XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

1996 into the present vanden plas modernization

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2020, 05:29 PM
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 1996 into the present vanden plas modernization

Hello!

my goal is to make my vanden plas modern!

The base car is a 1996 xj6 vanden plas in white with an ugly pinstripe and pealing clearcoat. Gonna redo that in a pearl white. Get rid of door bumper trim too. Gotta figure out what i can modernize on the body additionally.

the aj16 4.0 runs nice and will hopefully get a little air cleaner mod, SS header, cat delete, and a little nicer/bigger exhaust tip. Adding either the andys bracket or the ecu mod to finish it off. Simple enough.

First though no modern car has a tape player, so ive got a double din head unit with apple carplay headed my way as well as some other sound goodies.

im gonna document along the way, including posting info from this forum and others to show where i found the idea. Figure im looking all over for the info and will make it even easier for me to have it here and maybe for others to see it to!

Last edited by LordUnicornFury; 12-14-2020 at 07:17 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by LordUnicornFury:
Cafcpete (12-15-2020), cinutechs (12-17-2020), Mkii250 (12-15-2020), SleekJag12 (12-16-2020)
Old 12-14-2020, 05:37 PM

Heres the inspo on the double din. I ordered a unit and im gonna just move some buttons to the ash tray. Easy right?

Last edited by LordUnicornFury; 12-15-2020 at 07:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Cafcpete (12-15-2020)
Old 12-15-2020, 04:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

The "infotainment" is most definitely the priority in modernising these cars, and I agree that double DIN looks like the way to go. I have a parrot which allows my phone to pair, and stream music, DAB radio, and use Siri, but no NAV and it is a poor shadow compared to Apple carplay. The challenge will be getting the angle right, and finding a surround which looks good.
The export versions of the VDP are different from the UK versions, which were always pretty rare, but it does look as if your pinstripe is higher than "factory, which would normally sit just below the body crease.
The chrome moulding on top of the body colour moulding look unusual too and might be aftermarket. Were it my car, I might be tempted to go for black trim around the window frames at the side (leaving the gutter trim silver) as the sheer volume of chrome might in some eyes date the car a little. Lovely car though, enjoy!

LordUnicornFury (12-15-2020)
Old 12-15-2020, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by countyjag
The "infotainment" is most definitely the priority in modernising these cars, and I agree that double DIN looks like the way to go. I have a parrot which allows my phone to pair, and stream music, DAB radio, and use Siri, but no NAV and it is a poor shadow compared to Apple carplay. The challenge will be getting the angle right, and finding a surround which looks good.
The export versions of the VDP are different from the UK versions, which were always pretty rare, but it does look as if your pinstripe is higher than "factory, which would normally sit just below the body crease.
The chrome moulding on top of the body colour moulding look unusual too and might be aftermarket. Were it my car, I might be tempted to go for black trim around the window frames at the side (leaving the gutter trim silver) as the sheer volume of chrome might in some eyes date the car a little. Lovely car though, enjoy!
absolutely on that black out of the trim, heres the wheel visualizer that i was using and that had the car just like that and it looks miles different for such a tiny change. I feel like it blends with the window tint giving it a more sleek appearance.

Im gonna be making my own radio trim i believe, heavily modifying a double trim bezel to fit, im sure there will be epoxy sculpt or something of that nature involved... but its something i really want, all the cars ive rented have it and its oh so nice.

Old 12-16-2020, 01:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 997 Likes on 676 Posts

For the "coming at you" look may I suggest:

Mesh grille inserts
Light tint film on all of the amber lenses
Cleaning of the interior of the headlights, plus brighter bulbs of appropriate kind OR upgrade to XJ8 headlights.
Changing to body color mirror covers.

Agreed about the voluminous chrome around windows. I'm going to experiment with blacking out at least the B and C pillars with film.

Lower chrome molding strip above white molding is standard on VDP and XJ12 in the USA. I'm not opposed to it. But my car also has a dealer installed bump strip above that. It's a lot of lines. Oh well.

Sometimes larger wheels don't look right on the X300, but I like those if no larger than 18". Apparently they can fit the older X300 hubs. $$$$. 235 width tires so as not to affect steering too much.

Last edited by SleekJag12; 12-16-2020 at 01:10 AM.
LordUnicornFury (12-16-2020)
Old 12-16-2020, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by SleekJag12
For the "coming at you" look may I suggest:

Mesh grille inserts
Light tint film on all of the amber lenses
Cleaning of the interior of the headlights, plus brighter bulbs of appropriate kind OR upgrade to XJ8 headlights.
Changing to body color mirror covers.

Agreed about the voluminous chrome around windows. I'm going to experiment with blacking out at least the B and C pillars with film.

Lower chrome molding strip above white molding is standard on VDP and XJ12 in the USA. I'm not opposed to it. But my car also has a dealer installed bump strip above that. It's a lot of lines. Oh well.

Sometimes larger wheels don't look right on the X300, but I like those if no larger than 18". Apparently they can fit the older X300 hubs. $$$$. 235 width tires so as not to affect steering too much.
which xj8 years headlights do i get?

also never thought about doing that with amber lights, such a subtle thing but i can picture the change and it excites me! Same with mirrors. Its the little things isnt it?

im gonna sand my chrome and paint it with the whole car, but maybe i can do the window chrome in black rattle can for now

ill wait on wheels till next year, thank you for advice on the tires, steerings already ‘heavy’ dont want to change it to heavier. Ill make note here to contact wheel company about hub size in advance.

im also gonna try fitting the double din radio at top of the controls area, and move stuff below it. Better positioning, ill see what it all looks like pulled apart.

Last edited by LordUnicornFury; 12-16-2020 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-16-2020, 07:10 PM
Received 213 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by LordUnicornFury
im gonna sand my chrome and paint it with the whole car, but maybe i can do the window chrome in black rattle can for now
Might I suggest Plastidip, so you can more easily change your mind if you (or a prospective new owner or, perish the thought, a salvage operator) don't like the change?

Old 12-17-2020, 12:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 997 Likes on 676 Posts

I'm pretty dang proud of my tinted amber lenses:

All XJ12 and all 1997 base XJ6 (in the USA) came standard with black grill inserts. I like the look and it is a distinction for the XJ12 (until 97!). So there's another option for you.

I believe you can fit XJ8 headlights from any year 1998-2003 (X308). It requires the headlight mounting brackets and a slight wiring mod. Lots have done it but not me. Same is true for the rear tail lamp assemblies. XJ8 has clear turn signals that might lend to the more modern look.

Old 12-17-2020, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by SleekJag12
I'm pretty dang proud of my tinted amber lenses:

All XJ12 and all 1997 base XJ6 (in the USA) came standard with black grill inserts. I like the look and it is a distinction for the XJ12 (until 97!). So there's another option for you.

I believe you can fit XJ8 headlights from any year 1998-2003 (X308). It requires the headlight mounting brackets and a slight wiring mod. Lots have done it but not me. Same is true for the rear tail lamp assemblies. XJ8 has clear turn signals that might lend to the more modern look.
turns out my tail signals are clear! I also found some mesh grille inserts in the trunk, maybe it already got swapped. I found led replacements for everything, im gonna matte tint all the amber and the taillights.

Originally Posted by 944play
Might I suggest Plastidip, so you can more easily change your mind if you (or a prospective new owner or, perish the thought, a salvage operator) don't like the change?
is the trim hard to find? Ill keep the car till its too dead to matter

Old 12-27-2020, 10:38 AM
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I want to put the leaping cat on the hood. There are several sizes of aftermarket emblems. Recommendations?

Old 03-20-2021, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by denis4x4
I want to put the leaping cat on the hood. There are several sizes of aftermarket emblems. Recommendations?
ive got no clue sorry

Old 03-20-2021, 08:43 AM

I went MIA, had a client screw me on a job for almost 10k and ive been working awful hard to recover plus crazily my landscape construction business has been crazy busy all WINTER. Wtf 😂

ive put in 6.5” infinity speakers in the doors, had to cut lots of door yellow foam stuff.

it takes using a spacer.
Xscorpion SP-DE65 Stackable 6-1/2-Inch Speaker 1/2-Inch Up Depth Extender
Amazon Amazon

I sprayed foam around speakers after install, sounds great.

SleekJag12 (03-24-2021)