XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

1995 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas will not turn over

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2024, 03:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1995 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas will not turn over

Hello everyone, I am glad to have found this forum. I have an issue with my 95 xj6 US model. I got the car about a week ago. It had been sitting for about 4 or 5 years with a dead battery. I have put a new battery in it. When I turn the key to start the car nothing happens. I have done a lot of reading and trouble shooting but so far have not been able to figure it out.
I have checked the starter relay and it is good. I have power to pin # 3 at all times. When the key is in the ON position I do not have power to any of the other pins. I jumped the #3 pin and the # 2 pin with the key in the ON position and the engine cranked. I have checked every fuse on the car and they are all good. I have checked the inertia switch and it appears to be working and pressed the reset button on the top of it just in case. I checked the connections at the ECU and the condition of the ECU and did not find any signs of corrosion or water damage. The gear shifter P is red when the shifter is in park with key ON. The check engine light does not stay on when the ignition is turned to the "ON' position, it comes on for a second or 2 and goes out. From what I have read the check engine light is supposed to stay on until the car starts. I also do not hear the fuel pump coming on. Also when the key is in the ON position the #9 blue relay under the hood is not being activated, with the key in the ON position when removed or reinstalled there is no clicking of the relay. Everything else on the car is working except the radio. Any ideas?

The following users liked this post:
Parker 7 (06-13-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 965 Likes on 807 Posts

At the starter solenoid relay to directly power through the solenoid relay so the separate starter attached solenoid can close ( starter extension / engagement of the gears and muscle battery cable power to turn the electric motor )

Would be socket 3 ( battery power hot at all times) to 5

It is easy to have the relay mounting position installed / swapped

The relay 4 wire colors are A , B , C , D

Brown / White 3 , fuse # 3 battery power hot at all times

White / Pink 2 , fuse # 12 control power , relay in the corner of the right engine bay fuse box must close , click

White 5 , power on to the solenoid

Green / Orange 1 , control ground provided by the BPM

You will see the starter solenoid relay has 2 fuses , # 3 left engine bay fuse box and # 12 right engine bay fuse box

Ask questions

Last edited by Parker 7; 06-13-2024 at 11:09 PM.
Old 06-13-2024, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 965 Likes on 807 Posts

You can swap the # 9 small right engine bay fuse box relay with the left engine bay fuse box relay ( only runs the car horn )

The # 9 is closed by a ground path provided by the ignition switch through pin X through pin 5 which is a car frame ground ( ground can get disturbed behind the dash and should be close to 0 resistance )

Pin Y to 5 provides one of the enables for the BPM so it can then provide a separate ground path for the starter solenoid relay to close

You can get some fluids in the connector

The ignition switch is removable from the key barrel ( not needed yet ) , so no new key needed

Small curved cover under the steering collum

This is a pic of the switch side of the connector , to bring the car side out to you lift the connector straight up at the mounting bracket

Never install the battery in backwards , and never overtighten the positive battery post bolt , breaks special curved nut underneath .

There are 3 fuses for the premium stereo on you VDP X . Y . Z / Jaguar - Alpine AJ9500A

Last edited by Parker 7; 06-13-2024 at 11:37 PM.
Old 06-14-2024, 01:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 996 Likes on 676 Posts

Good work with all that troubleshooting so far. Apparently there's more to do. Swap the engine bay king relays as Parker says. But that might not make a difference if the Check Engine light is not lit steady with key on. This is likely why the starter relay will not get the crank signal at key turn.

Try starting the car in Neutral too, as you see the crank signal goes through the transmission rotary switch. But likely no change.

Fuse #12 in the RH engine bay fuse box feeds power to the white/pink wire of the starter relay with the key on, via the closed king relay. Then the starter relay waits for the ground from the BPM at key turn. But we still need the BPM to get its CEL input from the ECU, so it can output the cranking ground.

The following users liked this post:
Parker 7 (06-14-2024)