XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

XJR is finally home

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 06:57 PM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default XJR is finally home

Well, it took 12 days, but my XJR is finally sitting in my garage. What a fiasco! I had spectacularly bad timing when I bought it, as the previous owner (who owned it for about three weeks), introduced the windshield to a large stone about a week before he decided to trade it in for a 2008 XJR that my dealer had just got in. He paid his insurance company to replace the windshield, so the job was effectively in the insurance company's hands. I'd been in touch with the dealer and asked if he would keep me in the loop when a new 2004-2006 XJ came in, so he called me the day after he'd received the XJR. I bought it that day, but couldn't take it home because of the 2-foot crack across the glass. Long story short (too late!), the insurance company had delays because of weather and general mishaps and the car was finally delivered to my office this afternoon. I've got to take my Mini in for service on Saturday morning, but the afternoon belongs to the XJR. I want to clean it properly and spend a little time getting to know it. I'm totally in love at the moment, and I hope the honeymoon period lasts for a while.

Last edited by general specific; 09-14-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  19.3 KB

AT LAST GS......I guess it must have been driving you crazy!!

So glad you have it in your hands eventually, sounds like there's going to be a bonding session or 2?
Let the love affair begin

Old 09-14-2011, 08:11 PM

It was beginning to drive me crazy. Couldn't be mad at the dealer, so I just rolled with the punches.

The headliner was sagging and needed some attention, but the dealer's repair failed. They've ordered a whole new headliner for me though, so I'll have to take it back in a week or so. Dealer said he'd give me loaner this time.

I need to buy some floor mats next.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  19.3 KB

Well, for you, I'm really glad that the dealer "sagging headliner repair" failed as I'm sure it would have......a new headliner is so much better all round and offers peace of mind.

Damn right they should be giving you a loaner too, ifthey want your business!

Remember and check out some of our vendors for parts you may need as they've been very helpful, cheap and quick to supply more than a few members.....always worth a look

Old 09-15-2011, 04:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Good for you , happy driving and no more sagging headliner , hope this saga finally comes to end

Old 09-16-2011, 05:37 PM

I'm loving everything except my tires. I expect some noise from low-profile rubber, but these Falkens are getting on my nerves. Nothing I can't deal with. Unfortunately, they're way too new to consider replacing them just yet. I've read that Pirelli P6s are a good and quiet tire, so I might raid the penny jar for a set of those when the time comes. Any other suggestions?

The aluminum trim around the windows is lightly oxidized too, so I'm going to try to clean those up this weekend.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:19 PM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

My 05 XJR has been the most satisfactory car I have owned. Good luck on the stained window trim. I have so far been unable to impact mine. The P6s are great, whisper quiet, but I have less than 2K on em so it's hard to say how they will do long term. What a coincidence. I replaced Falkens as well. The were Summer High perf. and while they performed well the noise drove me crazy.

I hope your car gives as much joy as mine has.

Last edited by user 2029223; 09-19-2011 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:54 AM

Thanks, Tarheal. These are HP summer tires too, so I'd bet I've got the same tires you had. There's just a little crunchiness and a roar that I could do without. This is the biggest problem in my world right now though, so I've got no room to complain.

I'm at the Mini dealer right now for service, and I'm hoping the sun comes out so I can put the pain of a bruised wallet behind me while cleaning up the Jag. I attacked the trim last night with Nevr-Dull. It brightened things up, but I don't think it put much of a dent in the staining. I think that's going to take sanding and I'm not really up for that right now.

Old 09-18-2011, 02:02 AM
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Beautiful color too! I learned to live with the dull window surrounds. If your solution works, let us know!

I had Continental Pro-Contact iirc and they were smooth as silk and almost dead-silent, but mine was not an R.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:00 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I have the p6's on my 05 XJR and hate it. can't wait until they wear out.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:02 PM
Banned

FIREHAWKMIKE,

So what are the issues with your P6s? How many miles, condition of ware, cupping, inside surface ware on the fronts, etc. What have you done to get to the bottom of your dissatisfaction?

Tires are mechanical components. Sometimes, after abuse or lack of attention you can't bring them back to an acceptable level of performance. I don't mean to say that you yourself have ruined the tires. Perhaps a previous owner, but I have observed that for these cars and any given brand of tires, if the tread is chopped up or badly worn in an uneven fashion---- you get trouble. In fact, we get impassioned testimony for and against any tire you care to name that came to an owner on a used vehicle. He then gets new tires, fixes the alignment and suspension issues and the problems are solved and he announces to the world that brand X is rubbish.

My tire store says that a"road force balance" on a chopped up tire is pointless. FWIW as of 2 years ago, no major tire mfgr recognised road force bal as a valid criteria for anything. Go figure.

BTW. "Consumer Report" just rated performance tires, both Summer & All Season, and Pierelli and Michelin consistently came out on top. There were 2 other brands but I can't recall them at present.

Last edited by user 2029223; 09-19-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:53 AM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Tarheal, i now have about 20k on them. atleast on the ones that didn't blow. They have worn fairly well but I found them loud,and the dry traction leaves a lot to be desired on a performance car. I have had them road force balanced, I am actually a big fan of perreli's just not this paticular tire. My Grandfather owned the car before me and put these on. More for the cost savings over the oem P Zero's. I drove the car with the oem tire and handling was superior.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:07 PM

Well, I see the eternal debate rages on.

It's a shame the P Zeros are so damn expensive. I had them on an M3 and I loved them (until I had to buy replacements). Thanks for the insight!

Edit: Meant to add that I think my saga has not yet ended. I'm pretty sure these numpties installed a heated windshield in my car, because I've got a million little squiggly wires embedded in the glass. I'm going to mention it to my dealer so they can take a look when they're installing the new headliner.

Last edited by general specific; 09-20-2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:49 PM

So, I spoke with the auto glass folks a couple of weeks ago and was assured that they'd been sent the glass that matched my VIN. After pointing out that I didn't have the full heated windshield option, we got into a discussion about how Jaguar seems to have decided that all replacement glass would be the fully heated option. Of course, I thought that was more than a little ridiculous, so I called my dealer and asked them to intervene. Turns out that my new windshield is the incorrect one, and that the correct part is still available. I'm hoping I can get the replacement for the replacement soon.

I read another thread from a year or so ago that had the same problem, so I'll post the part number here and in that other thread (when I find it again) once I have it.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:15 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the same issue with the Falkens. Went back to factory Dunlop SportMaxx and am pretty happy with the Db level

Old 10-10-2011, 08:53 AM
Banned

There is no point in having a tire discussion with one who wants to compare a Summer High Perf. Pirelli P Zero with a 4 Season Pirelli P6. Apples and oranges, etc. Some of us drive in cold weather. Be warned that at temperatures below 32 degrees F the P Zero starts to resemble a hockey puck.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:18 AM

Yep, there was no going out in the cold in my old Bimmer. I expect to keep the Jag indoors once it goes cold too.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no pictures???

Old 10-10-2011, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

That looks like Chantilly Jaguar in your avatar.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:32 PM

That is Chantilly Jaguar. I need to get out and take some photos myself.

Quick Reply: XJR is finally home