XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

1995 XJ6 Wont Turn Over and door locks don't work! Fuel issue? Security issue? Module

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 01:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1995 XJ6 Wont Turn Over and door locks don't work! Fuel issue? Security issue? Module

Hello everyone and how are you. I have a 1995 XJ6 in almost perfect shape for 100k miles. At this point, here is the current condition / issues:

- Key turns on... gauges power up... but motor does not turn over. I do hear a relay clicking in the trunk when I try to start it... but don't hear any other relays clicking when I turn the key
- I don't hear a fuel pump firing up like you normally would when the car is powered.
- None of the door locks work. I don't have a key fob, but when I use the key in the door nothing works... when I manually lock and unlock from inside the car, nothing works. Centralized locking button on the console does not work or light up.
- Rear trunk button does not work... and cannot hear relay working.

What have I done so far to fix it?
- I have replaced ALL of the square "blue" relays within the car...
- I have replaced the larger black relays right behind both drivers and passengers side headlights for the; Starter motor solenoid (drivers side), Engine Management system control relay (pass side)
- Red P and N light up red on the gear shift... wiggled it while trying to start it... no difference
- Took drivers side door panel off to inspect and everything looks normal.
- I did "jump" the starter from the single wire between the fuel rail and the valve cover... starter works fine and I have solid power running to the positive power pole running through the passengers side firewall by the motor.
- Charged the battery to ensure proper voltage
- Inspected wiring behind the rear seat from within the truck... looks normal
- Inspected the inertia switch... it's working and reset

At this point the only relays I have yet to replace are the "purple striped" relays for the Fuel filler flap, drivers/pass door lock, and two of them for the gear shift lock out. What could be the problem here?? Is there a module that could be faulty? Any further tests that I can run? Curious as to where the power runs to the door locking system... maybe I can trace it back up the line? Maybe the car was locked (security enabled) then door lock relays went out so it is not in a permanent state of security activation?

Any help is much appreciated.

Old 11-10-2015, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 278 Likes on 171 Posts

Have you checked the grounding strap from the motor to the frame? It is located down by the starter motor.

Old 11-10-2015, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by EZDriver
Have you checked the grounding strap from the motor to the frame? It is located down by the starter motor.
Yes, I checked it and it is fine. I ran a positive line to the starter solenoid and it cranked over no problem so the grounding is ok.

Old 11-10-2015, 05:09 PM

I am thinking that I should probably focus on the door locks and starter circuits... I found the below on the net about the fuel pump system:

"There are three main components to the system: the trunk-mounted, constant pressure electric fuel pump, a control relay, and a voltage directing diode pack. The system is so designed that the pump will operate when the starter motor is engaged and when the motor is actually running."

So it sounds like the fuel system does not activate until the starter is actually engaged, which mine is not.... so fuel system could be ok. Any thoughts on where to go next here?

Old 11-18-2015, 07:48 PM
Received 257 Likes on 94 Posts

Just curious.

Needs to be asked if you did anything to the car prior to this condition happening? Did you work on something else and then this started to happen?

Was the car sitting or were you driving it daily and then it just started doing this?

Old 11-19-2015, 09:20 AM

No.... just went to start the car one day and did nothing.... really just stopped working for no reason.

**Quick Update** I replaced the "Body Processor Module" and fixed SOME of the issues. Now, the lights turn on... fuel pump works!... and Car fires right up!!!... I also found out that the alternator was bad so I replaced it with a new one. It is showing a constant 12.5 volts and goes as high as 13volts when driving.

Now onto some other mysteries... the door locks still don't work (nore does the central locking system button) and the car often continues to run after I pull the keys out... BUT... when I shut the door, the car shuts off??? WTF??? Almost like it is in some sort of Valet mode but when I press the valet button on the console nothing happens. Any thoughts?

The following users liked this post:
Brad Carr (08-23-2016)
Old 11-25-2015, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 278 Likes on 171 Posts

Are you sure you are not using the valet key?

Old 12-18-2015, 11:00 AM
Received 96 Likes on 67 Posts

any luck with the door locks?

Old 12-21-2015, 07:17 AM
Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

Part of the ignition switch detects if the key is inserted. I would check this first as this can affect the behaviour of the ECU and other modules.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello my electric dont work for my trunk or my doors they work manually, and did a keyless entry exist for this 95 xj6