XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

XJ8 4.2 or XJR? X350

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 03:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XJ8 4.2 or XJR? X350

Hello everyone, apologies if this has been covered before.

I'm seriously considering a 2nd X350, we have a 2006 diesel XJ6 sovereign which is a joy to own.

It is my belief that the X350 is a technological marvel with it's aluminium body and one of the most beautiful series to come out.

This time round I'd like a 4.2L petrol X350 and so more umph to go with it. I'm willing to spend more than 10k for the appropriate low mileage one and I've already been looking at a few of them.

I wanted to ask you all your opinion on whether I should get the XJR supercharged or the normally aspirated 4.2L, fuel cost is not a factor. I'm after a metallic black car, ideally with oatmeal leather and walnut interior. Here are some of my considerations and concerns:

XJR

-Supercharger - I am concerned I may find the supercharger "whine" annoying, having briefly driven our company van which has a turbocharger I can tell you that I do find it annoying. However if it has the sound dampening that our diesel X350 has I'm sure it'd be inaudible.

-Turbo lag - I imagine without a supercharger I would not experience this, i.e. put the foot down, delay then acceleration.

-All black exterior colour. I do find the XJ8 Sovereign far more attractive with it's chrome finish on the front grille, side windows and rear boot. If I were to purchase an XJR I would want to change at least the front grille and rear boot to the same chrome look as on the other XJs.

-Inner livery, I have yet to find an XJR in black that has an interior that was not black, I'd prefer the oatmeal leather and walnut dashboard look.

XJ8 4.2

-Not sure I entirely need 100bhp more than the normally aspirated car.

-I imagine the naturally aspirated car would have no super charger lag, something I don't like at all.

-It'll be a mixed used vehicle, in town and motorways, the XJ8 maybe a smoother ride?

-I imagine the brakes are not as good as on the XJR

-Although fuel cost is not an issue I imagine I'd be stopping less to fuel which is always nice. Good range is important to me, but fuel cost is not.

-I may also be in the market for an LWB specifically with tables for the back seats. I understand no such XJRL's were made!

-Simpler engine and more longevity without the supercharger.

Lastly my only gripe with the X350 is the electronic hand brake because I always prefer a physical one.

I may even be in the market for a X308, I know nothing about owning these cars except for they are also very beautiful and have the hand brake I desire! Funnily enough the XJR X308 in all black I do find very attractive as is.

So there you have it, would love to hear your opinions!

Thanks!

XJ8 Chrome finishing

XJR all black

XJR X308 - This one although not an X350 is seriously tempting, unlike the X350 I quite like it in all black.

Last edited by Acebars; 12-27-2015 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 04:20 PM
Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

The XJR all day long!
1. Supercharger Whine- yes you do notice it under hard acceleration, but it is a wonderful sound and supercharged owners love it, and even make it louder!
2.The advantage of a supercharger over a turbo is, power is pretty much instant- no lag.
3. Look at a Super V8 (basically a XJR and Sovereign combined, can be LWB), lots with black and ivory interiors- like mine .

MPG is in real terms about the same as the N/A 4.2.

Old 12-27-2015, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts

+1 on the above.
Although I live in the USA I am English and visit The South Coast of Sussex frequently. What would worry me driving a car like the XJR is the ease it attains a speed way above the speed limit with all the "cameras" around!

Old 12-27-2015, 08:32 PM
Received 215 Likes on 149 Posts

Ive had both. A 308 and now a X350 SV8. I love my SV8, I only "liked" my 308. Although the 308 had more of the classic body, I could never go back to one. This X350 is the best Jag I've ever owned and driven. There's no comparison!!!! Even with the possible issues of suspension, and $$$$$ body work.
As said in the reviews and on this site "with the X350, Jaguar finally got it right !"
Keep in mind, that I started with a XJ-40. What a build. But thats a different story

Old 12-27-2015, 10:25 PM
Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

Go for the XJR. I WISH to GOD that I could have found one when I was Jaguar shopping!

Old 12-28-2015, 03:54 AM
Received 171 Likes on 141 Posts

I went with the Super V8. The supercharger can sound amazing but also depending how you drive is not noticeable .
It really does fly and no lag at all.
On a trip to Liverpool at an average speed of 70mph showing on the computer I avaraged 28mpg.
The same trip a month after in my 3.0 diesel at the same computer showing average speed Of 70mph ( purely by chance ) got 37mpg.
Well worth searching one out.
I spent 10 evenings online until mine was listed and bought it the next day!
I wanted one in Radiance Red the same as the 3.5se I part exchanged for it.
Best of luck in your search and why not got and drive one, that will certainly make your mind up !

Old 12-28-2015, 07:01 AM

When I get a moment I would like to try both of them out, don't know how or where.

Can anyone who has experienced both or has a naturally aspirated 4.2 chime in?

I buy cars for keeps, I rather spend the money replacing parts than buying new cars. So far the diesel X350 has been going strong for nearly 10 years and will mostly likely be with us forever, god willing. So if I get the XJR or XJ8 the intention is to buy to keep.

My concern with the supercharged one is in the long run the maintenance maybe a problem given the addition of intricate parts and engine under pressure.

So endurance and also how often I would have to fuel come into it, the range of our diesel is delightful, new it was around 800 miles on the motorway, now it's around 700 miles I would say. Can't imagine a 4.2 supercharger achieving the same or half that.

On another note lookswise the X308 is really mighty tempting..

Last edited by Acebars; 12-28-2015 at 07:03 AM.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:04 PM

Where in Lancashire are you? You are welcome to have a look/ride in mine.

Originally Posted by Acebars
So endurance and also how often I would have to fuel come into it, the range of our diesel is delightful, new it was around 800 miles on the motorway, now it's around 700 miles I would say. Can't imagine a 4.2 supercharger achieving the same or half that.
My Super V8 has managed over 500 miles on a tank.

Failures are rare on the supercharged cars, the valley pipe can be a pain though.

Last edited by alecescolme; 12-28-2015 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:34 PM
Received 171 Likes on 141 Posts

The x308 will be conciderably more thirsty as it is a heavier car than the aluminium model. The engines were improved as well so the 4.2 supercharged will be more economical than the 4.0 version.
You have the diesel jaguar that was made for economy whereas the supercharged car was made for performance with economy coming as a lower priority. I actually think than a supercharged car than can get up to 30mpg is amazing but everything hinges on how you drive it of course.

Last edited by roviw; 12-28-2015 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by roviw
The x308 will be conciderably more thirsty as it is a heavier car than the aluminium model. The engines were improved as well so the 4.2 supercharged will be more economical than the 4.0 version.
You have the diesel jaguar that was made for economy whereas the supercharged car was made for performance with economy coming as a lower priority. I actually think than a supercharged car than can get up to 30mpg is amazing but everything hinges on how you drive it of course.
On a 450 mile trip from Baltimore to Cape Cod using 93 Premium I often get an indicated 27 mpg . US gallons obviously. It was at night I was alone but had the car loaded with stuff and I kept at a shade under 80 whenever I could with several blips over 100 to get by drivers that would overtake and then slow down.

Around town, very short trips, I get about 18 mpg. On those short trips I often blast it as much as I dare around windy back roads with good vision across the bends. Thats without the wife!

The following 2 users liked this post by jackra_1:
den54 (01-01-2016), Panthro (02-07-2020)
Old 12-28-2015, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by alecescolme
Where in Lancashire are you? You are welcome to have a look/ride in mine.
This would be fabulous I shall contact you shortly, I am leaving abroad tomorrow but this would be wonderful and would perhaps let me know whether or not I could live with the supercharger.

I have been thinking recently that as I'm going for the big guzzler engine I may as well go the whole hog and get the supercharger one, nice to have an understated rocket under your belt.

I do love the diesel X350 for the quiet smooth sailing ride it provides and hopefully the Super V8 is the same.

If I do go supercharger I suppose then the question for me would be x308 vs x350, the x308 is so beautiful in my opinion. Also I have read that the x308 is the more planted of the two cars both due to the weight and the spring suspension. If I did choose a x308 I imagine it would need a no expenses spared going over. Economy wouldn't make me shy away but the fuel range might. (It also maybe nice to pick up a Nikasil lined one from the year 2000, so post high sulphur fuel)

Just to illustrate my point you can see the air suspension wobbling about with this lighter X350 XJR on fifth gear.

Last edited by Acebars; 12-28-2015 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 04 VDP with the 4.2 NA and got around 26 to 27 mpg. That was though the mountains and with some high winds. I don't seem to have much of a problem with getting it up to speed. It seems to do just fine in that area.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:45 AM
Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Hi I have a xjr I bought mine to sell it to a customer 1 1/2 years later still got it I kept it for myself if you drive it like miss daisy on a run you will get 28/30 to the gallon and 20 around town use the right pedal and say goodbye to fuel at a fair old rate . Truth be told you cannot use the performance much on these cars they really do shift, last year as a experiment I went from Cornwall to London and did not take the engine over 2000 rpm and in top gear at that rpm you will be doing more than 70 mph .

Old 01-03-2016, 09:44 PM
Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

XJR hands down. Similar fuel economy way extra power. I too have gotten over 500 miles on a single tank. I feel more comfortable knowing I have that extra power if I need to overtake someone on the freeway or stop abruptly with the Brembos.
The supercharger whine is not much noticeable if not driven hard. As far as engine durability a few forum members have reported 180+ thousand miles on the supercharged engine.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 198 Posts
Smile

XJR, hands down. Best car I ever owned.

I am leery about the claims of 27+mpg under any condition. I never, *ever* got anything above 22mpg (18 - 22). You guys don't drive your cars the way they are meant to be driven?

Old 01-08-2016, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Lagonia

I am leery about the claims of 27+mpg under any condition. I never, *ever* got anything above 22mpg (18 - 22). You guys don't drive your cars the way they are meant to be driven?

All depends on how you drive. I've gotten up to 31 on my XJ8L on highway trips so i'm it leads me to think that 27 is possible in an XJR if the cruise is set at 70-75 like I do.

Old 01-08-2016, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Lagonia

I got 35mpg (UK) so 29 (USA) according to the computer. Driving at 70-75mph and some 50 mph speed restrictions, sport mode on and briefly testing the acceleration.

Old 01-08-2016, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by alecescolme
I got 35mpg (UK) so 29 (USA) according to the computer. Driving at 70-75mph and some 50 mph speed restrictions, sport mode on and briefly testing the acceleration.
Totally achievable so long as you use 93 Octane, at least, from a reputable gas station here in the US.

I have tried 93 Octane from the local grocery store gas station and get significantly lower mpg than from the local Shell station.

On the long trips at night from Baltimore to Boston and back I drive just under 80 mph as often as possible with a number of spurts to well over 100mph.

80 to over 100mph in an XJR is pretty quick pedal to the floor.

I have passed cops at 80 mph at night and have never, so far, been stopped. I have had them come from behind at high speed and always go below 80mph as I see them coming.

Last edited by jackra_1; 01-08-2016 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Acebars
This would be fabulous I shall contact you shortly, I am leaving abroad tomorrow but this would be wonderful and would perhaps let me know whether or not I could live with the supercharger.

I have been thinking recently that as I'm going for the big guzzler engine I may as well go the whole hog and get the supercharger one, nice to have an understated rocket under your belt.

I do love the diesel X350 for the quiet smooth sailing ride it provides and hopefully the Super V8 is the same.

If I do go supercharger I suppose then the question for me would be x308 vs x350, the x308 is so beautiful in my opinion. Also I have read that the x308 is the more planted of the two cars both due to the weight and the spring suspension. If I did choose a x308 I imagine it would need a no expenses spared going over. Economy wouldn't make me shy away but the fuel range might. (It also maybe nice to pick up a Nikasil lined one from the year 2000, so post high sulphur fuel)

Just to illustrate my point you can see the air suspension wobbling about with this lighter X350 XJR on fifth gear.

Fifth Gear - Mercedes CLS 55 AMG vs Jaguar XJR - YouTube
The XJR is not a real sports car. Way too softly sprung. plus I feel the body flexing. My hotrodded A8 is a slot car. The XJR is a Ford LTD.
Looks is where the XJR leaves the Volvo (AMG) sitting. The AMG has no lines, no balance.
Also I like the color matched trim. The chrome looks dated.
Love my XJR, even with all new suspension the handling is not R acing quality. Rides and handles more luxury than sports.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Panelhead
The XJR is not a real sports car. Way too softly sprung. plus I feel the body flexing. My hotrodded A8 is a slot car. The XJR is a Ford LTD.
Looks is where the XJR leaves the Volvo (AMG) sitting. The AMG has no lines, no balance.
Also I like the color matched trim. The chrome looks dated.
Love my XJR, even with all new suspension the handling is not R acing quality. Rides and handles more luxury than sports.
Volvo (AMG)????

Nigh say what nigh??