lituratus; 04-16-2015 at 03:58 PM.
mastersid (04-16-2015)
Old 04-16-2015, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Naso--Lituratus
Well that was not very constructive.

Of course it can be (has been) done.

I will be running into this problem soon as well but with the XJR.

At least one company in my state will do it (750-1000$).

Jaguar | ECU Tuning Group

It can always be done my friend, it is just a matter of funds and will power.

I am sure many a folk told Avos to get a different car when he wanted to add 200hp.

When I do it I will post my results.. I always do.

Edit:

Doc comments here;

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ations-137803/

When I spoke to ECU Tuning Group the tech told me, that when I switch to my 200 cspi Cats I may not have any MIL issues.. But I doubt that.
Thanks Naso--Literatus , I know what can and has been done in Australia for remaps .
I was wondering what others do around the world , and thanks you'v answered my question .
Take care

Old 04-16-2015, 08:20 PM

I am not to sure what all a remap will entail. But it certainly can be done.

Use some google-foo and find a shop near you that can do it, give them a call and let us know what they think.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

The OP asked about the plain 4,2 and I stand by my answer: change car. Those who assume my answer applies to the R cars have assumed wrongly. I know about Avos, tuners, etc.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:41 AM
Received 4,458 Likes on 2,427 Posts

There isn't a big selection cars for sale here to choose from. Especially LWB XJ's...

Not a single LWB supercharged X350 for sale in this country right now. Have not seen one on the market for nearly 12 months.

There is one slightly used LWB X351 Supersport, for $270'000, or a couple of new ones on the lot for $324'000

X350 XJR's? Two for sale in the whole country, $40K and $48K respectively.

S-Type R's? Zero listed for sale here...

mastersid (04-17-2015)
Old 04-17-2015, 04:33 AM

Hello Cambo , thanks for your input , your right , X350L are pretty rare at the moment and have been for a while , on a popular car sale site , there are only 5 X350 for sale , one only is LWB with the 4.2 litre , the others are SWB 3.5 litre . Although I respect the comments made by JagV8 , I don't understand why I should " change the car " .
If I wanted " R " performance I would have bought one .
Anyway have a good weekend ,
cheers

Old 04-17-2015, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by mastersid
Hello Cambo , thanks for your input , your right , X350L are pretty rare at the moment and have been for a while , on a popular car sale site , there are only 5 X350 for sale , one only is LWB with the 4.2 litre , the others are SWB 3.5 litre . Although I respect the comments made by JagV8 , I don't understand why I should " change the car " .
If I wanted " R " performance I would have bought one .
Anyway have a good weekend ,
cheers
Dude, If you like the car, and want to mod it a little bit because it will make you happy.

Friggin do it.

If that is what you want to do then do it, don't let someone else tell you what to do with your car. If it makes you happy then go for it.

Will it be somewhat of a waste of time trying to get peak performance out of a non R? Yep, But I don't think that is what you are asking to do here.

I bought an XJR and I am now saving for the twin screw kit.. Hurry up Avos. I could of bought a camaro or mustang for half the price of what I paid for the XJR, and with 5000$ dollars worth of mods it would be a god damn monster car. Like scary fast.

70% of people will tell me that what I am doing shouldn't be done, or is a waste of money, or I should change cars... Let me do me, If it makes me happy that is all that matters.

In summary, and to repeat myself again. The only thing that really matters is you. If you want to mod YOUR car then do it. If it pleases YOU to make your exhaust meaner.. DO IT.

If you like the car enough to throw the money at it then I don't see the problem. You can't take the money with you when you "go" so enjoy it. No reason to get a new car.**

Unless your end goal is peak performance, in that case you will be better off with an R.**

Not trying to flame Jagv8, thats just my outlook on car modding.

Last edited by Naso--Lituratus; 04-17-2015 at 11:36 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Naso--Lituratus:
Cambo (04-30-2015), mastersid (04-17-2015), Panthro (06-13-2019), User 070620 (09-04-2015)
Old 04-18-2015, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Naso--Lituratus
Dude, If you like the car, and want to mod it a little bit because it will make you happy.

Friggin do it.

If that is what you want to do then do it, don't let someone else tell you what to do with your car. If it makes you happy then go for it.

Will it be somewhat of a waste of time trying to get peak performance out of a non R? Yep, But I don't think that is what you are asking to do here.

I bought an XJR and I am now saving for the twin screw kit.. Hurry up Avos. I could of bought a camaro or mustang for half the price of what I paid for the XJR, and with 5000$ dollars worth of mods it would be a god damn monster car. Like scary fast.

70% of people will tell me that what I am doing shouldn't be done, or is a waste of money, or I should change cars... Let me do me, If it makes me happy that is all that matters.

In summary, and to repeat myself again. The only thing that really matters is you. If you want to mod YOUR car then do it. If it pleases YOU to make your exhaust meaner.. DO IT.

If you like the car enough to throw the money at it then I don't see the problem. You can't take the money with you when you "go" so enjoy it. No reason to get a new car.**

Unless your end goal is peak performance, in that case you will be better off with an R.**

Not trying to flame Jagv8, thats just my outlook on car modding.
Thanks again mate ,
Don't worry to much about it , he may have thought I wanted an XJR without having one .
In which case he's right , you can't turn an NA into an R . I actually owned two X308 XJR'S , great model , but wouldn't swap it for an X350L .

At least you understood what I was asking and gave as we say a " SPOT ON " answer .

Cheers Naso--Lituratus

Panthro (06-13-2019)
Old 04-18-2015, 10:22 PM
doc
Received 202 Likes on 169 Posts

I have done the remap on a non S/C X350 4.2

I had my cats and 02 sensors upgraded 200 cell metals substrate cats and 2 and 1/4 inch pipes from the headers out to a underfloor X pipe also new 02 sensors top and bottom at the same time after doing the exhaust mods
I also installed A K&N panel filter new maf and map sensors plugs and a top end and injector clean and new fuel pressure sender

The car started throwing fault codes emission system not working properly so I had the car remapped on a dyno

A very costly experience I can tell you seems no one in Australia had done a X350 before my car they had to remove the ECU and modify it before being able to re-flash it

As for just re-flashing a standard car with old cats and sensors it would be a waste of time and money look at my dyno sheet with all my mods and see the increase oh and I spent close to 10 grand au on the car to make it like it is today got the receipts to prove it to

I am happy with the car just waiting for someone to crack the transmission ECU so I can change the diff gears then I will be totally satisfied with the car

Attached Thumbnails Xj 4.2 remap-x350-dyno.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by doc:
mastersid (04-18-2015), Panthro (05-28-2016)
Old 04-18-2015, 11:16 PM

Hello Doc ,
Thanks for your reply , I fitted the 100 cell cats but kept all oxy sensors as my mileage was quite low (28,000 km ) at the time and a full 2.5 inch sports system.
What a difference that made to the performance , mainly on take off , so for that reason I was thinking a remap if poss would give just that little extra , by your graph it looks like it might.
I was quoted by a local tuner 1200.00 to remove the ECU and remap it but he said the gains wouldn't really be worth it . I tend to now disagree with him as you seem quite happy with yours .
I will keep searching , by the way is a remap the same as a re flash ?
Cheers Doc , and again thanks for your experience .

Old 04-19-2015, 08:02 AM
doc

flash and remap

Flash is an existing tune I.E. generic tune if you had exactly what I have you could theoretically with the right interface copy it and use it

A remap is especially designed for my or you car I.E. dyno tuned and adjusted for the specific vehicle

Flash tunes are okay I have had quite a few of them on my diesel vehicles and they unleash power on the diesels but not so much on petrel engines as petrol engines are in a higher state of tune

They tune diesels for the poorest quality fuel

With flash tunes unless you know where your flash is coming from and they are reputable could come from any country

There are flash tunes available online for 100 dollars they don't care what happens to you engine and lets face it once you have created the map the more you sell it the more money you make

I know this as I am currently liaising with a very reputable flash tuning guy in Melbourne to try become his QLD agent

On our latest flash tune in my Renault trafic diesel van van which came from overseas
First version engine revved freely but no toque
Second adjsutement increase torque now over 3500 rpm it shuts down the engine as fuel rail pressure is above standard safety protocols so basically after my 3rd attemspt at modifying the flash It should be perfect and I can guarantee it for future customers for that model van

If it had been a remap on the dyno it would have taken a bit longer but done right from the beginning maybe a second time to confirm

The second time on the XJ8 was unnecessary and as you can see by the map its not about top end performance look at my midrange its increased quite a bit and where do you drive most street cars the midrange

just do your research on the guys supplying the flash tune

My remap came from a guy in the UK as the Aussie guys had no idea about tuning these engines so needed to be pointed in the right direction so now they can do a XJ8 and I paid for them to learn how to do it
(and it cost plenty to)

Like I said bring on the transmission ecu crack so I can change the diff gears

Panthro (05-28-2016)
Old 04-19-2015, 06:49 PM

Thanks for the clarification Doc , I think I'll end it here , It seems I may have stirred up some bad memories / experience cost wise .

Cheers ,

Old 04-20-2015, 03:04 AM
doc

I didn't see that you where in Sydney
my mate Wayne has done a flash for one of these as well he is the only guy I trust to do the job right and gives backup support and he charges a grand PM me if you are keen and Ill give you his number I am seeing him next week in Sydney 27 till 28th

Old 04-20-2015, 04:45 AM

Thanks Doc , I've taken on board all that you have told me so far .
I'm going to have a DYNO done on the car , if the HP is good enough I'll probably leave it

If the 100 cell cats haven't made at least an extra 10-15 HP then I will contact you if that's still ok with you , as you said no point re flashing a standard set up .

Cheers ,

Old 04-20-2015, 05:44 AM
doc

Just a question as to the 100 cell cats
my car started throwing fault codes when I went to 200 cell cats is your car throwing any codes
just curious as if mine hadn't thrown codes I wouldn't have tuned it
I cant remember the codes it was last year midyear

Old 04-20-2015, 06:15 AM

Doc , I warned that it would throw a light , however the installer fitted at extra cost two mini type cats.
The light came on after 250km so reset them via obd scanner , light reappeared , again after about 260kms . some company in america advertised " GAURANTEED EXHAUST CEL FIX " so I bought them , light has not reappeared since ( done about 18,000 kms since)

I think my code was P0420 from memory .
Cheers Doc ,

Old 04-20-2015, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by mastersid
Doc , I warned that it would throw a light , however the installer fitted at extra cost two mini type cats.
The light came on after 250km so reset them via obd scanner , light reappeared , again after about 260kms . some company in america advertised " GAURANTEED EXHAUST CEL FIX " so I bought them , light has not reappeared since ( done about 18,000 kms since)

I think my code was P0420 from memory .
Cheers Doc ,
Well don't be shy share the link.

Quick Reply: Xj 4.2 remap