XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

XJ8 2004-9 Reliability/Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 04:46 PM
Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts
Smile XJ8 2004-9 Reliability/Purchase

Hi I am a 2001 xk8 owner looking to purchase an XJ8 saloon. Is there a tread anywhere you can direct me to as to which is the better year XJ8 to purchase?
I am a little concerned about the air suspension, is there an easy way to test this during a demo ride or getting my indy to check it all out.

Many thanks for your replies and help!!

Old 11-08-2015, 06:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,455 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Look at the 'sticky' at the top of the forum. This will tell you a lot about the car.
As far as the air suspension goes, you must not have any fault messages on the dash for this. Two messages can appear : -

- Air suspension fault
- Vehicle too low

The first message merely demands you get it checked out as soon as possible, the second message demands you don't drive the vehicle until it has been fixed. If an air spring blows, you'll get the second message. If the air compressor is starting to get a bit lazy in charging the reservoir, you'll get the first message.

Despite what you might think, the air suspension system is very reliable and rarely gives trouble except that the compressors tend to wear out their piston seals rather quickly. There is now a kit to repair these on the internet, or you can buy direct from our member 'bagpipingandy'. Of course the real downside of the air suspension is the cost of the air springs. Made in Germany by Bilstein they are now available on the after-market at lower prices, but no way are they going to be cheap. Alternatives are available from Arnott Industries, but so far, these do not support the Jaguar variable shock absorber system called CATS, only the Bilsteins do. On the other hand one can ask whether CATS is really necessary at all .

Generally speaking a car of any year is OK, the later cars are slightly restyled in a rather brutal fashion in my own opinion, (others like it)

Reliability is fine, you are extremely unlikely to be left stranded at the roadside, but do bear in mind repairs reflect the cost of the car when new. Cars depreciate, parts prices don't although the aftermarket has cheaper supplies of the parts in demand.

Last edited by Fraser Mitchell; 11-08-2015 at 06:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
djpxk8 (11-09-2015)
Old 11-09-2015, 09:26 AM
Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts

Fraser, many thanks for your input, I agree with you that the later cars are more "brutish".
I now need to decide if I want the extra expense and complications of a supercharger on top of the engine?
What is your view on Supercharger or not? I am not looking for a very fast saloon car, just a comfortable ride. Are the supercharger models easier to sell down the road etc...?

Old 11-09-2015, 11:40 AM
Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

2005, love mine.. not an issue with it yet (though its only got 43k miles)

djpxk8 (11-12-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,455 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Originally Posted by djpxk8
Fraser, many thanks for your input, I agree with you that the later cars are more "brutish".
I now need to decide if I want the extra expense and complications of a supercharger on top of the engine?
What is your view on Supercharger or not? I am not looking for a very fast saloon car, just a comfortable ride. Are the supercharger models easier to sell down the road etc...?
Supercharging is not something I would want in a car, as it adds complexity but one only uses the additional power very rarely, (unless you are a 'wheel spin to wheel-lock' type of person), The supercharged cars also have a bit of an Achilles heel from the routing of a small coolant hose underneath the supercharger in the V of the engine. If this starts to leak it is very expensive in labour to replace, although the hose itself is not expensive.
In addition, the supercharged cars will inevitably have large diameter wheels and low-profile tyres, plus they have the Sports suspension which is firmer than the Comfort setting. These settings are intrinsic to the Bilstein spring when its made, they are not configurable. These two things will make the ride much harsher.

djpxk8 (11-12-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,256 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
Supercharging is not something I would want in a car, as it adds complexity but one only uses the additional power very rarely, (unless you are a 'wheel spin to wheel-lock' type of person), The supercharged cars also have a bit of an Achilles heel from the routing of a small coolant hose underneath the supercharger in the V of the engine. If this starts to leak it is very expensive in labour to replace, although the hose itself is not expensive.
In addition, the supercharged cars will inevitably have large diameter wheels and low-profile tyres, plus they have the Sports suspension which is firmer than the Comfort setting. These settings are intrinsic to the Bilstein spring when its made, they are not configurable. These two things will make the ride much harsher.
-

SuperV8 and portfolio's do not have sport suspension, they have the comfort suspension. Stock wheels are 19 inch. Not sure if that's what you consider low profile. I did swap my 19 inch wheels for 18 inch though for the very reason Fraser mentions. My ride is quiet and not harsh at all.

US open highway driving is amenable to SC and the SC themselves are reliable. You certainly don't need one but don't let the coolant hose scare you off, though in fairness, when the hose goes, if you're not a DIY'er you're probably looking @ an $1100 expense for a $10 hose.
My car is 10 years old and the hose is still in tact.

Service records are more important than features and if you happen upon a SC and you have all the records, good judgement applies, as with any purchase.

djpxk8 (11-12-2015)