XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

1995 XJR won't crank

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 04:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 XJR won't crank

Hello all,
This summer I was finally able to talk my brother in law into selling me his beautiful 1995 XJR. I've been bugging him for some years now. He was the original owner and the car only has 72K on the clock.
With that said the first thing I had to do is replace the fuel pumps as ethenal sitting in the tank had made a mess of things. The car cranked fine before the fuel pump job (just no flow to the fuel rail).
With everything back together and now... I get no starter crank or even a solenoid click , no headlights, and the key fob will NOT unlock the doors. But everything else seems to run??? Battery is OLDER but I just charged it up. I moved the battery to my truck and it cranks it fine!
I'm a mechanical guy, but my weakness is with electronics.

Any HELP would be very appreciated!!!

Old 10-11-2016, 02:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 919 Likes on 517 Posts

Sorry to hear that your weakness is electronics as this one might expose that weakness!

There is a vein of threads running through the forum that have a similar kind of scenario to yours. It seems to be a sequence that goes something like

- car off road / laid up for some time
- battery dead
- battery charged or replaced
- BPM (Body Processor Module) and/or SLCM (Security Locking Control Module) module dies

I'm at a loss to explain how that could happen but it does. I've had dead battery myself a few times and disconnected/charged/connected many, many times without issue.

Unfortunately almost all of the threads stop before there is any firm conclusion on full resolution but swapping the BPM seems to do the trick to get the car cranking in most cases.

There are tests you do on the BPM, but if electrics is not your thing then a second hand unit is relatively cheap and is easy to swap. It's a good diagnostic tool to have a spare one anyway so the investment is not wasted if it turns out not to be the problem.

Here's a recent post that is similar (with a link to another) and will give you some pointers to do further searching on the forum.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...r-help-168822/

Old 10-11-2016, 01:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read that string you suggested. I'm hoping that my battery is just a little low, but will advise in a day or two. These Jag's are fussy for sure, but beautiful cars! The car cranked fine before I replaced the fuel pumps, so I'm hoping it's a simple repair...

I appreciate your response! Will advise.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:00 PM
Received 86 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Possible solution:

I hope you figured it out by now, but I'm writing this for the next people that might be looking for an answer: one common problem is that when the battery dies or is disconnected, the Security Module has to be reset. One clue is that the dashboard will light up normally, but you won't have dome lights, and no clicking from the solenoid that locks the gear in park (hence preventing you from going into any other gear). To solve this, lock the car with the key fob, and unlock it again, and that usually takes care of the problem. It worked for me many times. Hope this helps someone.

The following 2 users liked this post by Guillaume:
Grant Francis (06-28-2017), littlelic69 (06-28-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 05:06 AM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Guillaume
[snipped]
To solve this, lock the car with the key fob, and unlock it again, and that usually takes care of the problem. It worked for me many times. Hope this helps someone.
And if one doesn't have a key fob ?

Old 06-28-2017, 07:22 AM
Received 10,481 Likes on 6,921 Posts

I know this is an older thread,

BUT,

Wading thru wiring diagrams tracing something NOT related, I found the following:

"Note: All vehicles require the check engine signal input TO the Body Processor Module BEFORE the BPM enables engine cranking".

Old 06-28-2017, 08:04 AM
Received 86 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by caldercay
And if one doesn't have a key fob ?
I found a key fob on ebay for $30. Make sure you buy the right one, as there are 2 different frequencies.