XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

XJ8 Owners - Jaguar Design Direction

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 03:33 PM
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts
Default XJ8 Owners - Jaguar Design Direction

Hi. I am a new member to the forum so I apologize if this thread has previously been posted.

Curious to know from current XJ8 / XJ6 owners like myself what they think about new Jaguar design direction (specifically the new XJ).

I have always liked the long flowing lines and classic look of the XJ's, including the interiors. I've seen the new XJ model at the local Jag dealership and the car is very nice; but am still on the fence about the new look.

Regards - Michael
(2006 Vanden Plas - Winter Gold)

Old 11-13-2010, 04:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They look a lot like everything else. Nothing "Jaguar" about them. XK is a clone. XF looks like a Volvo. XJ looks uninteresting. I hope my 2008 XJR stays healthy until they get new design management.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:31 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

BrownRobin,

The same person that designed our cars is the same person that designed the 2011 XJ.

Mat

Old 11-14-2010, 06:22 AM
ud
Received 148 Likes on 75 Posts

I've not yet "bought in" to the new designs of the XF and XJ either, but it usually takes me a while. For example, I didn't much care for the XK8/R in 1997, but now I just love the look...and own one too. But, as time has gone on, I am taking more and more time to adapt to these new looks.

I still would rather have my XK8 over the newer XK and it's been a number of years now. Same with the XF/XJ. I don't see myself owning one...but maybe (hopefully) that will change.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:34 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I find the new XF and XK uninteresting as well. Everytime I see an XF I have the same "what kinda car is that" reaction opposed to the "hey nice Jag" reaction I am used to having.

I really really dislike the new XJ. I find the rear end of that thing "butt ugly", pun intended. Maybe I will come around some day but it seems unlikely, and since I can't afford one its all good.

Old 11-14-2010, 03:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great thread. I hope Jag designers monitor sites such as this. I, too, am NOT a fan of the new body styles. I want a SEDAN. I want a CLASSIC look. I can only pray that the direction has changed before my next purchase. Hey Jaguar - don't follow the herd! Stay true to your classic car roots.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:02 PM
ud

Interestingly, ever since the XF came out, which was probably one of the more radical departures from traditional Jaguar looks in some time, there has been controversy about appeal. One strong correlation with appeal of the "new look" appears to be age. It would be an interesting poll, if it can be set up, to test that correlation.

If the statistic IS accurate...well, then I guess I personally add to the validation.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 484 Likes on 405 Posts

I certainly hated the new XJ design when it came out. But after seeing a black on black one in person, I have changed my mind. It's daring and edgy, and just what Jaguar needs to stay relevant. Jaguar could only continue making so-so cars (not just aesthetically, either) for so long...

Old 11-14-2010, 04:58 PM
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts

Great comments and agree with Steve11. Would indeed be an interesting poll. Seems to be a very polarizing design. Kind of like when BMW introduced the re-designed 7-Series a few years ago with the "Bengal butt". A very radical design of the rear end that since has been somewhat tweaked and smoothed out. Will be interesting to see if Jaguar also does some tweaking or continues full throttle with the new design direction.

There is something lean, athletic, classic, and delicate about the traditional XJ8 / XJ6 / XJ40 / etc. body lines that I feel that jaguar needs to remain true to. To me, these key design elements are lean and low body stance, long bonnet hood as well as long rear deck that accentuate the body line. I think the new XJ deck lids appear too stubby hatchback-ish.

- Michael

Old 11-14-2010, 08:09 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Interesting comments no doubt, but you also have to look at it from the point of view of Jaguar. Their sales were pitiful in the last years of the X350 summing up less than 12,000 sales. Jaguar was in desperate need of something fresh, because the only people that were really buying Jags, were Jaguar faithfuls.

Sir William Lyons, Jaguars founder, wanted Jaguars to be fast, modern, sports saloons/cars. Modern is a key word there. We view Jaguars as having "classic" lines not modern. That is until recently. I think this is the right direction for Jaguar to be taking. It retains some of those classic lines which are distinctively Jaguar, without looking dated or "old fashioned". Lines such as the torpedo shape that the cars have always had. Now its not going to be as obvious as it would on say a SIII XJ, but moder safety standards have changed as well. The grille is distinctively Jaguar (think series I XJ with softer corners).

Jaguar is in a constant struggle with Audi, Mercedes and BMW. Now I would never want Jaguar to become a cookie cutter car like the German cars, but they do need to sell more in order to stay afloat. They needed a look to tempt people out of their modern BMW's and Audis.

I think Ian Callum is the best designer Jaguar has had since Sir William Lyons himself. The XK (which doesnt look too Aston-ish at all) is a fantastic grand tourer, the XF is a tremendous car with lines that the Jaguar faithfuls will love, as well as tempt a few people away from German cars; now the XJ is the best of the bunch. Ian wasnt afraid to take a few risks with the design, because right now its sink or swim. The taillights suit the car (especially in person) and the blacked out C-pillars is a new take on something which almost every SUV has.

The looks of a car will always be subjective, but we are the Jaguar faithfuls here. Maybe the looks will take some getting used to, but Im personally glad that Jaguar has finally found the stones to design a car that isn't solely reminiscent of the cars from Jaguars heyday. They are keeping the classic features that we all know and love, but they are a little more subtle and much more modern.

Just food for thought

Old 11-15-2010, 06:07 AM
ud

Alex - Yep, I agree with everything you've said...well said.

Jaguars have been an interesting dichotomy. I think they're the most unique looking cars on the road, but partly because they're rare. Of course the rare part means that not many are made. That keeps up and they could disappear. I don't think they would appeal to me nearly as much if I saw myself on the road all the time, which happened when I've owned BMWs and MBs.

I've owned all kinds of European cars and describe those experiences as "ownership". Jaguars, however, really move me. I currently own 3 (and one BMW Z3), which is probably a statement in itself, that I just cannot part with them.

Back to the new designs, I feel less "moved" by the new designs because they look more like lots of other car designs, but I still need time as I believe the same phenomenon is occurring...low production numbers which will result in the rare factor which I find so appealing.

Last edited by steve11; 11-16-2010 at 06:31 AM.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:49 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the rarity is something that we all appreciate, knowing that we dont have another cookie-cutter car!

And the looks are always jaw droppingly beautiful!

Old 11-16-2010, 09:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was pretty stunned by the new XJ when it first appeared, but there's no denying it's a beautiful car in and out. I agree it's not classic Jaguar, but look at the complaints when my version came out - everyone said it was too MUCH like the previous generation. Sometimes change is good, but not when it's just for the sake of change, such as the Bangle-ized '02 7 series.....

Old 11-21-2010, 05:56 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well beauty is certainly an individual thing. Personally I do not care for the new XJ. My 2000 XJ8 was FAR more attractive than my 2007 XJ8, but the 07 is a much superior car. Unfortunately (only unfortunate for this discussion), I am 6'5" tall, and despite being a stunningly beautiful car, the X300 just barely fit me. I really enjoy the additional room all the way around in the X350, and the better fuel mileage ain't bad either, but if I was a little shorter, I would have found a nice 2003 and stuck with the X300 instead of this bulbous X350.

I do not know what the future holds for Jag - I hope they find a new generation of owners - but the current styling trends don't excite me.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:57 PM
DB6
ud
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I think it was time for a change, you can only do so much retro/classic .
I will tell you one thing, the car looks stunning in the flesh.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 484 Likes on 405 Posts

Now that I own an X350, I have to say, it REALLY needed a new design. Although it looks great from most viewpoints, from certain angles it can look a little bit awkward. It is still very distinctive, though, and it looks much fresher than the X300 (and I think better).