XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

XJ8 no start and partial remedy

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 12:37 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default XJ8 no start and partial remedy

Problem: In a two-year period, twice my 2006 XJ8 wouldn't start. Each time "repaired" under warranty, with a big hassle and embarrassing as neighbors watch it hauled to dealer. Service tech says engine flooded, oil washed off cylinder walls, and mechanic sprayed oil into engine to recoat walls. What?

Just happened a third time, and still under warranty until next month. I'm mad and since the manufacturer can't fix the product they created I must try to do it myself.

Start Engine: Remove the top and passenger side engine covers, exposing spark plug coils. Found I needed a 5/8 deep spark plug socket, so had to make a run to the parts store. Spark plug was installed very tight, and upon removal found it was coated with gasoline, yes the engine was flooded. Used a very long straw to suck up oil out of a quart bottle, put my thumb over the end to keep it from running out, inserted into the forward passenger side cylinder, and let out the oil.

First cranked the engine for 15 seconds with the pedal to the floor to help clear out the gasoline. Then tried to start with the gas pedal up and it sounded a bit different, but wouldn't start. Repeated process in the next aft cylinder but two long straws worth of oil, now almost starts. Repeated in the next aft cylinder, but four long straws of oil. Crank engine and it begins barely firing. Let the starter cool to not burn it out. Crank and crank and it finally starts. Slowly drive out of garage as it is being filled with oily smoke from the exhaust.

Prevention: The three fails to start happened after the vehicle had been started, moved a short distance, shut down, then started and shut down again after being moved just a short distance.

Apparently when not allowed to fully warm up, a large amount of fuel is left in the intake manifold and cylinders, this washes the oil off the cylinder walls, which then make little compression and the motor will not start. But it hasn't happened with one short engine run, it only happened with two in a row. So to avoid being stranded never twice start then turn off the engine without it being fully warmed up. In fact I won't even one time start and not allow it to warm up.

Severe Criticism: Any modern vehicle should be able to be run a short period of time an unlimited amount of cycles without any problems. Jaguar, Ford, and now Tata engineers and managers surely know their product fails this and can leave a customer stranded, and yet apparently they do nothing to fix it and protect their customer.

Remedy: This is a prime example of where a class action lawsuit is needed. An automobile that will not start under routine conditions is a dangerous product. A manufacturer who knowingly released a dangerous product on the public is liable for damages.

The following users liked this post:
meirion1 (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 07:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

Just stop runnign the engine for a short time. It is annoying and is a software issue but no one is fixing it in cars that are almost 10 yesrs old. I just got over it and run the car for at least 5 minutes any time I turn it on..solves the problem.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

This sounds like classical 'bore wash' but isn't yours a 2006?
(NAG ON - do put your car details in your signature User CP> edit signature NAG OFF)

Old 01-17-2013, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

This non-start following a previous very short start-stop cycle was common on the X308 cars, (the previous model), but this is the first post I've read on it happening to an X350. Interested to see you have determined it is caused by two successive short cycles, but as I have done this a couple of times with the V6 petrol engine in my car without trouble, it sounds like something further is amiss.