XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

XJ8 ABS head scratcher resolved

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 11:15 AM
Received 82 Likes on 54 Posts
Default XJ8 ABS head scratcher resolved

Hi,
Thought I would post this as it may help someone in the future, as ABS could deserve a forum all of its' own.I have just come to the end of a quick XJ8 project that threw a few curve *****. Long story short, bought (1999 XJ8 3.2) with no MOT and an alternator issue causing some 'limp mode' scenarios. Alternator swapped out and all was good,although the battery was swollen so needed replacing also. Put new discs and pads all round and managed to source a pair of hubs with decent bearings to replace the original ones which were well past their sell by date. ABS light and stability control failure were apparent and had been all along....this is where the fun started. I'd bought a couple of new sensors to replace the battered old ones. ABS light and stability control continued to plague us and also ASC came up which made the car kangaroo.We had codes,then no codes,no signal,no wheel speeds even reading the offside as the nearside. I had some spare connector wires which we swapped around to see if the fault (s) moved,no joy, we used a scanner to read wheel speeds individually...but it could't pick up a signal..and so on. The odds of having not just one but two new dodgy sensors seemed a bit of a reach but to silence the doubt in my head I bought another more expensive sensor and put that on one side....The ASC did not come back but the ABS light and the stability control failure did, however now we only had one side throwing an error....and it was the cheap sensor....we swapped them over just to be sure...and the fault went with the cheap sensor... I bought another expensive sensor, put it in and all was great...no codes,faults,lights...
The cheap sensors were meant to be the right spec and for my model as well as others...we don't know why they wouldn't work. Had we not gone down this particular route the search might have been endless,replace the ABS pump,tracing every wire etc etc. Sometimes you can get a bargain with replacement parts and they do a fantastic job for a fraction of the cost...sometimes they don't. Hope this helps...happy to clarify anything if it sounds confusing..if I can.

Attached Thumbnails XJ8 ABS head scratcher resolved-img_2761.jpg   XJ8 ABS head scratcher resolved-img_2762.jpg  
Old 10-19-2016, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Well, Twack, it would help if it was in the right forum !

Your car is the previous model (X308), made up to 2002. This forum is for its successor. Ask a moderator to move your post to the X308 forum

Old 10-19-2016, 01:21 PM

Apologies...didn't read the brackets.Happy for it to be moved if a Moderator can do that or I can copy/delete and re-post.

Old 10-19-2016, 01:33 PM

I have re-posted in the correct forum....if someone can delete this one...that would be great...rookie mistake,sorry.