XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

XJR Manual Transmission Gumball Rally Project.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 06:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XJR Manual Transmission Gumball Rally Project.

Hello all,

I've just introduced myself as a new member and now I thought I'd head over here to seek some advice / Possibilities for my 2014 Gumball 3000 Project car.

I'm currently looking at a 2007 black XJR Portfolio for sale, 99,000miles on the clock and only 1/100 made, The current price is £11,950 inc.

I've spent many hours reading through the possible conversion issues when attempting to install the manual transmission, ECU issues etc.....

Elite & Performance Jags based in Derby is only 40 miles from my home and I've read much about their converted XKR, also I've found XKR Transmissions website and see they have a conversion package.

My quest goes a little further though, after more extensive reading I believe that the AJ34S unit in the XJR is the same AJ-V8 unit used by Aston Martin before they work their wonderful magic?? (Please correct me if I'm wrong at any point??!!) This is then married to a 6 speed manual transmission for the V8 Vantage. Can you see where I'm going here.....?? Yes I'd like to know the requirements / possibility of fitting this unit into the XJR??

I'll be looking to use the larger 4.7L unit as I've found a company called GRM who've designed an excellent supercharger kit:

Aston Martin Vantage GMR 600 review and pictures | evo

Being based in the UK it's a fairly simple affair to source the required parts and also I have the luxury of knowing a Jaguar mechanic (20yrs experience) to carry out the work and conversion, unfortunately he's never attempted such a conversion which is why I'm here today asking if any of you fellow Jaguar forum members have any experience in carrying out such an optimistic plan??!!

I fully intend to install other essential upgrades, brakes, suspension, fuel pump, roll bars, bushes etc..... but my main issue is the compatibility of this unit and transmission in the XJR??!!

Many of you may question why I don't just enter the rally in an Aston??!!! Well I love the XJ shape and it's quintessentially such a British car recognised all over the world, this and also to see peoples reaction when they look under the hood to find another truly British brand powering this beast which will be among some of the most powerful and exotic cars in the world. The stealth factor of this potential rocket ship is the icing on the cake..... ;-)

So any advice would be hugely appreciated and if this is a viable project then all will be documented and photographed to be shared on this site and also a dedicated website.

Many thanks in advance,

Joe

Old 10-22-2013, 01:59 AM
Received 214 Likes on 113 Posts

Personally if 600bhp is the target power output I would just look to adapting one of the avos twin screw kits and save yourself a lot of unnecessary work. As far as the transmission goes have you actually driven an R ? I think the transmission, when fully serviced and running properly, is an excellent bit of kit and well up to the job. Possibly look to adapting the paddle shift system from the xf?

My money would go on the car, a twin screw, a limited slip diff, upgraded xkrs brakes, wider rear tyres (285), upgraded exhaust. You would still have the rocket ship that you want but with a great deal less money spent.