XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

XJ350 - Adjustable pedals inoperative

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2024, 07:21 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default XJ350 - Adjustable pedals inoperative

Hello all,

I had my XJ350 on service the other day - change of brake fluid - and when i picked the car up and drove home, the system for the adjustable pedals broke down.
It seams that the mechanic had altered my pre-set driver position fit his conditions, which of course were necessary - but as a consequence, when i put my foot on the brake pedal to commence the drive, the adjustable pedal "system" apparently broke down. I felt the brake pedal trying to move towards me (I.E. quite forcefully), then there was just a whining noice from under the steering column and I could not re-adjust the pedal back to it's lower (st) posistion. I have rather long legs and i always keep the pedals in their lowest position.
Stangely, the trottle pedal remained at the lowest position thoughout the sequence which makes me to believe that something has broken down governing only the brake pedal part of the adjustable pedal system.

I'm not a mechanic and have never been a mechanic. However I am interested in learning new areas and I understand that members of this forum have a wast number of knowledge and I look foreward to learn from you all.
Looking fwd to hear from you.

Kind regards
Claes

Old 07-21-2024, 09:30 AM
Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts

The most usual cause of this failure is a broken plastic gear in the mechanism. The remedy is to replace the plastic gear with a metal one. If you search through the threads, you can find several discussions on this topic. The repair is not too difficult but I would not recommend attempting it by beginners. Replacement metal gears were available from a mechanic in Michigan USA. I don't know whether he still sells them or not.
These entire adjustable pedal units were sourced from Ford, when Ford owned Jaguar.

Old 07-21-2024, 02:19 PM
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Facebook Post
Curless Auto Repair, I was told he doesn't check this forum regularly

Hindsight 20/20: It took me more time than it should, in the end the only challenging part was getting the plastic broken cog off of the thread, it is held there by a metal washer.
So I would advice to wrap the plastic cog in some fabric, and screw it off of the thread using tongue-and-groove pliers. This will pull the metal washer off, so you don't even need to file it, and you can re-use it later.

You might want to look at this thread:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...pedals-187127/

The broken cog is hidden under that black piece of plastic with a white "W" letter on it.

You should be able to see with your naked eye that the cog is broken.
In my case this is what it looked like:

The following users liked this post:
User 42324 (07-21-2024)
Old 07-24-2024, 04:37 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default XJ 350 Adjustable pedals inoperative.

Hello all - and thanks to you that responded so promptly to my first call out.

Having read through the related tread I understand that it is not so easy to repair as there seams to be no substitute for the broken down plastic gear apart from replacing it with a metal ditto from Chris at Curless Auto.

A warm thanks extended to Mr. Jaroslaw Zaruba who directed me to Chris, and to whom I sent a mail with a request for help. Although no respons yet, I'm eagerly awaiting his response. The car means a lot to me and with those stupid long legs, i it is imperative that I would be able to re-adjust the break pedal again down to its lowest position.
If no gear/cogwheel awailable, I hope that there might be someone in this precious community that may be able to show/instruct me to how to manually "screw" down brake pedal downwards.

Again, thank you so much,

Kind regards
Claes

The following users liked this post:
Jaroslav Záruba (07-24-2024)