XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

xjr Brake job-Holy crud...Tips and advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts
Default xjr Brake job-Holy crud...Tips and advice

Well just to note autozone has super DOT brake fluid at about 13 a bottle.

Now when I tell you the front rotors and pads took literally 30 min total to do I'm not kidding. It was a cake walk with no special instructions needed. The only advice id give is to crack the bleeder and use a screwdriver to compress the pistons while still on the car. It makes life easy and you aren't worried bout damaging the brake pads...I didn't damage mine however they were ready to go.

NOW THE REARS...Simple enough right? WELL here are some thinsg to watch out for

1) The tool you rent at autozone or pepboys wont work. The smallest adapter just isn't small enough. Make sure you have the correct one. Now I used a pair of pliers to do mine. do not use a c clamp and the piston needs to rotate clockwise. So this was issue one. Not a huge one but worth mentioning because youll be left high and dry without

2) I didn't disconnect my battery as I didn't want to reset everything as I'm up for inspection very shortly. So I just made sure the parking brake was disengaged and left the key in the on position with door open. was listening to radio anyways....Likely a better way of doing this but like I said disconnecting the battery wasn't an option.

3) Make sure you get parking brake pads. One side of mine was Iffy..Will need to get back to that

4) MAKE SURE YOU HAVE PBLAST AND A MAP GAS TORCH!!!...Seriously. I have never had such an issue pulling a rotor off. Fortunately if you are just changing pads its piece or cake. Not so pulling off the rotors. Spray the studs center section and hub. Let it sit for at least 1/2 hour. HEAT the heck out of the hat of the rotor. Spray again...once it cools down..Dont worry it wont burst into flames. Now I don't have a photo however there is an aluminum tab in the back of the hub knuckle. I don't have a photo of it but maybe someone else does. Use a wedge or a pry bar and knock it in between the tab and the rotor. Likely it will not budge just yet. Start heating the hat again. Once nice and hot start tapping the rotor hat with a hammer. It will eventually pop. DONE

Now I smeared a bit of anti seize to the back of the rotor hat to maybe prevent this from happening again. Ive never had such a hard time pulling a rotor before. Before heating it I could not get it. EVen after heating. Wasnt until I heated it and used a prybar at that tab did it pop...Both of them.

Hope this may help some one in the future....Now I read somewhere about removing that parking brake fault message. Otherwise. ITS DONE..errgh...Jaguars...

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (11-09-2015)