XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

9.5 quart oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 03:01 PM
Received 80 Likes on 43 Posts
Default 9.5 quart oil change?

I did my oil change the other day and I did something I have never done before. I drained the oil before I went to sleep and let it drain over night. Which I'm sure is overkill. When I woke up I put the plug back on and changed the oil filter and proceeded to add the 8.5 quarts of oil.

I ran it to make sure it wasn't leaking and to fill the oil filter. Took a shower, and came back to check the oil and it was barely over minimum. I added another quart (for a total of 9.5 quarts) and it brought it to the full mark dead on and has been there since. All the other oil changes have been between 7.5-8.5 quarts depending on how long I let it drain.

Just found it odd because I was under the impression these engines take 8.5 quarts as that's what I've read here on the forum and on all data. What gives? Any ideas? I was thinking since it drained so long all the oil came out but still didn't make sense to me since this engine (to my understanding) takes 8.5. Always shut off and checked on flat surfaces by the way.

Last edited by Scarecrow; 09-06-2015 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 675 Likes on 496 Posts

Are you sure you haven't overfilled it? I think the manual says it has to sit for several hours between running the engine and checking the oil.

I'd suggest letting it sit overnight and checking again.

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 09-06-2015 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
Are you sure you haven't overfilled it? I think the manual says it has to sit for several hours between running the engine and checking the oil.

I'd suggest letting it sit overnight and checking again.

Checked it this morning when I woke up. Right on the full mark. I don't get it. Unless there is a quart getting held up somewhere else besides the oil pan. But to me that seems like a lot to stay in suspension. I mean, it's got to be overfilled, but according to my dipstick it isn't. Going to definitely check again tomorrow morning when I wake up after it sits all night.

Last edited by Scarecrow; 09-06-2015 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:51 PM
Received 10,537 Likes on 6,959 Posts

Mine takes 9 ltrs, smack on the full mark.

I let it drain overnight mostly also, so no overkill in my opinion.

My V12's take nearly 11ltrs.

At the risk of getting flamed, maybe you lost count as you topped it off. I do that, coz my method is to use a 1ltr bottle and keep count, but the JD between litres seems to muddy the process somewhat (one for the car, ONE for Grant), just suggesting????.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,643 Likes on 1,068 Posts

THat's why I use gallon jugs for the fill, Grant! Hard to lose count when you only have to go to two!

(I usually put 7 qts in, check for leaks and pressure, then top up slowly after I come down off the ramps over the next day or two.)

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (09-07-2015)
Old 09-06-2015, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
At the risk of getting flamed, maybe you lost count as you topped it off. I do that, coz my method is to use a 1ltr bottle and keep count, but the JD between litres seems to muddy the process somewhat (one for the car, ONE for Grant), just suggesting????.
No flame. I was thinking the same thing, I still have the bottles. Going to see if any are still full of oil. But I don't think so. I had a case of 6 (mobil 1) and 3 extra bottles to start and I ran to the store to grab another quart for the last 1/2.

The following 2 users liked this post by Scarecrow:
aholbro1 (09-07-2015), Grant Francis (09-07-2015)
Old 09-07-2015, 06:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

You are sitting on level ground when you check the dipstick, right?

aholbro1 (09-07-2015)
Old 09-07-2015, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by aholbro1
THat's why I use gallon jugs for the fill, Grant! Hard to lose count when you only have to go to two!

(I usually put 7 qts in, check for leaks and pressure, then top up slowly after I come down off the ramps over the next day or two.)
Agreed.

My way is more fun though, mmm.

Our oil comes in 5 or 6 ltr containers, and trying to tip that into the oil hole provided is tricky at best, and that mess is soooooo messy.

I tried a funnel, but the damn thing cocked over, more mess.

I went back to the 1ltr GTX old time oil bottle and the JD, now me and the car get on just fine.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 09-07-2015 at 07:32 AM.
aholbro1 (09-07-2015)
Old 09-07-2015, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
You are sitting on level ground when you check the dipstick, right?
Yup, also live in South Florida. We are at sea level, very easy to find level ground.

Just checked and I have 9.5 empty bottles Grant.

When I bought the vehicle, the spark plug seals were leaking so I replaced it, following the torque specs and tightening sequence. A few months later I checked and was still getting oil in them. So I bought another set, thought maybe they weren't seated right and put a dab of silicone to hold them in place per suggestion I've read on the forums. Could it be possible the seals are still leaking and that missing quart filled the spark plug wells? I'm going to check soon. But I just don't see how a whole quart could go missing past the seals. Maybe a little bit but who knows.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:24 AM

NAH.

I would have a serious look at the dipstick, AND the dipstick tube.

IF, for example that tube has risen up out of the engine block by about 3mm that would require about another quart of oil to top it off as per the dipstick.

Same goes for the dipstick. If it is not going fully home in that tube, you will get the same false reading.

I am not sure how tight that tube is in the block of the AJ16, but I have seen them ill fitted on the V12, which on that engine gives an oil leak due to its entry point. Worth a look.

That amount pf overfill will not reek havoc. It is still a very long way below the "whizzy bits".

Old 09-07-2015, 10:00 AM

That's a good idea. I made sure the dipstick was in the tube correctly, haven't checked that the tube was secured in the block. I'm not really worried about the amount of overfill just really curious what's going on with the extra quart it took.

Old 09-07-2015, 05:04 PM
Received 13,204 Likes on 6,553 Posts

I've been pondering Scarecrow's puzzle and some possibilities come to mind:

1. It is likely that a new or newly-rebuilt AJ16 would take 9.5 quarts of oil or more to reach the full mark on the dipstick; and

2. It is possible that Jaguar specifies 8.5 quarts at an oil change because 1 quart or more is retained in places like the top of the cylinder head, the oil cooler, etc.; and

3. It seems possible that by allowing the oil to drain overnight, more of the oil in the cooler and the remote or retentive areas of the engine was allowed to find its way out.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 09-07-2015 at 08:54 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Don B:
Grant Francis (09-07-2015), MountainMan (09-11-2015), Scarecrow (09-08-2015)
Old 09-07-2015, 08:29 PM

On ya Don,

I never went down that path.

The crankshaft would be the major item that would certainly drain out in that period. That sucker would hold a quart easily.

Don B (09-07-2015)
Old 09-08-2015, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Don B
I've been pondering Scarecrow's puzzle and some possibilities come to mind:

1. It is likely that a new or newly-rebuilt AJ16 would take 9.5 quarts of oil or more to reach the full mark on the dipstick; and

2. It is possible that Jaguar specifies 8.5 quarts at an oil change because 1 quart or more is retained in places like the top of the cylinder head, the oil cooler, etc.; and

3. It seems possible that by allowing the oil to drain overnight, more of the oil in the cooler and the remote or retentive areas of the engine was allowed to find its way out.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Don
That's true. I was assuming 8.5 was the amount from bone dry with oil out of all the nooks and crannies. But what you are saying makes sense. I'll continue to check the fluid level and change it again normally in 5,000 miles and see what happens. Only reason I drained it I like that was because I wanted to change from 15w40 to 15w50 and wanted to get as much of the 40 weight out as possible.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:40 PM
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

I remember reading somewhere that cars fitted with the optional "sportier" wheels also came with a different dipstick. I can't remember exactly where I read that but the reasoning for the different dipstick was that drivers opting for the "sportier" wheels was that they were more prone to "spirited driving" so more oil added would make sure the engine doesn't go dry in the corners...
Could be the original 8.5q's is the original dip stick?

Old 09-08-2015, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by AlbBolivar
I remember reading somewhere that cars fitted with the optional "sportier" wheels also came with a different dipstick. I can't remember exactly where I read that but the reasoning for the different dipstick was that drivers opting for the "sportier" wheels was that they were more prone to "spirited driving" so more oil added would make sure the engine doesn't go dry in the corners... Could be the original 8.5q's is the original dip stick?

AlbBolivar,

I hadn't heard that one before. I thought it over for about three seconds, all the time saying to myself, "Huh?"

Then I opened the EPC to check. Turns out the X300 dipstick is the same for all models, part number EAC9276, whether the engine is 3.2 or 4.0 Liters, with no option shown for Sports Suspension, Sport wheels, etc.

But you have to love a good forum myth! On the other hand, just because it wasn't true on the X300 doesn't mean it wasn't true on another Jaguar model...!

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 09-08-2015 at 11:40 PM.
MountainMan (09-11-2015)
Old 09-09-2015, 02:06 AM
Received 196 Likes on 108 Posts

The XJR or any x300 4 litre does indeed take 8L or 8.5 US quarts as clearly stated in the "Vehicle Care" handbook page 35.
What perhaps some owners are missing to note is the "Routine Checks" page 22 (copy attached).
Oil level COLD should be to the "M" mark on the dipstick & will go to the "H" mark once the engine is to operating temperature.
I always refill with 8L & observe these requirements with no problems.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Oil level check.pdf (443.7 KB, 274 views)
Scarecrow (09-09-2015)
Old 09-09-2015, 06:57 PM
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Don B
AlbBolivar,

I hadn't heard that one before. I thought it over for about three seconds, all the time saying to myself, "Huh?"

Then I opened the EPC to check. Turns out the X300 dipstick is the same for all models, part number EAC9276, whether the engine is 3.2 or 4.0 Liters, with no option shown for Sports Suspension, Sport wheels, etc.

But you have to love a good forum myth! On the other hand, just because it wasn't true on the X300 doesn't mean it wasn't true on another Jaguar model...!

Cheers,

Don
Hmm, I could've sworn I read it somewhere. Now I can't remember if it was somewhere online or a Jaguar handbook I have. I'll try to find it once I get home...
Hopefully I wasn't just imagining things.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by John Herbert
The XJR or any x300 4 litre does indeed take 8L or 8.5 US quarts as clearly stated in the "Vehicle Care" handbook page 35.
What perhaps some owners are missing to note is the "Routine Checks" page 22 (copy attached).
Oil level COLD should be to the "M" mark on the dipstick & will go to the "H" mark once the engine is to operating temperature.
I always refill with 8L & observe these requirements with no problems.

Hi John,

I think I understand the point you are making, but to be clear, are you suggesting that the reason Scarecrow needed 9.5 quarts to reach the "full" mark is that he was measuring the oil level cold but filling it to the H mark rather than the M mark?

What we have been assuming here is that the 8L/8.5 qt. oil change spec is for the typical change, when the oil is drained, the drain plug is reinstalled, the old filter is removed and the new one installed, all within a short period of time, but that if the oil oil is allowed to drain for an extended period, more than 8L/8.5 qts. will drain out, probably from the oil cooler, crankshaft and other remote and retentive regions of the engine.

I'm curious for you to expand on your line of thought, and for Scarecrow to let us know which mark on the dipstick he used for reference and whether it was with the oil cold or hot.

Cheers,

Don

MountainMan (09-11-2015)
Old 09-09-2015, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

There was recently a dustup (one of many!) over in the XF forum concerning the new Jaguar recommended procedure for changing oil. That is to use a suction hose from the top of the engine. Several posters are ADAMANT that the last little bit of oil that drains out when you drain from the bottom is somehow dirtier than all the other oil, and you miss that when vacuuming. Like many things, that "seems intuitive", but I am pretty sure not really the case. If there was some extra sludge in the bottom of an oilpan, I would expect it to come out first, while there was high velocity flow. It is not the same as pouring wine with sediment, or pouring dirty water from a bucket, because in that case you are decanting the clean off the top, then the dirty dregs.

It would sure be an interesting test to see how much oil actually drains out overnight after a drain. Thinking about it, I suspect very little- just due to my experience watching oil drain. I am old and arthritic, so I tend to not want to slide out from under the car whilst the oil drains, and my sense is that it is almost gone after about 5 minutes.

I can't run the test on an X-300 since mine are retired, and my new Jags have fresh synthetic, so it will be a while before I do them.

Quick Reply: 9.5 quart oil change?