XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

ZF 6HP26 / 28 Transmission Fluid Flush DIY

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 03:49 PM
Received 226 Likes on 145 Posts

I'm late to the party reading this thread but AWSOME JOB Don. I've been pondering how I was going to do my transmission oil change and now I have a perfect, tried and tested solution. Anybody have thoughts on whether this will work on the 6hp28?

Old 08-28-2019, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts

I have a 6hp28 in my 2013 Range Rover Sport.

I plan on using the method Don outlines in this thread on it, in about a month, and see no problem.

The following 2 users liked this post by jackra_1:
Don B (08-28-2019), hafren (08-28-2019)
Old 10-18-2019, 04:32 AM
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Great Post, thank you for that..
i want to ask you something; what about to vacuum all old fluid over the cooler outlet of the trans without starting the engine. and after that fill up normally?

thank you

The following 2 users liked this post by Mustafa Kemal Alpaslan:
Don B (10-18-2019), wrd0225 (07-23-2021)
Old 10-18-2019, 09:32 AM
Received 12,943 Likes on 6,467 Posts

Originally Posted by Mustafa Kemal Alpaslan
Great Post, thank you for that..
i want to ask you something; what about to vacuum all old fluid over the cooler outlet of the trans without starting the engine. and after that fill up normally?
Hi Mustafa,

That's a great question! Applying vacuum to the cooler outlet will withdraw some fluid, but not all of it, given that much of it resides in the torque converter, where no amount of vaccum applied to the cooler line can withdraw it.

Using the transmission's own pump to eject the fluid seems like the fastest and most efficient method, and as far as I know, even when professional transmission shops flush transmission fluid via the cooler lines or pump inlet the engine must be running so that the transmission pump is operating during the flush.

I would welcome input from any of our auto transmission experts.

Cheers,

Don

The following 3 users liked this post by Don B:
AD2014 (02-02-2020), MountainMan (12-21-2019), XJRay (07-15-2020)
Old 10-19-2019, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Don B
Hi Mustafa,

That's a great question! Applying vacuum to the cooler outlet will withdraw some fluid, but not all of it, given that much of it resides in the torque converter, where no amount of vaccum applied to the cooler line can withdraw it.

Using the transmission's own pump to eject the fluid seems like the fastest and most efficient method, and as far as I know, even when professional transmission shops flush transmission fluid via the cooler lines or pump inlet the engine must be running so that the transmission pump is operating during the flush.

I would welcome input from any of our auto transmission experts.

Cheers,

Don
Thank you Don,

i came to this because last week i changed my engine oil with a vacuum machine and it took all of the old oil out, 7.7 liters. I vacuum also the oil filter area. It was nice to get all of old oil out of the engine. After that i unplug the diesel injectors and crank for 10-15 seconds before i start the engine. I wanted that the new oil been pumped all over.
This was the machine that i used:

Now i thought that i can do this with the trans, it would nice to suck all the old fluid out. Why it is not possible to vacuum from the torque converter? It would nice when our experts can comment on this.

And sorry for my bad English..

cheers

Old 10-26-2019, 04:51 PM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I in the middle of flushing my 2004 XJ8 now. First problem is getting the T27 bolts loose. 5 came off with a impact wrench leaving 16 that would not budge. Even with a few days of repeated soaking in BP Blaster. They are all off now. How I did it was a trick I learned a long time ago. I dremmel a notch in the side of the bolt head in such a position that you can get the edge of a cold chisel into the notch. The pan is being replaced so cutting into it not an issue. I took a drift and ground the end to a chisel edge. The cold chisel works best but the drift is smaller and gets into some places better. I used a ball peen hammer to tap tap tap the bolt heads with the chisel/drift. The repeated tapping is like an impact wrench and it loosens the bolt. The ideal angel would be level with the screw head and 90 degrees to a line drawing through the diameter. That's impossible in the confined space but as close as I could get worked. The idea is not to wail on it but firm repeated tapping. Also you have to catch just the bolt head with the chisel not the pan. 4 or 5 taps broke them all loose. You will see the notch move a little bit. That is all you need. The impact wrench with a impact rated T27 finished the job. I will be using new T40s with anti seize. I have seen posts of people having to drill the heads off or twisting them off then they really got a problem. Drilling out bolts in an aluminum case is nerve racking. High torque is not the answer, repeated tapping will break them loose.

As for the flush I have McGyvered a tube that uses the nipple cut from the old pan and plugs into the intake. A large funnel feeds that. I have a large 2 foot square pan to catch the fluid. I have done it with other cars no problem. It also the method that some transmission shops use to get a complete flush. The transmission does not know that there is no pan. It sucks
ten quarts through pretty quick. I mentioned this method earlier and Don thought is might be messy. It would be if you don't have a large pan. I also have a plastic tarp under everything. After, I have to put the new pan on and go through the fill procedure. I am using Mercon SP and adding 4 oz of Lubeguard shudder fix.

The following users liked this post:
Pitzury (10-31-2019)
Old 10-26-2019, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 798 Likes on 670 Posts

Used vice grips on a few of mine, worked out well.

Old 10-26-2019, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

If you're replacing the pan, just break the plastic around them. Then there's nothing left binding them to the transmission.

Old 10-26-2019, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by tomcoo
I will be using new T40s with anti seize. I have seen posts of people having to drill the heads off or twisting them off then they really got a problem. Drilling out bolts in an aluminum case is nerve racking. High torque is not the answer, repeated tapping will break them loose.
Hi tomcoo,

I'm glad you're making progress!

Please be careful using anti-seize on the pan screws because it reduces friction that can lead to over-torquing the new screws. The torque specification is based on clean, dry threads.

Originally Posted by tomcoo
As for the flush I have McGyvered a tube that uses the nipple cut from the old pan and plugs into the intake. A large funnel feeds that. I have a large 2 foot square pan to catch the fluid. [snip] I mentioned this method earlier and Don thought is might be messy. It would be if you don't have a large pan. I also have a plastic tarp under everything.
Transmission shops have large stand-mounted funnels to catch the spilling fluid when they employ the pump-inlet method of flushing the fluid. We would all be interested in seeing your setup for doing it yourself at home. Did the 2-foot square pan catch most of the fluid or did you get some mess on the tarp?

Keep up the great work!

Cheers,

Don

The following 4 users liked this post by Don B:
AD2014 (02-02-2020), MountainMan (12-21-2019), Pitzury (01-07-2020), XJRay (07-15-2020)
Old 10-26-2019, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean W
If you're replacing the pan, just break the plastic around them. Then there's nothing left binding them to the transmission.
Most, if not all. of the the torx screws poke thru the flange of the transmission into the open air so you can spray them from the top with pbblaster or something like that overnite before tackling them.

The following 2 users liked this post by jackra_1:
Don B (10-28-2019), Queen and Country (12-29-2019)
Old 10-26-2019, 09:35 PM

haven't done it. I will report how it goes,

Old 10-26-2019, 09:42 PM

I saturated everything with PB Blaster multiple times over a few days. I thought of breaking the pan but there are metal sleeves in my pan that screws torque against. I thought it easier to remove the screws with my method.

Old 10-30-2019, 08:59 PM

Flushed the transmission. The picture explains it all. The intake tube cut from the pan is a press fit into the plumbing parts from the hardware store. The funnel holds 6 quarts. 4 more are ready with the caps off. When you start the car it goes quick. My helper pours the 4 quarts as fast as she can. I have just enough time to shift Park through Drive and back to park (brake on of course). I would say all ten quarts go through in 30 seconds. I have a 2 foot square pan under the trans to catch the fluid and a tarp under that. The board is 1/4" plywood with 1 1/8" hole. I slip the hole over the intake tube on the new pan. Used a transfer punch to transfer 4 holes to the board. 4 6mm x 1.0 bolts, 25mm long. The board bolts to the transmission and holds the intake tube in place. From my research that is the preferred way a transmission shop does a full flush.

The following 4 users liked this post by tomcoo:
Don B (10-30-2019), jackra_1 (10-31-2019), Pitzury (10-31-2019), Wingrider (10-31-2019)
Old 11-24-2019, 09:59 PM

Dear Don,

i want ask if it is really necessary to clear the Mechatronic adaptations and update the firmware ? My trans runs good i have no problems i want to change only the fluid and the filter.

thank you in advance

mustafa

Old 11-24-2019, 10:54 PM

i want ask if it is really necessary to clear the Mechatronic adaptations and update the firmware ? My trans runs good i have no problems i want to change only the fluid and the filter.
Hello Mustafa,

No, you do not have to clear the adaptations and update the firmware if your transmission is otherwise operating properly. You can change the fluid, filter and connector sleeve, and while you have the pan off it would be prudent to also drop the Mechatronic and replace its seal adapter.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 11-24-2019 at 10:56 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Don B:
AD2014 (02-02-2020), MountainMan (12-21-2019), XJRay (07-15-2020)
Old 11-25-2019, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by Don B
Hello Mustafa,

No, you do not have to clear the adaptations and update the firmware if your transmission is otherwise operating properly. You can change the fluid, filter and connector sleeve, and while you have the pan off it would be prudent to also drop the Mechatronic and replace its seal adapter.

Cheers,

Don
Hello Don,

thank you very much for Quick answer.. I have to look if i can find the connector sleeve and the seal adapter here in Turkey.

I prepared the hoses, these was the parts i could find only but i think it will fit.

I will make some pictures and share with you.

Thank you again
Mustafa

Old 11-25-2019, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member

A point of interest here on the mechatronics sleeve when replacing.

Make sure the new one has black O rings on it. Your original may have orange O rings which apparently are prone to leaking as indeed is the bridge seal under the mechatronics unit itself due to age.

In watching quite a few Youtube videos the above points are brought up frequently by people who do this work for a living.

When I get around to doing my Rover Z6HP28 trans I will be replacing the rubber tube seals as well as the bridge connector under the mechatronics unit and also all the solenoids.

Obviously lots of people do not bother with all of this and seem just fine.

These transmissions do fail tho and the % of failures may be small but when "in there" I will replace what I can and feel more confident about the transmission.

I will also use Mercon SP instead of LF6

Last edited by jackra_1; 11-25-2019 at 08:07 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by jackra_1:
Don B (11-25-2019), MountainMan (12-21-2019), Mustafa Kemal Alpaslan (11-25-2019), TrevLevin04XKR (02-14-2023)
Old 11-25-2019, 09:57 AM

thank you very much for Quick answer.. I have to look if i can find the connector sleeve and the seal adapter here in Turkey.

I prepared the hoses, these was the parts i could find only but i think it will fit.

I will make some pictures and share with you.
Hi Mustafa,

Your hoses look great! Can't wait to hear how it goes and to see some photos!

Cheers,

Don

The following 4 users liked this post by Don B:
AD2014 (02-02-2020), MountainMan (12-21-2019), Mustafa Kemal Alpaslan (11-25-2019), XJRay (07-15-2020)
Old 12-15-2019, 09:19 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up Pan bolt question

Don, Thanks for answering every question I had about this process. Fantastic Resource!
I said every but as I set about to do the flush one more question came up. What have you used to remove the pan bolts when the splined socket hole becomes stripped out?

Last edited by Don B; 12-15-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12-15-2019, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 798 Likes on 670 Posts

Vise grips worked on mine.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (12-15-2019)

Quick Reply: ZF 6HP26 / 28 Transmission Fluid Flush DIY