XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

An XJ with no substantial problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 11:21 AM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default An XJ with no substantial problems

You know folks, it seems we all come to this forum to scour for fixes and maintenance queries.

I was wondering if I could ask if anyone with XJ models built under Ford's ownership of the brand, especially the years of 2002 to 2009, whether they actually feel that they have benefitted in terms of quality. I just sold my immaculate Taurus X with only 32000kms on it and have noticed some of Ford's production ideas on the Jaguar I just purchased (perhaps it's my imagination).

I guess I would like to know if we have some XJ owners who have actually had a relatively carefree time whilst owning their Jaguar. If you could also let us know the year and mileage on your car, that would be helpful.

I personally have not owned a Jaguar since buying one new in 1986, an XJ6 Sovereign and have just recently purchased a XJ VDP with 26000 km, not miles, on it. It's been great and after reading all the XJ threads I wonder how durable the model has become. I sometimes have nightmares wondering when the throttle body or air suspension system is going to go kaput based on my ownership of 5 previous Jags over the years (lol).

Thanks for your thoughts

Old 10-15-2013, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

Ive had a 2003 Vanden Plas, 2005 XJ and 2008 Vanden Plas....and now i have a 2012 XJ....so needless to say my experience has been vast. All my cars were leased from new and maxed at 20k-30k miles.

Did i have any problems with any of the cars? For the most part, no. I had 1 issue with my 03 VDP, throttle body needed replacing. That was it.

Quality of the cars? id say they were all pretty high quality. regardless of being under Fords rule...everything used was high grade: wood, leather, carpets. Even the plastic pieces had a different feeling. If i hadnt known any better, i would not have been able to tell Ford had any hand in the company.

The one thing i did notice that really annoyed me was the green blacklight to the buttons and gauges when they are lit...they were the same green color that Ford used.

In terms of reliability, id say Ford made it for the better. I wouldnt fret about the air suspension issue too much. If it happens, it happens....and its going to happen. not because of Jaguar...but because of the nature of the technology. i see mercedes' and Audis sitting on the floor because of the same air suspension.

id say the X350's are pretty bulletproof, and you can get a used one at a great price

The following users liked this post:
Vinnyboy (10-15-2013)
Old 10-16-2013, 08:16 AM
cjd
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

It is night and day between the Lucas and non-Lucas cars. Ford also knew how to choose gaskets, so all the oil leaks ended as soon as Ford took over.

Vinnyboy (10-16-2013)
Old 10-16-2013, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,952 Likes on 7,196 Posts

I'd have to think that the most obvious Ford influence, in terms of technology, can be seen in comparing 70s/80s vintage Jags to mid-90s/early 2000s Jags.

In the last 10 years or so I think Jags are pretty much mainstream technology. Nothing particularly Ford-ish or Jaguar-ish. Or Tata-ish. I'm taking outta my hat, though. My experience with modern Jags is limited.

I used to call my 1987 XJ6 "the most modern of all antique automobiles". My 1988 XJS wasn't much different. Very olde world, almost backwards, engineering. My 1995 XJR is in an entirely different world in all respects, almost all of them good. Of course, by today's standard, it's also an antique.

Cheers
DD

Vinnyboy (10-16-2013)
Old 10-16-2013, 11:48 AM
Received 217 Likes on 113 Posts

Ive had two XJRs an x308 on a 98 which had 130,000 on the clock and had a new engine (free replacement from Jaguar due to nikasil issue), a water pump (plastic impeller issue) and a throttle body (again free replacement due to Jaguar issue) and aside from routine maintenance, and or course mods, that was it had it for three years.

My current '08 XJR has again proved reliable and has just turned over 100,000 miles, i have again done routine maintenance plugs,thermostat, oil flush and royal purple oil, all filters, a set of tyres and again mods! The only annoying thing is having to pay £500 a year road tax with it being newer than '06 even the fuel economy is not that bad considering the size style and pace of the car.

As far as the Ford influence goes i think its a good thing, they took the financial backing and improved the reliability of their cars to such an extent that they still do well in customer surveys, cant fault them for that. But i will agree the green switches could have been a better colour.

Vinnyboy (10-16-2013)
Old 10-16-2013, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

What Ford did was to spend almost the US defence budget on production facilities at Jaguar. It is this that has really improved the cars. Trouble was Ford never got that money back from sales. We all now know Ford were even more conservative than Jaguar when it came to style, and eventually, the people who bought into this style retired or died leaving a huge gap.

Ford were completely stupid when they took over Jaguar; they paid way too much and got a dog of a company. No due diligence was done, it was just a grab with a lot of money to keep other companies out. When Ford men went in and looked at the factories they were shocked at how primitive and ancient they were. My own X350 has to be 100 times better made than my last Jaguar, a 1980 XJ6. That car was a dog, yet only one year older than my X350 when I bought it, 8 years old instead of 7.

Of course, Jaguar made major boo-boos under Ford, like the V8 engine that was a real dog at first with its Nikasil bore liners, and poor timing chain and tensioner design. OK, now it's OK, but the early engines must have upset a lot of people, and a car manufacturer cannot upset too many people.

The following 2 users liked this post by Fraser Mitchell:
Redthing (10-26-2013), Vinnyboy (10-16-2013)
Old 10-16-2013, 07:52 PM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
I used to call my 1987 XJ6 "the most modern of all antique automobiles". My 1988 XJS wasn't much different.
DD
Doug, that was a great way of putting it!

Old 10-16-2013, 11:42 PM
Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

I can only relate a few notes on our experience, buying our first Jag...an '04 XJ8. The car has been relatively trouble free, especially for a highly gadget laden 10 year old automobile. I had to replace the coolant overflow, which I will point out looks practically identical to the one under the hood of my son's Ford Mustang.

I will have to replace a number of suspension parts soon, and found receipts in the glove box totaling around $8k...yikes. I think someone bailed after they spent all their money.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:43 PM
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

I've owned a 98' XJ8L and a 03' STR and both cars were pretty reliable. the XJ8 wasnt a problem at all. I only replaced the fuel pump, tensioners, struts and compressor out of 7 years. The STR issue was fuel pump, HID motor and the audio amp. ran great like new when it was sold.

Looking forward to enjoying a new purchase soon.