XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

XJ8 Expected Life Expectancy?...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 06:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts
Default RE: XJ8 Expected Life Expectancy?...

When it comes to expensive cars with pedigree like Jaguars or Mercedes, the old saying "if you have to ask how much, you can't afford it" applies. These cars are well built and engineered, but when they break it is astoundingly expensive. If you can do your own work, you can save significant money, but that's it. Jaguars appeal for all kinds of reasons, but low repair costs are not one of them. Road and Track finds consistently that these cars are some of the most expensive to own there are. Their last XK8 ran $0.92/mile. If you are ready for that, come join us, the costs are part of the cache. In my mind, Japanese cars are "units", I would rather pay and complain than have something like that.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

I think you will find that the Jaguar is as reliable as any hi-end car, but the normal maintenence should be done to boost it's reliability. Transmission is a ZF (in some cases a Mercedes trans) so it would be as reliable in a Jaguar as in any other car with a ZF transmission. I take my 01 to an independant mechanic that has been in business for over 45 years and have had great success with them. They also do the work on my older Rolls Royce and you can't imagine the savings there as compaired to a Rolls Royce dealer! My 04 is just out of the standard warranty and will go the independent shop unless the "certified warranty" covers the repair.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:53 PM
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Well, I can't speak for the last poster, but IMHO it has to be the XJ8 ('04 or newer)! I have owned many Jaguars over the years including a 4.0XJ6, a '00 S-type 4.0 Sport, another 4.0 S-type 4.0, an X-type 3.0 and now an '04 XJ8 4.2.

Without a doubt the XJ8 is the best car I have ever owned. It is smooth, light, powerful, economic and a real joy to drive. The whole car is very well put together, and on the highway I get over 31MPG, and over the last 2000 miles I have managed 23.7 MPG at 36MPH average, not bad for a 4.3 V8. The XJ air suspension is wonderful, the AJ8 engine is powerful and smooth, the 6-speed auto gearbox is also fantastic! I have driven an 04 S-type R which was also very fast, but I would have an XJR any day of the week. Also the residuals are terrible, meaning if you are looking at a used car, there are some great bargains to be found. I bought a loaded XJ8 with 31K miles, Nav, Xenon, voice guidance,premium sound, factory 'phone for $21.5K 4 months ago.

-Tim

Old 08-17-2008, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

I will agree with 'timfountain' on the car to consider. Everyone has their on opinion on style, size, motor, etc. The 04+ XJ8 is a beautiful car and drives like a dream. The standard 4.2L engine has plenty of power with great MPG. If you don't race it from light to light in the city, you can average <> 24MPG. I get 30+ MPG highway with cruise set at 75. If you are one of the power junkies the XJR is a consideration, but at some MPG loss. One thing I have learned is not to do too much to change the systems that effect the computer controls and sensors. A little bling is fine to personalize it, but start changing operating parts and the computer will not like it. I have heard complaints that these cars don't hold their value, but as a buyer this is a good thing. These are great cars to buy used with low miles and keep them at least 4+ years. My 2 cents worth.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

There's been several 04's with 90-100K miles on them for sale that look in great shape. None of them state "new motor or trans", so the original must be working at some level.

I would like to see a newer LS Lexus with 200K on it... There will be plenty or repair bills to get the Lexus that high mileage.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:25 AM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My old 01' ML55 AMG had 118k miles when I sold it like a month ago, the only parts I had to replace were power steering pump and rack and pinion. Other then car was flawless. Im sure XJ8 can make it 100k without any major problems.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member

ORIGINAL: Hackman

And, I don't know that I'd agree with you regarding plenty of repair bills to get a Lexus to 200k. The engines and transmissions are bullet-proof. You just don't hear about problems with them (except, of course,for the ES300 engine-design debacle). But, with a Lexus, it's the little crap that kills you... little cheap switches breaking, LCD screens going bad, illuminated needles going out, etc. It's like they concentrated on the really big things but forgot about the little stuff.
Whether it's nickel & dimes, 20's and 50's; having to go to dealer is no fun.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:59 PM
Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

I got my XJ8a few months ago and I'm in love with it. For me it took some getting used to - the cabin looked too small in the beginning, but now I find it quite comfortable. The only complaint I have is that I have to bump my right knee in the keys every once in a while.

The carjust crossed the 80k mark and some small things are starting to show (DSC light from time to time). Going to the dealers is no fun at all for me, but small independent shops just don't have the equipment to properly diagnose the car - it has quite complex computer system. Also dealer service vary from dealer to dealer (in my case more than double the price), so spend some time and find a "good" dealer.

If you are lucky and there are some independent shops in your area that specialize in jaguar repair you can also give them a try.

Best of luck,
Venelin

Old 08-22-2008, 07:49 AM
Veteran Member

I need some front brake work that I'll bring to my independent Jaguar repair shop. I am going to order the rotors and pads online. I want to change my tranny fluid at 60K, but want to make sure I get the right fluid without the Jag dealer pricing.

There's two issues I have to bring the car to the dealer for, but I am under extended warranty.

All the horror stories with Jaguar dealers in Mass. just have me scared!

Old 08-22-2008, 04:58 PM
Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Not all dealers are bad, same as any mechanic shop - you need to find a good one.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our '04 XJ8 now has 110K miles, and has been quite reliable. Our other cars are a '99 Mercedes CLK 320 and a '97 Porsche 911 Carrera. While we clearly like German cars (the Jag replaced a '95 BMW 740iL...a fabulous car), the Jag has impressed us as a formidable competitor to Japan's and Germany's best. In terms of handling andgeneral steering/braking "feel", it is more Lexus-like than German-like.FYI-as daily drivers, I prefer our Mercedes and mywife prefers the Jag. Plus she andI agree on the Jag's one weakness; i.e., on long trips, the Jag seats are simply not comfortable.