XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

XJR electrical faults code issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 11:40 AM
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default XJR electrical faults code issues

I have been plagued since I have had my 2004 xjr with some ongoing fault/display error problems. Am beginning to suspect maybe an ECM or something.

I had done the compressor rebuild ( thanks Don B) and that doesn't seem to have made much difference.

Here is the scenario....driving to airport for 35 minutes....the scenario below came on. When I came back 2 weeks later( car just sat unused) no lights or error messages for probably 35 minutes....

Often I"ll get a 1474( RP) and that is about it.Often no codes will show up when read. Just this past week or two the "forward collision" message and then the car slows down, is coming on and the "light switch is off" and those are new. The RP and Cats system fault have been recurrent issues that I haven't been able to resolve. I have had when it was at freezing where the compressor won't come on and get a car too low message.

These are what read on the instrument cluster..."forward collision sensor" and then the car slows down( I didn't turn it on) I"ll also have a "restrictive performance" ( RP ) display. The car displays the engine symbol( not sure what that's means). Recent oil change, car has about 72 k on it. Thermostat has been replaced about 2k ago and doesn't appear to leak. Have replaced the coolant tank ( turns out didn't need to, but did since I bought it, replaced the o ring inside the multi armed connection piece that snaps into place) and that appears to have solved the leak in that area. I get a "cats system fault" that shows up intermittently, and of recent a 'light switch is off" message.

Car appears to drive fine. Beginning to suspect a module as these seem random and not connected.Anyone with any experience or insights on this?

Old 01-03-2016, 03:52 AM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Are you sure the Battery is good?
Forward collision switches on each time you start your car and needs to be switched off? At least thats now it works on my car. it gives a "Driver Intervene" message

It comes on when the radar senses an object at some distance in front, doesnt need to be a car? and decelerates possibly even applies brakes.

Its designed to work in conjunction with adaptive cruise to maintain a set distance between you and the car in front.

you can switch it off by pressing the button with red triangle between trunk and fuel buttons.

The 1474 DTC is for Intercooler coolant pump Failure. Check using an infra red thermometer.
either it is broken or its another electrical glitch due to battery?

The following users liked this post:
Don B (01-03-2016)
Old 01-03-2016, 07:14 PM
Received 215 Likes on 149 Posts

I think joesoap is in the right area. Many post about elec issues tied to old weak battery on the forum.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (01-03-2016)
Old 01-03-2016, 11:39 PM
Received 13,088 Likes on 6,520 Posts

Hi Grio,

+3 on the need for a healthy battery. It would be well worth having your battery load tested on a good testing system.

It would also be worth cleaning as many grounds as you can locate, beginning with the ones in the engine compartment and trunk. Use a brass brush and a zero-residue electrical contact cleaner spray. Note that the torque spec for the ground stud nuts is a very low 6.5 ft. lbs., which is just a little more than hand tight. Several members have discovered the hard way just how easy it is to snap one of these aluminum ground studs off of the body of the car by overtightening the nut.

Also clean as many electrical connectors as you can access with the contact cleaner, including the connector for the intercooler coolant pump. The ground and electrical connector locations are all given in the Electrical Guide, which you can download here:

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Elec...al%20Guide.pdf

If confirming the health of your battery (or replacing it) and cleaning ground points and connectors doesn't improve matters, you may actually have multiple faults that are real and unrelated to one another. It is possible that you may have codes stored that cannot be read by a generic OBDII scanner, which can only read generic Powertrain (P) codes. It might be prudent to have the car scanned by a Jaguar dealer or a good independent mechanic with a system that can read proprietary Jaguar codes, which include Undefined (U, mostly Network related), Chassis (C) and Body (B) codes. If you find any, they may help you track down the causes behind your issues.

You can download the DTC Summaries manual here, which gives possible causes for each code:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...03388427,d.cWw

Please keep us informed.

Cheers,

Don