XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

XJ8 4.2 or XJR? X350

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 05:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by viper1996
The OP stated fuel mileage was not a concern...And that's what this thread has turned into...XJR all the way if you are performance guy...XJ8 if performance is not an issue...He will get a real nice, mint low mileage XJ8 for the same price as a average XJR with lots more miles...And his parameters on interior/exterior colors will be easier to fulfill with an Xj8...I have an XJ8 now, but would prefer an XJR for myself...But im really worried about the poor fuel mileage!!!
Fuel cost is not the issue, fuel range is. If for some reason an XJR had a bigger fuel tank for example, it'd win for me then.

In the real world you cannot use the performance of the xjr for long on the road trust me I've tried nice to have the power though I would go for the best example of either one within your budget best thing is go and see a few and have a test drive in them
Can you elaborate?

Old 04-06-2016, 03:16 AM

I believe I have finally made the arduous decision!

I still have yet to test drive both versions of the car, which will be the final decision.

But I believe X350 SV8 maybe the one I'm after, although sometimes I do think isn't 300bhp enough! I'm too busy now to even buy the car but I expect I'll be looking seriously in a month or so.

Thanks all for the input.

On a final note is there anyway to significantly improve the handling of an X350? Or are we stuck with the wobbling? I have noticed it on my diesel x350 tbh.

Last edited by Acebars; 04-06-2016 at 03:40 AM.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:38 AM
Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Acebars
I believe I have finally made the arduous decision!

I still have yet to test drive both versions of the car, which will be the final decision.

But I believe X350 SV8 maybe the one I'm after, although sometimes I do think isn't 300bhp enough! I'm too busy now to even buy the car but I expect I'll be looking seriously in a month or so.

Thanks all for the input.

On a final note is there anyway to significantly improve the handling of an X350? Or are we stuck with the wobbling? I have noticed it on my diesel x350 tbh.
Do you mean Super V8 or Sovereign V8?
The Super V8 has exactly the same 400hp as the XJR

Old 04-06-2016, 12:40 PM

I mean the Super V8.

Although again having made the decision I am still toing and froing with the sovereign V8!!! Factors such as engine longevity come to mind etc. surely a normally aspirated engine will be kinder in the long term. Note that once I buy I will not sell, our diesel has done 10 years and still looks like new.

I suppose only a test drive will make my decision. My decision will ultimately come down to the supercharger whine, if I can hear it too noticeably no amount of convincing will make me buy the XJR/Super V8. I'm currently abroad for the next month so it'll have to wait.

I love the fuel economy of our Diesel x350 really because of it's range, although I wanted something a little punchier. I was contemplating putting LPG on the next jag I buy, but that may be sacrilege and unnecessary, it'd give me the extended range I desire before filling up though, I'm mainly thinking for when I'm bombing over germany doing 160-180km/h etc. where I would expend the LPG tank in the boot and then the fuel without stopping.

Last edited by Acebars; 04-07-2016 at 02:52 AM.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:26 PM
Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts

When you feel the torque of SC all the rest go into shadows and dust. HP just sell cars, but torque wins races (c) not mine.

Old 09-10-2016, 02:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was trying to figure out what lower a arms to use doing s type conversion on 2004 xj8
Have s type shocks & coils withe electrical input on top

Old 09-10-2016, 04:57 PM
Received 369 Likes on 218 Posts

When I really put my foot down and get the engine into higher RPMs, I hear the supercharger in my XJR. But I don't hear it other than that. The sound insulation is excellent. I looked at a XJ8 but ended up with a XJR. The XJ8 would have been fine, but the actual car I looked at had serious paint problems and the guy selling it was an ***. I came across the XJR for hardly any more money and it was a no-brainer once I drove it.

Old 09-11-2016, 03:17 AM
Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Hi as we both live in London you know the traffic situation so any power car will do and on the open road in this country within 6 or 7 seconds from standstill you will be breaking any speed limit in this country or hit the slow coach in the fast lane . Saying all that I would not buy anything but the r version now I have one because on that rare occasion you can open the taps in sports mode then it will put a smile on your face the engines in these cars are really down to personal preference as I said before go test drive I bet you get hooked on the r version

Old 09-15-2016, 06:51 AM
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Love my 2004 XJR, and couldn't imagine not having the power. The supercharger whine is a nice warm sound to me. Fuel economy is 24 typically, mostly highway driving and 20 around town. 400 miles between fueling is a nice feature, beyond what many US cars deliver.

RyeJag

Old 09-17-2016, 02:25 PM
Received 237 Likes on 139 Posts

If you leave the flap on, with the stock baffled intake you will have no issue...

Old 09-17-2016, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts

Originally Posted by viper1996
If you leave the flap on, with the stock baffled intake you will have no issue...
I took the flap out,installed a stage 1 type intake, and run without the engine heat shield.

I only really hear the whine of the SC when under hard acceleration. Still far less noisy than a standard type muscle car many of which cannot keep up.

Old 09-19-2016, 01:54 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

At some point, I really need to drive an XJR or Super V8, to see how much faster they are!

I have been driving my XJ8L in standard mode since I got it. I may have turned on sport mode once or twice, but I doubt I was driving aggressively enough to really see a difference. About a week ago, I had someone riding my bumper very closely. At the first traffic light, I took off with a bit more throttle than needed, and pulled away from him. Once at the speed limit, he caught back up, and was riding my bumper again. At the next light, I decided to try sport mode, and give it more throttle. The acceleration was very impressive, and the guy behind me faded in my rear view. I couldn't believe how fast it accelerated.

If I were to upgrade to an XJR or Super V8, I think I would get myself into trouble!!

Old 09-19-2016, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts

Jaguar 0-60 Times & Jaguar Quarter Mile Times | Jag F-Type, XE, XJ, S-Type, X-Type, XK8, XKR & more 0 to 60 stats!

Have a look at the above site and you will get some idea of "performance" in a straight line.

What I do not know is whether these tests comprise UK or US models or even a mixture.

The reason thats important is that some Jaguar models I believe are "de-tuned" for the US market because of the lack of available high octane fuel.

Old 09-19-2016, 04:11 PM
Received 171 Likes on 141 Posts

I have a 2004 Super V8, it is BONKERS FAST and so much fun in the right place !!

I also have a 2011 3.0 twin turbo Diesel ( in the UK) also very quick, the torque is amazing and it hits 60mph in 6 seconds, not as quick as the Super V8 but also a lot of fun.