XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

XJ8 Wheels - Wheel Cap Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 03:08 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default XJ8 Wheels - Wheel Cap Opinions

Hi all-
So I’m into my second week of owning my XJ8 and so far so good. Its in excellent condition aesthetically and mechanically. Now I’m looking at changing some of the things that either bug me or need to be changed. I don’t know how I feel about the chrome wheels it came with. After reading thread after thread of this forum I’m really liking the more "muted" gray wheels some of you guys have and am considering changing them. Wondering what you’re thoughts are on changing the wheels as well. I’ve read thru H2Oboys thread and it looks like he had what I have now and honestly, that’s what making me consider changing them.

Also, until i decide I definitely need to change the Jaguar wheel caps, they’re pretty much faded. I see that they’re easily available online but am wondering what the correct color is? The ones on there now are green and that match the center logo on the steering wheel and i kinda like it, but wondering what you’re thoughts are as well.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails XJ8 Wheels - Wheel Cap Opinions-wheel.jpg  
Old 08-16-2013, 03:39 PM
Received 104 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Caps

Originally Posted by Jorge526
Hi all-
So I’m into my second week of owning my XJ8 and so far so good. Its in excellent condition aesthetically and mechanically. Now I’m looking at changing some of the things that either bug me or need to be changed. I don’t know how I feel about the chrome wheels it came with. After reading thread after thread of this forum I’m really liking the more "muted" gray wheels some of you guys have and am considering changing them. Wondering what you’re thoughts are on changing the wheels as well. I’ve read thru H2Oboys thread and it looks like he had what I have now and honestly, that’s what making me consider changing them.

Also, until i decide I definitely need to change the Jaguar wheel caps, they’re pretty much faded. I see that they’re easily available online but am wondering what the correct color is? The ones on there now are green and that match the center logo on the steering wheel and i kinda like it, but wondering what you’re thoughts are as well.

Thanks!
Chrome is good, but 20" of wheel is always going to be better. Personal opinion of course

I've just fitted some of the new F-Type caps on my XJ. Purchased from ebay.

20" Polished Orona's

Attached Thumbnails XJ8 Wheels - Wheel Cap Opinions-004_zpscd8eb164.jpg   XJ8 Wheels - Wheel Cap Opinions-013-1.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Jorge526 (08-16-2013)
Old 08-16-2013, 06:36 PM
doc
Received 202 Likes on 169 Posts

You could always just get the chrome removed and the wheels powder-coated or sprayed in 2 pack

I only ever replace wheels if they have hubcaps if the car has mags/alloys I usually just get them refurbished

On a Merc I once owned it had chromed wheels the chrome was also blistering and overall looked rubbish everyone was saying get new wheels

I took them to a shop where the guy spun them up on a lathe then acid dipped them and powedercoated them in a silver gray with a pearl clear over the top

Never stopped getting approving comments some of my mates that had previously said get new wheels thought I actually did get new wheels till I told them

Not to mention when the wheels where put on the lathe they where slightly out of round car drove like new when I put them back on

I did do all this though when it needed new tyres my philosophy is I am only pulling the tyres of once

Refurbishing the wheels cost $600 and new tyre's about the same just a thought

Old 08-16-2013, 08:14 PM
Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

I like the chromes on your car and against the grey, I am thinking it is striking. My earlier car (seafrost) had the green centers originally. I went to black centers on that one and was happy with it.

Now I have a black car and I have went to red caps. I think that the red makes the chrome 'pop'. I believe that the red caps generally are on the supercharged cars and I think that it would work with the grey exterior of yours.

Just curious, what color is your interior?

I like Beavis' FType caps, too. Might need to investigate getting a set.

Thanks-
mag

Attached Thumbnails XJ8 Wheels - Wheel Cap Opinions-img_0666-small-.jpg   XJ8 Wheels - Wheel Cap Opinions-img_0612-small-.jpg  
Old 08-17-2013, 03:14 AM
Received 104 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by magmedia
I like the chromes on your car and against the grey, I am thinking it is striking. My earlier car (seafrost) had the green centers originally. I went to black centers on that one and was happy with it.

Now I have a black car and I have went to red caps. I think that the red makes the chrome 'pop'. I believe that the red caps generally are on the supercharged cars and I think that it would work with the grey exterior of yours.

Just curious, what color is your interior?

I like Beavis' FType caps, too. Might need to investigate getting a set.

Thanks-
mag
Magmedia - Agree, the polished or chromes look good on a darker car, as mine is soon to be.

If your interested, these are the F-Type caps. They are the only one's I could find on ebay and genuine Jag ones too.
SET LATEST GENUINE JAGUAR NEW STYLE RED WHEEL CENTER CAPS BADGES FIT ALL MODELS | eBay

Old 08-17-2013, 05:27 AM
Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Beavis
Magmedia - Agree, the polished or chromes look good on a darker car, as mine is soon to be.

If your interested, these are the F-Type caps. They are the only one's I could find on ebay and genuine Jag ones too.
SET LATEST GENUINE JAGUAR NEW STYLE RED WHEEL CENTER CAPS BADGES FIT ALL MODELS | eBay
Thanks for the link

Old 08-17-2013, 08:13 AM

Really digging the red caps. @magmedia, my XJ8 has a light gray ( think its called dove? ) interior. Ah man, decisions decisions.

Old 08-17-2013, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

Not many of these about. I bought them from Eurojag Uk.

$15 each!

Attached Images  
Old 08-18-2013, 12:09 PM
Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

IMO wheelcaps that match the bodypaint are OK, e.g. BRG; otherwise black or the grey ones. I have seen grey ones that look like they are alloy castings with a growler in relief.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:47 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my 20" Sepang Wheels!!! I currently have the green growler center caps. I put in an order for silver ones which I should be receiving today. I can post more photos once I get them in.

Attached Thumbnails XJ8 Wheels - Wheel Cap Opinions-car.jpg  
Old 08-19-2013, 07:19 PM
doc
Received 202 Likes on 169 Posts

My XJR6 came with red caps one day while washing the car in bright sunlight I noticed all the badges on the car where actually green
The car is Sapphire blue metallic so I replaced the centre caps when I had the wheels refurbished
I put green caps on the car looks great the red ones where more obvious than the green but as the badges where green I figured just match the badges

Old 08-20-2013, 06:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 224 Posts

Just wondering what mine, Botanical Green, would look like with red caps ... or maybe green ? (Standard black at the mo'). A bit of tinkering with a photo and Photoshop is in order, I think.

It has occurred to me to put red ones on the LHS and green ones on the R ... and see if anyone notices, and then ... knows why

Old 08-22-2013, 07:55 PM

@meirion1 I saw your post after I ordered a set on EBay, love the growler engraved (?) on those caps! I ended up ordering my set in BRG, liked the contrast and how it matches the growler on the steering wheel.

Attached Thumbnails XJ8 Wheels - Wheel Cap Opinions-image.jpg