XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

XJR Performance Mods

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 07:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XJR Performance Mods

Does anyone have experience pushing our lovely jags a little harder?
I've heard "upgrade the exhaust!" But what does that mean? Catback, headers too, is it strictly a custom job? What's the worst part of the stock exhaust?
I've heard "twin screw" charger but by who? Especially available in America...
Do any intake upgrades do anything real?
Etc.

Old 11-08-2018, 11:09 AM
Received 241 Likes on 148 Posts

I'll tell you from experience its difficult to squeeze more power out of these without spray or twinscrew. Not impossible though, but its pricey for what you get.

Intake, pulley, higflow cats/exhaust and a nice set of rear tires (Tune and LSD if you can) This will wake the car up noticeably and give you the faster**** feeling due to the sound of the supercharger whine and exhaust sound. These are the practical mods

****Definitely do the intercooler pump upgrade especially if you want to swap to a smaller pulley.

I have done these mods (not LSD, yet...) and also an intercooler ice tank and ported supercharger (don't do it) and dyno @ 390rwhp and 413rwtq. This is up from the 310 or so rwhp from factory. So a lot of money, for in the end about 80 rwhp increase, not the best investment but..... Otherwise its a car meant to be kept clean. take it to car show here and there, and enjoy the drive.

Old 11-08-2018, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts

I have gone about as far as I can with my car.
+1 on the ported supercharger I did it and think it is the worst possible bang for the buck on the M112 Gen V.

Also look at the thread +quest for 450 hp"

See below.

Old 11-08-2018, 08:47 PM
Default Thank You!

First of all, you guys rock! I went ahead and dove into all your suggested reading and surrounding threads and I love both of your styles and experience!!
i don't think my intake air runs through an intercooler, I tried to find a path to one when I changed my filter... Any idea about that?
Who or what is this avos twin screw supercharger deal?

For anyone coming this route looking for performance discussion, this is the thread Jackra wisely suggested.

Last edited by rufeo690; 11-08-2018 at 09:51 PM. Reason: I just hit the jackpot
Old 11-08-2018, 11:03 PM
Received 241 Likes on 148 Posts

Your supercharger outlet feeds into the heat exchangers (boxes that say supercharged on them) which then feed into the heads. The heat exchangers are air to water, meaning the boost goes through the small heat exchanger(looks like a radiator) which has water/coolant flowing through it. Heat is transferred from the air to the liquid. The liquid then gets pumped to the intercooler radiator in the front of the car where the same process happens but in reverse.... The air flowing through the heart exchanger cools the liquid. Then it gets pumped back to the heat exchangers up top and stars the process all over again.

This is clearly not the most efficient nor effective way to cool the inlet air. Hence why upgrading the intercooler pump is a must. Also why the car benefits from cooling mods, ie more efficient supercharger, methanol injection, ice tank, even nitrous.

Old 11-09-2018, 06:21 AM

Ok I never would have expected that!! I saw the intercooler at the front but thought maybe the PO had re routed the intake air. I've seen hundreds of intercooled supercharger setups but never one that cools the compressed air.
​​​​​​ Where did you get your pump upgrade?
​​​​​

Old 11-09-2018, 06:36 AM
Veteran Member

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...t-pump-161438/

Have a look at the above thread for starters.

Old 11-09-2018, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 597 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by rufeo690
Ok I never would have expected that!! I saw the intercooler at the front but thought maybe the PO had re routed the intake air. I've seen hundreds of intercooled supercharger setups but never one that cools the compressed air.
​​​​​​ Where did you get your pump upgrade?
​​​​​
ALL intercooler set ups cool the charge / compressed air . and if they don't its done wrong!!!
the heat that the intercooler is fighting is caused by compressing the air in the first place.
so the cooling needs to take place after/downstream of the blower / turbo .
i also have seen hundreds of intercooler set ups , and not one as describe !

Last edited by Datsports; 11-09-2018 at 04:02 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member

With my setup I have an additional radiator placed in line with the OEM radiator.

It is placed in front of all the radiators and has twin 6" fans to help cool everything even when the car is stationary.

So the charge cooler coolant flow goes from the cooling matrices in the charge coolers thru the OEM radiator and then my additional radiator and back.

Also the upgraded Bosch pump is in there.

The additional radiator increases the capacity of coolant in the system as well.

In theory I think I have improved on the OEM efficiency but have no way of proving that.

I also use the meth/water injection system which helps prevent pre-ignition if I drive in a spirited fashion.

I do not have a tune to take advantage of the meth/water system and do not want to do that because of the danger to the engine if I run out of meth/water.

I only know of one person capable of doing that tune anyway and that is Cambo.

2006 onward MY can be tuned by quite a few companies. Big electronic changes from MY 2005 to MY 2006 as well as VVT.

Old 11-09-2018, 06:48 PM
Received 1,425 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by jackra_1
With my setup I have an additional radiator placed in line with the OEM radiator.

It is placed in front of all the radiators and has twin 6" fans to help cool everything even when the car is stationary.

So the charge cooler coolant flow goes from the cooling matrices in the charge coolers thru the OEM radiator and then my additional radiator and back.

Also the upgraded Bosch pump is in there.

The additional radiator increases the capacity of coolant in the system as well.

In theory I think I have improved on the OEM efficiency but have no way of proving that.
Can you send me some pics of your double radiator set up, thanks.

Old 11-09-2018, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member

The above is what the additional radiator looks like. Obviously it does block airflow to the top half of the other radiators, although airflow below the bumper brace is as usual, which is the main reason I fitted the two six inch fans.

They are set to come on automatically when the main radiator reaches operating temp with the thermostat open.

I had to modify the hood latch mechanism in order to fit everything in place.

I simply added some new hoses to go from the OEM charge cooler radiator to the additional radiator and back to the pump so all those items are in series.

Old 11-10-2018, 02:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,551 Likes on 3,958 Posts

Measuring IAT2 how much difference did that make?

Old 11-10-2018, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
Measuring IAT2 how much difference did that make?
I have no idea.

I have Torque Pro but do not think it is capable of detecting IA2. I know my JLR SDD is capable but have never used it when actually driving the car.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,551 Likes on 3,958 Posts

Ah.

I figured anyone doing a mod in a specific area (intercooling or whatever) would start with known readings, make the mod(s), and compare.

A bit like before & after dynos.

Old 11-10-2018, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
Ah.

I figured anyone doing a mod in a specific area (intercooling or whatever) would start with known readings, make the mod(s), and compare.

A bit like before & after dynos.
In an ideal world yes. No dynos near by and no drag strips nearby and also no breakers nearby with jags.

All I know is that my car, usually, drives extremely well and has plenty of power when needed and with the LSD takes off way quicker than ever before. All seat of the pants stuff tho.

When I say usually drives well it is sitting in the garage waiting for a new water pump.

This car is not my daily driver, and I am retired, my Rover is my daily driver. Point being is that I dont mind "playing" with mechanical mods on the Jag just for the heck of it.

I can return the Jag back to original as I still have all the parts including the SC and the diff.

Last edited by jackra_1; 11-10-2018 at 09:04 AM.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:59 AM
Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by jackra_1
I only know of one person capable of doing that tune anyway and that is Cambo.

2006 onward MY can be tuned by quite a few companies. Big electronic changes from MY 2005 to MY 2006 as well as VVT.
Cambo does not sell tunes for 2003-5 cars
Mine was tuned by Viezu/Paramount, they had to take the ECU out to flash

Old 11-10-2018, 10:03 AM
Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

I have done the following to mine:
-10% Pulley
-Caldoofy Intake & K&N
-200 cell cats with 2.5 full exhaust
-Viezu tune
-AMG Intercooler pump
-295s tyres on back

Ran 12.89 @ 107.2 mph, the fastest 1/4 time I believe with stock diff.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by alecescolme
Cambo does not sell tunes for 2003-5 cars
Mine was tuned by Viezu/Paramount, they had to take the ECU out to flash
Yes I know that the ECU would have to be taken out to flash.

I read somewhere in here that Cambo could do the flash but that it would not gain much on the non VVT engine.

Also a UK based company that I contacted stated that "we could do it but rate our chances of success at 50%".

Old 11-10-2018, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 597 Likes on 473 Posts

Cambo has said he no longer offers the flash tune for pre 05 Denso cars,
as its too problematic .
however Viezu and Rica do offer a chip tune for the Denso. only if you supply the car .
Viezu stated they would chip it without the car. if the car was stock .
it was obvious the difference when i degunged the charge coolers fitted the bosch 010 ic pump and added a 4l capacity tank to my car .

Last edited by Datsports; 11-11-2018 at 05:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jackra_1 (11-10-2018)
Old 04-26-2020, 12:10 PM
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Datsports
Cambo has said he no longer offers the flash tune for pre 05 Denso cars,
as its too problematic .
however Viezu and Rica do offer a chip tune for the Denso. only if you supply the car .
Viezu stated they would chip it without the car. if the car was stock .
it was obvious the difference when i degunged the charge coolers fitted the bosch 010 ic pump and added a 4l capacity tank to my car .
What's involved in cleaning the charge coolers? Can they be inspected by removing the black piece between the high pressure manifold from the s/c and the charge coolers? Do they need to be removed to clean them? If so, does the s/c need to be removed to remove the charge coolers?
I have a 2006 XJR 130k miles, with Bosch 010 ic pump. I'm thinking mine are most likely coated by now.

Quick Reply: XJR Performance Mods