XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

XJR Buyers guide

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 05:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question XJR Buyers guide

Hello all. A new member here looking for advice on buying a used X350 XJR as I want a taste of home sat on my driveway over here (I'm a Brit expat in Chicago). I've test driven a couple and liked them a lot so thought I'd sign up here for some insider knowledge.

Anyway, I have some questions on used XJR's that hopefully you guys will be able to help me with.

From what I can ascertain, things to get done/check on are:

Look forward to any advice you can offer.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:22 AM
                        Veteran Member
                        Received 2,451 Likes on 1,949 Posts

That is not a bad list of possible issues.
                        • a trans fluid/filter change before 100k miles. Probably a wise thing to do, but not absolutely essential
                        • Change the radiator expansion tank ASAP. check integrity of the pipe nipple that breaks off - see other posts, but I believe this could be a case of movement of the pipe connected to the tank eventually causes the pipe connection to break off from fatigue, not plastics failure.
                        • Look for corrosion on the front edge of the boot/trunk lid. The favorite place, plus creepout from above the rear chrome piece on the trunk lid. Cut off lip on lower screen seal so it no longer contacts the trunk lid lowerside.
                        • Any other corrosion prone areas to look for? I'm looking at Chicago cars and there seems to be a bit of bad rep on here for them due to corrosion. Is this actually the case in relation to other Marques or just an internet tale? Bottoms of door corners at rear another possible, and also creep out from rear screen seal by the D-posts. This is all filiform corrosion and not a structural integrity thing, it just aint nice to look at !! Aluminium Audis also suffer, (A8 and A2, and probably the new TT)
                        • Belt tensioner/squeaky belts. higher miles cars probably will need a new tensioner as the roller bearings wear out.
                        • Suspension Airbag leaks and failing compressor. Compressor is the main short life component. Not too expensive to replace - think of it as similar to replacing brake pads and discs, then it doesnt seem too bad. Others seem to have had air spring leaks on the front spring units, but almost no posts on this on the UK site, or anything in the UK club magazines, so I am puzzled why this gets so much attention in the US. The air spring units cost a lot because they combine the spring and the shock into a single unit, and whilst the air spring diaphragm cane be replaced as Arnott Industries have done, it is not possible to separately replace the shock. There are now repacement new Arnott units both air and coil spring substitute for air.
                        • Rear suspension bush wear A definite issue with the lower wishbones. Cars with large diameter wheels and skinny tyres, are probably worst for this as high-frequency road shocks are not absorbed by the tyres. Had this on my car.

It has been a serious issue because of the prices Jaguar has charged for replacements. Nowadays you can go on the internet and buy for less than half the Jaguar price.

The lower air spring unit bushes are also short life, but cheap to buy, (around £20 each). Four in total, 2 front on the wishbone, and 2 rear at the bottom of the spring unit. Its not surprising they wear out as they take the weight of the car ! Rears seem to wear quicker than the fronts.
                        • Any particular electrical gremlins to look out for? In my case a failing driver door latch - not a cheap item. Look at other posts to get a feel for this.
                          The earths (US=grounds) behind the headlamps on the front radiator mount can corrode and cause all manner of electrical gremlins and faults. Inpsection requires removal of the front plastic cover above the radiator.
                        • What else do I need to be aware of? Servicing and maintenance is for an expensive up-market car, so comparably expensive, (although annual service costs are not too bad).
                          Parts prices reflect the new car price, (although there are now many internet suppliers). Experienced and recommended Jaguar independent shops probably best if you have to watch the pennies (or cents). DIY quite possible for a lot of jobs.

The following users liked this post:
                        JimC64 (02-20-2012)
                        Old 02-20-2012, 02:04 PM
                        Veteran Member
                        Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Air suspension is the biggest area for concern I think due to cost. Bushings wear out and aren't so expensive. Sure, change all the fluids, probably run you about $600-700, but piece of mind for sure. Don't have to do all them at once.

Go for 2005+ model year and look for a Super V8 over the XJR.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:38 PM
                        Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Hmm, why the recommendation for Super 8 over XJR? I'm in the market for a 2006, and although the rear seat/legroom is better in the Super 8, (which won't get used a lot in my car), what else is a significient upgrade over the XJR? Ride quality? Materials? What?

Old 02-22-2012, 04:43 PM
                        Veteran Member

Super V8 is a perfect harmony of elegance of the VDP and performance of the XJR. It's everything Jag has to offer all rolled up into one.

VDP doesn't have the performance, but has the luxury and nice touches.

XJR has the performance, but lacks refinement inside and out of the VDP.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:10 PM
                        Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

OTOH, I think the short-wheelbase has a better visual proportion.

I am in the minority on this though!

Old 02-22-2012, 06:34 PM
                        Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I think you can also add in front suspension arm and anti-roll bar bushes as well, and throttle body failure as items to look out for.

In the tropics, pretty much all Jaguar rubber stuff seem to develop more problems than in temperate locations, so radiator hoses and the like start to give problems at the 5 year mark.

Then there's the problem of the 2 piece Jaguar wheel lug nuts that get damaged by tyre shops that use air tools, making the owner think that his wheel studs have stripped out when in many cases it's the lug nut that has been damaged.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:05 PM

Some good information coming out here guys

Super V8 is probably beyond what I'm looking to spend and the XJR's seem like better value and more car for your money.

So why the recommendation for the 2005+ model year. Were there significant alterations and improvements made under the radar by Jaguar? Are earlier cars known to be more problematic or are they likely all sorted by now?

Of the problems Fraser mentioned, they're all pretty easy to spot which is good, however less so for the suspension faults, which as I'm looking at US cars is important.

What are the quick tell tales to look for on a test drive when it comes to suspension leaks? The car being on it's knees is an obvious one but by that point it's well shot. Any subtle things to look or listen for like a noisy compressor, hissing airbags etc.

Also without getting the car up on a ramp and putting a pry-bar on the suspension parts to check the bushes, any giveaways whilst driving it? Any particular clonks or thuds to listen for, and under what circumstances? Accelerating, braking, bumps etc? Are cars with the standard 19" wheels (which I prefer as it adds to the stealth ) known to be better for this?

Old 02-23-2012, 08:22 PM
                        Received 309 Likes on 114 Posts
                        Default Go to the north-shore for Jaguars when in Chicago

You are lucky. If you are looking for 04 to 08's XJR's I would recommend Imperial Jaguar in Wilmette and Lake Bluff. I happened to check out the inventory for fun driving by last week end. They had a large selection.

I drove sixty miles from Wisconsin for Jaguars because they are very rare here. Located in the Wilmette to Lake Bluff corridor I would say that the clientèle of this dealer tends to be very affluent and have their scheduled maintenance completed at the dealer and they don't drive alot. I purchased three cars there and they were flawless especially my 04' VDP. Its a class operation and they get great cars.

I really enjoy these unique cars and the complications and don't worry about the problems. I generally do all my own maintenance and the forum has been great. If you have one these the forum is great resource if have a problem. You can buy a Timex watch made out of plastic for $25.00 that will run for 5 years and is indestructible but its no Omega.

Last edited by edobernig; 02-24-2012 at 08:35 AM.
                        Old 02-24-2012, 03:34 AM
                        Veteran Member
                        Received 2,451 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Over here in England, we have a mandatory government roadworthiness test every 12 months once the car is over 3 years old, so this tends to pick up the suspension issues. No certificate means car cannot be put back on the road ! No cars can be sold by dealers without this vital certificate.

I gather in the US you don't have this in all states or even at all, so an inspection is more important when buying.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:56 AM
                        Received 309 Likes on 114 Posts
                        Default No roadworthy tests here. It's emissions testing

Here breathing air is the priority, if the wheels are falling off thats not a government issue, however there are "Lemon laws." Obviously a road test and a personal observation should impact a buying decision. Particularly in the Midwest the roadways are laid out like a grid. Very flat, straight and wide highways and streets with 90 degree intersections. We hate round-a-bouts. Suspension wear is generally from high miles rather than from aggressive steering along curves and undulating roads. The dealer I mentioned certifies these cars Jaguar Pre-owned and I can say that the interiors, wheels and exteriors are perfect plus the drivers here are very easy on there cars. They don't use them like a mini-van or pick-up truck. They may keep them longer and don't drive much or lease them for two years and turn them in, which as advantage to guys like me looking for a lower cost beautiful Jaguar.

Just got 8 inches of snow over night! Jaguars stay in the garage and the 4X4 Toyota SUV on the road. Time to start the snow blower.

Last edited by edobernig; 02-24-2012 at 09:06 AM.
                        Old 02-24-2012, 10:58 AM

We only got a couple of inches of snow in downtown Chicago last night, but I'll be heading up to WI for a bit of skiing at the weekend on the fresh snow!

Anyway, they don't have the equivalent of the MOT here in the US. Consequently you see some cars in shocking states of repair that are quite simply a danger. This is why you need to inspect used cars very carefully as there is no official body or laws to ensure a vehicle's safety or roadworthyness.

I looked at Imperial Jag's online inventory and they have some nice cars, but only one XJR, which is an '08 and a lot more than I want to spend.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:12 PM
                        Veteran Member

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
                        Some good information coming out here guys

Super V8 is probably beyond what I'm looking to spend and the XJR's seem like better value and more car for your money.

So why the recommendation for the 2005+ model year. Were there significant alterations and improvements made under the radar by Jaguar? Are earlier cars known to be more problematic or are they likely all sorted by now?
                        2004's can have a torque converter issue, and the XJR does not have upgraded wood, chrome, or better leather of the VDP/Super V8. For sure if I bought another XJ it would be Super V8, period!

Old 02-24-2012, 03:51 PM
                        Smile

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
                        2004's can have a torque converter issue, and the XJR does not have upgraded wood, chrome, or better leather of the VDP/Super V8. For sure if I bought another XJ it would be Super V8, period!
                        So, what's the issue with the '04 torque converter and the symptoms?

The XJR is the sporty version rather than the luxo version so slightly fancier wood, chrome and leather doesn't really interest me. Afterall it doesn't make the car any quicker or any more comfortable to be in. The extra length of the Super V8 and the posher trim of the VDP is a nice to have, but for me not worth the premium.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:51 PM
                        Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Wow... most states do have required annual safety inspections, some (incredibly) even on new cars, and most that I'm familiar with are comparable to the MoT. In my state the technicians definitely check steering, brakes, suspension, all systems, etc etc. Many are highly motivated to find flaws since they generally get the resulting repair business. But it's completely a state-by-state affair and some states' laws are much stricter than others.