XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

1997 Jaguar XJ6 with 53K Miles on Going Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 04:02 PM
Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts
Default 1997 Jaguar XJ6 with 53K Miles on Going Maintenance

I resolved bunch of minor issues.

1. Exhaust noise leak somewhere and not at the exhaust headers. Resolved. I found a weld crack at the mid section of the exhaust pipe. I wrapped with galvanizing sheet metal and campled with stainless steel clamps.

2. Small oil stain at one right corner of cam cover. Will order new cam cover seal, easy job. Not done yet

3. Squeal noise from belts when started. Resolved. Replaced both belts but still have squeal. I did some research and checked the harmonic balance pulley with white paint and it was not the cause. I replaced the water pump since it had a slight free play with no leak. Problem solved, no more squeal.
While doing this, I notice the radiator and air dryer bushing were gone, I found some bushing in garage which I modified and installed.

4. Slight free play at water pump. I order new water pump. However, free play was minaue. I will wait and keep checking free play and will replace if needed. Simple job. see above

5. Front wheel bearings had free play. Resolved. I ordered new bearings but the old one was perfectly fine. I repacked front wheels bearing with high temperature grease and adjusted. Simple to medium job

6. Front shocks were replaced but they were not tighten down. Resolved. Simply tighten nuts down.

7. Left rear brake lens has a crack. Replaced.

8. Light warning on dash due to front left signal light, rear left brake light, fog lamps not working, and front left running light. Resolved. Harness under front bumper was loose. Replaced rear brake lens from Ebay.

9. Rear differential only have 1.4 quart of oil. Oil was dark but there was no metal fragments or noise. Resolved. drained and added two quarts of synthetic 0-90w. Simple.

10. Hairline cracks on exhaust header but only surface crack for now. Nothing to be done for now.

11. Interior light does not turn on when open driver front door. I still not figure out how to fix this.

12. Headliner drooping. Summer project. Medium on labor. Simple job.

13. Wood panels clear coat on front doors cracked. Summer project. Medium

14. Front center AC vent shutter needs repair. Summer project.

15. Club compartment opened but does not close. Need to grease spring load rod.Simple

16. Spark plugs' gap incorrectly. Resolved. Replace with OEM spark plug with corrected gap. I notice oil in two of the six plug wells. Cam cover seal will need to be replace soon. Simple.

17. Need alignment. done

18. Fan stays on at all time. I read somewhere on this forum how to fix this. This is my next task. I believed its supposed to stay on

18. Replaced transmission filter and oil. Done.

19. Change oil to 10w30 synthetic 8 quarts.

20. Brake fluid flush. Not yet.

21. Power steering fluid flush. Not yet. I noticed a small leak from line to oil cooler. Installed additional clamp. solved.

22. Rear shock bottom bushing is bad. This is going to be a heachache to remedy. I bought new bushing and will work on this next.

23 I could not identify where to grease all moving joints? I will look carefully again while doing the rear shock bushing.

24. Fuel filter. I just ordered and will attack this while replacing rear shock bushing.

25. my wish list is to install a Carplay audio head unit and figure out how to rewire door lock oem button and hazard light oem button to make room for double din unit.

The following 2 users liked this post by annamiata:
aholbro1 (03-13-2018), Don B (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 05:57 PM
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Nice list.

This will keep your headliner unobtrusive and buy you some more time before you get it done.

Amazon Amazon

Old 03-13-2018, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

#18. Both engine cooling fans should run on low speed any time the key is in "on" aka position 2. This is normal if you have the TSB modification, and I think most, if not all MY1997 were produced this way. Nothing to fix...unless by "all the time" you mean with key off and removed from the car....then there's a bit of a problem.

#23. There are only 4 greasable zerk fittings on the car. One in each universal joint on each end of the rear half-shafts. I do 'em up with every oil change/tire rotation.

#2/#16 - don't sleep on that cam-cover gasket renewal. You may find significant corrosion on that rascal, and if so, the sooner you find and address, the better.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...thread-163891/

The following 2 users liked this post by aholbro1:
annamiata (03-14-2018), Don B (03-13-2018)