XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

4 port ABS bad

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 12:40 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 4 port ABS bad

Hello pls read carefully. I have a bad ABS (the dash ABS LOCK TRAC FAIL light is on; brakes work fine; *all 4 wheel speed sensors are good with good output*) The ABS on mine is the 4 port version which is generally unavailable/ a lot more dosh than the 3 port. Is there a modification to allow a 3 port version ABS replacement to be used instead of the 4 port?
Failing that, assuming the modulator is okay, can I use the module from a 3 port on a 4 port? Failing that is there a way I can get the ABS warning light off? The brakes work fine, and again, all 4 wheel speed sensors have been cleaned, tested, and are good. regards

Old 09-22-2019, 01:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,387 Likes on 1,090 Posts

ABS fail code 1095 ?

Old 09-22-2019, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Lady Penelope
ABS fail code 1095 ?
Thanks for replying, I don;t get the Jaguar ABS codes with my scanner but the LNA2210-BB module is definitely bad.
I'll send the module for repair and post an update once returned. thx again

Old 09-22-2019, 04:01 AM
Received 10,544 Likes on 6,964 Posts

I am not aware of a way of going from 3 to 4.

Years ago, my 3.2ltr got the hissy fits with lights, false ABS activation, etc, so I reached up and removed the bulb. NOT everyone's way of fixing things, but, like you, the brakes were fine, and nothing sinister happened.

Had the module repaired, and refitted, and replaced the bulb.

Daily driver, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Old 09-22-2019, 02:47 PM

The 4 port is not available, the idea is to go from 4 (BB) to 3 (AA).
But the problem is not the pump/ modulator, it is with the controller, so will send the LNA2210-BA
module to a repair shop that rebuilds these.
BTW there is one '95-97 BB 4 port ABS modulator and control module on ebay (used) asking 499.95.... 2 sold and 1 remaining! lol.

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (09-22-2019)
Old 09-23-2019, 06:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,643 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Radical Idea, but why not just find someone with the proper tool to read the codes? Not sure how you can be so confident of the integrity of the wheel speed sensors without reading the codes, but yeah, the odds are it is a C1095. If so, a relatively cheap/easy DIY with plenty written and pictured here on the forum.

Old 09-23-2019, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by aholbro1
Radical Idea, but why not just find someone with the proper tool to read the codes? Not sure how you can be so confident of the integrity of the wheel speed sensors without reading the codes, but yeah, the odds are it is a C1095. If so, a relatively cheap/easy DIY with plenty written and pictured here on the forum.
The way to be sure about the wheel sensors is to simply connect a DVM and read the output by spinning the wheel. Very simple to do. The control module is bad, not the wheel sensors. It is a sealed unit, the module label says LNA 2210 BA which is one of the tougher ones to find used and not sure I'd want a used one anyway. There is a company in Canada that does a rebuild, but if anyone knows of a company in the US that can repair that would be preferred. Before saying there are many, all the ABS repair shops I've call in the US say they cannot rebuild this module. Just saying.

Old 09-23-2019, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,643 Likes on 1,068 Posts

That's fine as far as it goes, but that isn't checking the wiring all the way to the module(s) - I believe the left rear feeds the ECU for the speedometer as well, nor whether or not the module is interpreting it as a valid in-range signal. I suppose there are "bad" modules out there that have a problem that is not the C1095 motor pins connection, but I've not seen any reports of such. It is certainly rare, if at all, that they fail in some other way.

I can see where a company would be reluctant to take it on, as it is a "critical function" module and they probably don't want the burden of liability. As you noted, it is "sealed" therefore the first step in repair is cutting it apart. Ultimately, what is cut open must be sutured in some manner. Perhaps that part of the process coupled with the critical nature of the function it serves deters them. Not sure why the Canadians are willing to take it on.

It's rare as hen's teeth, and things get lost in shipping. Just sayin'

Old 09-23-2019, 11:08 PM
Received 13,255 Likes on 6,562 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya66
The way to be sure about the wheel sensors is to simply connect a DVM and read the output by spinning the wheel. Very simple to do.
Yes, that tests the sensors, but not their wiring harnesses. which are known to break from years of vibration or from being chewed by rodents. To test the sensors and their harnesses, disconnect the large connector at the ABS module and read the DC resistance across the respective pins for each wheel speed sensor, and while measuring this resistance, flex and manipulate the wiring harness between the sensor and the point where it is rigidly secured to the body. You may find that you have an intermittent connection in a wiring harness due to a broken wire.

The Electrical Guide for your specific model (always helpful to post that info) shows the pins each wheel speed sensor connect to at the ABS Module. You can download the appropriate manual at jagrepair.com courtesy of our member Gus, who also has some excellent resources on repairing the ABS Module.

The most common cause of failure within the module is cracked solder joints at the two large pins that power the pump, but on nearly all the modules I've repaired I have found cold or starved solder on lots of the smaller joints including the ones at the large connector where the wheel speed sensor signals arrive, so I just reflow and supplement every solder joint I can access. You'll find some repair methods that involve drilling a hole in the ABS Module case above the pump connector pins, but I highly recommend just sawing the entire back cover off so you can access all of the solder joints.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 09-25-2019 at 09:08 AM.
Cafcpete (09-24-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 04:26 PM

XeModex did excellent work repairing the LNA 2210BA . Module sent to Ontario Canada from the US, Xemodex had it next day, repaired and out the door back to me, received the following day! Very impressive and of course fixed my ABS issue.
The express service is twice the standard shipping cost, but well worth it, imo. Luckily there was no tariff to pay across the border... but a shame that no US company can (or will) repair these! (at least not any that I contacted) Sad!

aholbro1 (09-26-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 05:41 PM
Received 13,255 Likes on 6,562 Posts

Hi montoya66,

Thank you for reporting the successful repair by XeModex.

Cheers,

Don