XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

XJ8 Air Suxpension (again) UK

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2021, 04:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XJ8 Air Suxpension (again) UK

Hi guys

I have a problem with my air suspension (again). Last year i replaced my air compressor with an EBay special, but this failed within 6 months, so i bit the bullet and bought an OEM compressor form Aerosus in Germany, all fitted back in early May and suspension as good as new. Then on Sunday she threw the ‘air suspension fault’ and amber light at me, read the codes and got the usual C2302, levelling plausibility error and the amber light, which disappears with ignition cycle,but then reappears when driving, no leaks found, but all 4 corners have risen to high, rear axle is on tip toes and front is nearly as high, tried to deflate suspension using SDD, fron/rear axle and reservoir, but this didn’t work, still stayed inflated, tried suspension calibration and the compressor worked as it should, SDD asked me to enter each corners ride height, the software stated that calibration had failed and it would return the suspension tom pre-calibration heights, at first I thought car was in transportation mode, but its not. I’m gonna to manually deflate all 4 corners and the reservoir as I’ve fitted valves to the air pies to see if this resets it. Any other ideas please guys?

Old 06-22-2021, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,949 Posts

I think you may have a duff height sensor. This is sending a false height reading (low) so the system tries to raise the car. The ASM tries to keep the car level, so pumps up the other air springs to achieve this but fails.

Old 06-22-2021, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
I think you may have a duff height sensor. This is sending a false height reading (low) so the system tries to raise the car. The ASM tries to keep the car level, so pumps up the other air springs to achieve this but fails.
Thanks Fraser, i think it might be a faulty compressor, as it’s making one hell of a racket now, vibrating the whole car. I will look in to the sensor as well, are the land rover L322 2003-2009 sensors the same, as they look the same on eBay?

Old 06-22-2021, 03:41 PM
Received 231 Likes on 179 Posts

If the compressor is noisy like that, then it's suspicious.

When I rebuilt mine, it was full of water, which caused me to not only to the new piston ring and seal rebuild, but I ordered some new desiccant, disassembled the dryer cylinder of the compressor and cleaned all the surfaces of rust, and cleaned all the orifices. If the air can't vent out the compressor, the struts can't be lowered by the system, which was a symptom I had, the fronts stuck at max height until they eventually leaked down.

Even though you've replaced the compressor, I would be worried about water in the system, affecting the valve bodies in the trunk. (Boot to you... ) I couldn't even begin to tell you how to troubleshoot the valve bodies. After getting my compressor fixed and cleaned, the suspension would always come to height when starting the car, but there were leaks which threw the C2302. The car would sag overnight. Actually, within a couple of hours. I gave up on the air and put on a set of Arnott coilovers, couldn't be happier with the car now.

Everyone says, "Get the air working, you won't regret it! There's nothing like it out there!" Well, my car rides better on the coilovers than it ever did with the air springs, I don't have to wait for it to rise in the morning, and I'm not limited in how far I can drive before it sags and has to be parked. I had simply reached the point with having electrical issues initially (ASM wouldn't power up,) then the compressor issues, then the leaks, and probably water damage in the system, it was far more economical to abandon it.

Old 06-22-2021, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 798 Likes on 670 Posts

Remember that the bore as well as the ring wear out on our compressors.

Found a vender that sells both at an inexpensive price
Have one to sell? Sell now- Have one to sell?

Shop with confidence

eBay Money Back Guarantee
Get the item you ordered or get your money back. Learn more- eBay Money Back Guarantee - opens in new window or tab

Seller information

ykauto001 (399 )
98.7% Positive feedback
Save this Seller
Contact seller
Visit store
See other items

Air Suspension Compressor Repair Kits For W220 W211 A6 C5 A8 XJ8 Pump Cylinder

Condition:
New
Sale ends in:
02d 04h 35m
Quantity:
5 available / 7 sold
Price:
US $19.92
Was:US $24.90 Save 20%
Buy It Now
Add to cart
Best Offer:
Make Offer
Add to Watchlist
1-year accident protection plan from SquareTrade - $5.99
10 minute call for repair assistance with a certified technician - $14.95
Limited quantity remaining
More than 57% sold
Free shipping and returns
Shipping:
FREE Standard Shipping | See details

Item location:
TX, United States

Ships to:
United States See exclusions
Delivery:
Estimated between Wed. Jun. 30 and Thu. Jul. 1
Payments:

Special financing available. | See terms and apply now
Earn up to 5x points when you use your eBay Mastercard®. Learn more
Returns: Free 30 day returns | See details

The following users liked this post:
Petz (06-24-2021)
Old 06-23-2021, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by wfooshee
If the compressor is noisy like that, then it's suspicious.

When I rebuilt mine, it was full of water, which caused me to not only to the new piston ring and seal rebuild, but I ordered some new desiccant, disassembled the dryer cylinder of the compressor and cleaned all the surfaces of rust, and cleaned all the orifices. If the air can't vent out the compressor, the struts can't be lowered by the system, which was a symptom I had, the fronts stuck at max height until they eventually leaked down.

Even though you've replaced the compressor, I would be worried about water in the system, affecting the valve bodies in the trunk. (Boot to you... ) I couldn't even begin to tell you how to troubleshoot the valve bodies. After getting my compressor fixed and cleaned, the suspension would always come to height when starting the car, but there were leaks which threw the C2302. The car would sag overnight. Actually, within a couple of hours. I gave up on the air and put on a set of Arnott coilovers, couldn't be happier with the car now.

Everyone says, "Get the air working, you won't regret it! There's nothing like it out there!" Well, my car rides better on the coilovers than it ever did with the air springs, I don't have to wait for it to rise in the morning, and I'm not limited in how far I can drive before it sags and has to be parked. I had simply reached the point with having electrical issues initially (ASM wouldn't power up,) then the compressor issues, then the leaks, and probably water damage in the system, it was far more economical to abandon it.
That’s the main problem, it doesn’t vent now, hence why the rear is at full height, i even tried to deflate the whole system via the SDD software with no luck, how do you get all the water (if there is any) out of the suspension system?

Old 06-23-2021, 03:57 PM

I don't know of a procedure for getting the water out. Getting the water out depends completely on the desiccant in the compressor. As air vents out and is replaced with dry air from a working, reconditioned compressor, the water theoretically eventually circulates out. Who know how much collects in the bottom of the pressure tank, in the valve bodies, in the struts themselves? Of course, water that gets to those places pools at the bottom, and the only way it gets out is by evaporating and being removed with vented air. Eventually, dried air replaces the wet air, but I would imagine this takes... a long time.

In my pump, the vent valve was completely blocked with crud, and the plates in the dryer cylinder, where the desiccant lives, were very rusty. A thorough cleaning of all that, in addition to the new piston ring, got the system working, or I thought so at first. Like I said, sagging overnight, slow to come up, C2302 all the time, I just called it quits and suspended my car with steel, the way God intended.

Old 06-26-2021, 11:00 AM

The saga continues, i now think its the compressor exhaust solenoid that’s buggered, as i don’t near it venting anymore and it keeps throwing up the same code every time now C270, which means the suspension is in the transportation mode, i keep resetting it back to customer mode, then when i run the calibration programs it throws the code again and keeps all 4 corners at their max heights, i waiting for the company i bought the compressor from to process my return request and send out a replacement, but that could take a week or 2 as they’re in Germany and she’s in driveable as she bunches all over the place,can’tsee how the compressor and or exhaust solenoid could fail in only 6 weeks.

The 4 sensor readings are as follows;

Front Left 31mm
Front Right 35mm
Rear Left 3mm
Rear Right 1mm

Old 06-29-2021, 01:44 PM

Those are not maxed-out height readings!! If the car is at max height and that's the readings you have, then your height sensors are lying. Max height is in the 70s or 80s millimeter range.

Old 06-29-2021, 02:42 PM

Those are not maxed-out height readings!! If the car is at max height and that's the readings you have, then your height sensors are lying. Max height is in the 70s or 80s millimeter range.
So what you’re saying is that if the rears were high (which they really are), then the readings should be in double figures then, like the front sensors?

Old 06-30-2021, 08:14 AM

Not only double figures, but at least twice the number you're seeing on the fronts.

Old 06-30-2021, 01:16 PM

Not only double figures, but at least twice the number you're seeing on the fronts.
Oh, ok, well the rears are definitely very high, as i can get 1 & half hands in between the tyre and wheel arch (same as you measure a horse). Any ideas what an approx figure would be for the rears and would a minus figure mean too low? Funny thing is, the original problem started after I changed the rear brake pads, I’ll check the rear sensors over tge next few days.

Old 06-30-2021, 05:12 PM

I think 0 is "correct" ride height. Negative is a low car. The numbers are millimeters. If I remember correctly, when my fronts pegged at max height, I was seeing 75 or 78 mm from the height sensors.

The following users liked this post:
Fitzy (06-30-2021)
Old 07-09-2021, 01:33 PM

I think 0 is "correct" ride height. Negative is a low car. The numbers are millimeters. If I remember correctly, when my fronts pegged at max height, I was seeing 75 or 78 mm from the height sensors.
So I’ve fitted my replacement compressor and the rears are still quite high and a very squishy bouncy ride at the rear, sensors now read -2mm on both rears, despite being very high, does anyone have any pictures of their rear height sensors in situ,so i can compare with mine? The lever on the sensor on mine is still pointing down wards, but I don’t know if that’s right or wrong.

If the sensor arm points downward, does that make the module think its low and raise it and vice versa if it points upwards?

Old 07-11-2021, 01:09 PM

I think I might know what my suspension problem might be.

A while back before my air compressor went **** up, i managed to get through to he end of the calibration programme whereit asked for the 4 corners heights, i pit these in as the factory standard of 386mm fronts & 373mm rears and not what they actually were at that point in time, so I think that the suspension module now has the incorrect height figures and as I can’t get to this point again running the calibration program, i can’t change these values, every time i run the calibration program, it defaults to ‘transportation mode’ C2780, even when i run the deflation program, the rears wont go any lower than 410/420mm and the fronts no lower than 360mm, when they should be on their respective bump stops, i disconnected the battery over night and touched the cables together, as i read on here that this should clear the ASM’s memory, but this didn’t work, as the suspension keeps defaulting back in to transportation mode as the calibration program starts and the compressor just keeps starting and I’ve let this run for over 30 minutes, when it shouldn’t take no longer than 10 minutes.

I have looked in v160, but programming a new ASM is I need of the available options, so does anyone know how to flash the ASM with v160? I also have WDS 118.5 and SDD v’s 130,138, 149, 159.

Last edited by Fitzy; 07-11-2021 at 01:13 PM.
Old 07-11-2021, 05:49 PM

I’ve found where to program the ASM/ASU in v160, its in the diagnosis ‘extra’s’ section, but it only says to program a ‘new’ module, is this what I need to do, program as a new module?

Old 07-15-2021, 04:27 PM

I seem to have solved my suspension fault/problem. Tuesday afternoon i made the choice to configure the ASM as a ‘new’ module, program started, followed the on screen instructions, then it decided to do the calibration, bo@@ockx, the same air suspension fault message appeared 🤬, then within 10/15 seconds it disappeared 😁 and it got to the part where it asks for all 4 corner heights, so i entered the measured heights, it ran the compressor some more and asked for the heights again, they were all within 5mm of the standard heights of 386mm front & 373mm rear, it continued, but then i got the message “module configuration has failed” 🤬, but even though it had failed to complete, it has fixed the fault/error and has been ok since, so ‘touch wood’, this is cured. 😁😁😁