XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

1995 xjr 6 boot lid wont open

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2022, 04:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1995 xjr 6 boot lid wont open

Hi to everyone,
My first post after driving my new XJR 6 for the past 3 weeks.
I had the car gone through by Tasker & Lacy in Leeds to give me the best chance of a reliable car while Im in the UK from Australia for 3 months.
The current problem is that the boot lid now will not open.
When I push the button on the dash or use the key in the boot lid and then press the button I can here the motor operating and something is trying to operate but it sounds like its grating or has stripped some gears.
I did try the spare remote fob ( The one with the green key on it ) to open and close the doors as the one Tasker & Lacy told me to use has to be very close to the car before it will open or close the doors so I thought Id try this one just to check and compare. Nothing happens with the spare fob.
Is it possible that by pressing this spare fob Ive put it in Valet mode?
How close to your car do you have to be before your remote fob works?
Are Aftermarket new replacement fobs available?
Ive looked on you tube and seen guys drilling holes behind the rear number plate to poke a screwdriver through.... is this a done thing?
Im staying in Sheffield so its not handy to nip back to Tasker & Lacy so appreciate any advice,
Cheers , Ian Mathieson.

Old 06-16-2022, 05:02 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Ian,
I've just been out to check on mine and the boot will unlock without the motor engaged simply by turning the key in the boot lock. I know this because I have removed the battery, so it may be worth turning the key and lifting the lid at the same time?
In the past I have found that the key may not turn after the lock has been unused for a while. I've sprayed WD40 into the lock and wiggled the key with success.
If you can't sort it out, and obviously you don't have tools, then drop me a message - I'm not far away from you near Chesterfield.
Good luck,
Kevin

Old 06-16-2022, 05:43 AM
Received 213 Likes on 145 Posts

My bootlid opens more readily if I press down on it as I'm turning the key.

The key needs to turn 90º in the lock to get the trunk open. If it only turns 45º, a shot of lubricant as Kevin suggests will likely help.

Old 06-16-2022, 06:06 PM
Received 212 Likes on 112 Posts

The key lock and the servo for the trunk/boot release are located by the keyhole area, there are 2 rods that link to the lock mechanism by the center of the trunk behind the button.
It's possible that both rods have come loose which means there is no control/connection to the lock.
On mine the rod from the electronic servo had popped out (possibly me not installing it properly) which meant that I could only use the key to open the trunk.
If the connector rod from the servo is disconnected then you will hear the servo try to open the trunk but won't.
If the connector from the keyhole is disconnected then it will also do nothing.
It sounds like they might both be loose or disconnected in your case, which mans you might have to do some metalwork to open it up.
Maybe try leaning on it as you try unlocking.

Last edited by Nobeel Masri; 06-16-2022 at 06:15 PM.