XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

You can laugh... I dropped a wrench down into the air intake hose behind the grill

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 06:11 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default You can laugh... I dropped a wrench down into the air intake hose behind the grill

I think all X350s -- and not just XJRs -- have a large air intake hose behind the grill and a little to the right if you are facing it.

This hose flares out a little and then smoothly descends and then drops underneath another larger hose and piece.

I was trying to get a socket to fit under the leaper base on the bottom of the hood (or bonnet). I set a few sockets on the little ledge formed at the end of this hose.

You can guess the rest. I knocked a socket back and it slid down the hose and settled somewhere at the bottom.

If the hose or engine generates enough suction, this socket could go straight into... the injection system? The super charger?

I do not want to have to tow the car anywhere. I don't have a car lift. I just have some regular tools. Can I get to this just by removing a couple hoses and plastic pieces?

Old 07-14-2013, 06:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 465 Posts

If the socket was small enough it will fall into the airbox
Remove the air box top cover and the filer to check.
If the socket has not fallen through go ahead and remove the pipe and tip out the socket

Cheers
34by151

Old 07-14-2013, 08:18 AM
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

it will certainly not be sucked into the engine.

the hose loops down and enters the inboard end of the lower section of the air cleaner enclosure. There is a gap for any water or detritus to fall to the bottom of the box, and the air filter is set above it so objects will not hit the filter unless they are e.g. insects. The object you dropped has probably fallen to the bottom of the loop, you might get it out with a magnetic parts retriever. if not it may be visible if you remove the top of the air filter box, and the filter which is then exposed. Try to recruit a person with small hands and thin arms. BTW if the filter looks dirty and you do not know when last replaced, a new one will cost you about £15 so you may as well change it. Once you have raised the lid, the filter lifts out.

The filter housing has been carefully designed so that it is very difficult to remove and refit the top part. There are two thumb catches at the outboard end, and four plastic lugs at the inboard end. I recently started a thread about the difficult of removing and refitting the top. See https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...charged-98339/

Last edited by PigletJohn; 07-14-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:41 AM

Thanks for the good and detailed instruction. Will report back.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:00 AM

I have just updated the Airbox thread, try the link again.

The following users liked this post:
TallXJDriver (07-20-2013)
Old 07-20-2013, 08:15 PM

Thanks for all the help. I was able to manipulate the air filter cover off after pushing and pulling the hose from the air intake (?) to the side. I was afraid I was going to ruin the hose.

Before getting the cover off, I dropped a fastener down the air ram so I had two objects to remove when I pulled out the air filter. Sure enough, the two objects were sitting at the bottom of the bend in the hose.

Getting the cover back on... I have no idea how to get off the "elbow" piece that seems to feed air to the supercharger. I tried to force the cover back on. Then I watched the video on adapting the lower end of the case to make the base of the "L" catch shorter.

I got out my newish Dremel tool only to realize that I was not close enough to a AC outlet. And I couldn't move my car without someone to help push it closer to a plug.

So I got out one of the cylinder shaped Dremel bits that has a band of abrasive around it. I manually started sanding down the tabs on the bottom piece of the air filter case while it was still installed in the engine bay.

After a few minutes I could feel that I had taken them down. This is without taking everything apart like in the video.

When I tried to put the top of the air filter case back on.... Boom! Got it almost immediately. I just had to get the angle right. The video helped me measure that.

Thanks again for the help. I dropped a pen sized flashlight behind the grill and the male end of the fasteners that fasten the cowling just behind the headlamps into the engine somewhere. I hope they do not move around while I drive.

Also, I discovered why my car started making strange vibrating noises after its last trip to Santa Monica Jaguar. They did not put on the rubber mating piece into the prongs to steady the cover for the supercharger. I'll know for sure when I drive it. What a bunch of monkeys (not in a racial sense but in an attention to detail sense).

Last edited by TallXJDriver; 07-21-2013 at 02:11 AM.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:42 PM
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't laugh...this sounds like something that would happen to me. I could chuckle a little bit, but I know it would come back on me.
Good luck.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:37 AM

do you mean what looks like rubber bungs that sit in wells in top plastic cover? how do they come out? I don't want to damage them with anything sharp.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by PigletJohn
do you mean what looks like rubber bungs that sit in wells in top plastic cover? how do they come out? I don't want to damage them with anything sharp.
I was describing the little screw in pieces that secure the cowling or cover -- it's a long, black plastic piece that runs the length of the engine. There are maybe six points where they screw in.

The screw in pieces are different from any fastener I have seen before. The top or male end fits through a washer-shaped female end and screws into it. I'm sure you know what I meant by now.

On my car both the make and female end are on the outside of the cover. This allows you to simply unscrew the pieces. When you're done you can pull out the long plastic cover to access the headlamps and get easier access to the air filter cover.